Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 14.07.2014 at 04:50 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Roger Federer (Read 2802 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Roger Federer
« on: 25.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Roger Federer, born 8 August 1981 at 08:40 AM in Basel

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

Sports analysts have said that the phenomenal Roger Federer is to tennis what Tiger Woods is to golf. With his recent Wimbledon title, Federer tied Björn Borg's record for five consecutive wins and marked his own 11th career grand slam. The Swiss Post Office paid tribute to him with the issuance of a stamp depicting him holding his trophy. It's the first time in Swiss history that a living person has been so honored. He's still young and is on track to set more tennis records. Let's look at his chart this week.
  • Federer was born just after a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn in Libra. The conjunction is in his first house but close to his second house cusp. His chart shows two other sets of important conjunctions that square each other by sign: Mercury-Sun in Leo in the 12th house and Moon-Uranus in Scorpio in the third house. How would you interpret these three conjunctions with respect to his personality, his decision to leave school and pursue his passion for tennis, and his success?
  • He describes himself on his website as "open-minded, honest, positive, ambitious, friendly." In an interview he said, "I'm definitely a guy who is rather calm on the outside on the tennis court, but very emotional inside." Does his chart support his image of himself, and what astrological factors describe his personality?
  • Professional athletes note that pressure mounts with each win, each title, each record tied or broken. Federer has already established himself as a champion. Indeed he's ranked #1 in mens' singles. What factors in his chart might reveal whether he has the required temperament, dedication, stamina, endurance, and prowess required to keep honing his skills, endure the rigors of competitive tennis and continue winning?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Roger Federer
« Reply #1 - on: 25.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carol

Just a few quick initial observations:
How fitting that Mars would be Federer's most elevated planet, supreme athlete that he is. In fact, he transcends athleticism to the level of creative artist (Sun in Leo in the 12th Trine Neptune; also Leo on the 12th cusp) of the highest caliber and may well go down in history as the most talented player that ever played the game. Only time will tell.  
And how fitting that this very expansive but disciplined, artistic warrior would reach the very pinnacle of his profession (Jupiter/Saturn conj. in Libra in the 1st exactly Trine the MC) with wealth and earning power to match (Pluto in the 2nd).

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 25.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User M

Sorry been a bit busy, but im gonna look at this chart...
This is my own personal observation, but i find when people, esp athletes, have weak mars placements it tends to make them more ferocious and never say die...Mars in Cancer is actually a good placement for such a competitive athlete...In addition, Mars squares both pluto and jupiter, making for an excellent athlete...Mars/Jupiter placements are excellent for athletes, the square breads competitiveness and a dynamic offset between reason and drive...adding pluto to the mix makes him fiercely aggressive and prolly an abominable temper..
The pleasant manner is Venus in Virgo conjunct the ascendant...that makes him seem gracious and friendly, but lurking behind that facade is the scorpio moon/uranus with that steely determination and "still waters run deep" characteristic....the mars square with pluto/jupiter also does not lend itself to someone easy going...
Sun in Leo/Moon-Uranus in Scorpio is a very determined individual, he plays to win, very power hungry...very focused and very stubborn...the uranus/moon conjunction in scorpio prolly leads to very erratic and almost bizarre private behavior, esp as is squares the sun/mercury conjunction in leo..probably what he says and what he feels are very different...with showy leo being his talk and his walk, pleasant venus making him smile easily and seem friendly but inside behind the eyes scorpio cloaking a very determined and almost forceful and unyielding nature...
The Saturn/Jupiter in conjunction is interesting..it swept in a very different type of personality from the years before where saturn and jupiter were in virgo or other signs..i was born the year before in 1980 and i find that esp with people i know and others in the paris hilton mold, tend to be born very privileged and lucky...alot less complicated or frustrated than we who before had Saturn in Virgo and worse, Leo and Cancer...this conjunction brought about a bunch of souls who tend to be very successful early on...in fact this conjunction and after till 2000, this transmutation in the air signs brought a very successful 20 years to many idea makers, possibly greater than anytime in history...Federer, Hilton, Justin Timberlake, Britney spears, Beyonce etc even those who come after then like Lindsay lohan etc belong to this 20 year generation who will dazzle the media for doing very little..that is until pluto enter capricorn and gives them a well deserved kick Smiley

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 26.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

I feel a very significant factor contributing to Roger's phenomenal success in tennis is the fixity of both his Sun and Moon.  
For those who might be interested, I did my own personal statistical study a couple of years ago and found that the occurrence of the fixed quality in the total Suns and Moons of top professional male tennis players (singles only) throughout history was significantly greater than that expected by chance. This phenomenon held true in a number of different ranking procedures, and the bottom line was that the closer you get to the top greatest players of all time, the higher the fixity percentage.  
For instance, the percentage of fixity expected by chance would always be 33 1/3%, but in the category of top grand slam championship leaders of all time, there was an amazing 60% total fixity of Suns and Moons.
And if you consider the meaning of fixity (strength of purpose, tendency to endure a situation no matter how difficult or frustrating, etc.) this makes total sense in light of the absolutely grueling conditions under which the men are sometimes required to play. One match can last up to several hours (over 6 hours is the record) in temperatures as high as 120 degrees on the court, with limitless humidity.  
In contrast, this fixity factor did not weigh in with any significance for the top professional women tennis players, who are never required to play over three sets (which rarely last over 2-1/2 to 3 hours in length, at most) or if the heat index (temperature/humidity) is above a certain amount.  
BTW, if anyone would like a complementary copy of my article on this study (which was published in the Sept. 2005 issue of the AFA magazine), feel free to e-mail me.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 26.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Shelley Jordan

It's interesting to observe that Roger's winning streak began on 07-06-03, while transiting Neptune was entering into the opposition to his Mercury-Sun conjunction. His impressive success is continuing during Neptune's square to his Moon, which at the moment is exact.
His 12th house emphasis may hint at his charitable activities and compassion for the disadvantaged. During the course of transiting Neptune's activity he has generously funneled a lot of money into his philanthropic foundation.  
Also, note that these great victories and honors are occurring not only during this intensive Neptune transit, but also while Saturn is in Leo, where his Sun and Ascendent ruler are placed. In addition, Uranus has crossed his Descendent during this exciting stage of his life and is now opposite his Venus.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 27.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jotown

<b>1.) </b> " How would you interpret these three conjunctions with respect to his personality, his decision to leave school and pursue his passion for tennis, and his success?"
The Sun/Mercury conjunction shows the self-centeredness needed to make a decision like leaving school at an early age. It also shows the need for the spotlight and the fiery (Leo) passion.  
Jupiter/Saturn shows the balance of structure, discipline and hard work (Saturn) combined with wisdom, expectancy and optimism (Jupiter). They don't call it the "Conjunction of Kings" for nothing.
More than anything the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction promises success; especially with the trine to the MC. And Mars elevated in Cancer in the tenth shows the success would come as an athlete.
Moon/Uranus in Scorpio shows the intuition that gets you to take that first step in anticipation of your opponents next shot. It also gives you that competitive nastiness that a champion needs when they are in the process of annihilating their opponent.
<b>2.) </b> " In an interview he said, "I'm definitely a guy who is rather calm on the outside on the tennis court, but very emotional inside." Does his chart support his image of himself, and what astrological factors describe his personality?"
Venus at the ASC along with the tempering of Jupiter/Saturn gives us "Calm on the outside" while Moon/Uranus in Scorpio give us "Very emotional inside".
Saturn trine the Midheaven shows the ambition and Pluto sesqisquare the MC reinforces this. Jupiter trine the MC and in a tight Septile to the Sun speaks to being positive and Venus conjunct the ASC in Virgo gives the honesty.
However Venus square Neptune shows he may not be as honest as he would like us to think; and that there is a potential for self deception, especially in regards to romantic relationships.
<b>3.) </b> " What factors in his chart might reveal whether he has the required temperament, dedication, stamina, endurance, and prowess required to keep honing his skills, endure the rigors of competitive tennis and continue winning?"
Again; the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction gives him an abundance of "dedication, stamina, endurance". Mars trine the Moon and sextile the ASC show the prowess and energy. The septile from Jupiter/Saturn to the Sun gives the continual promise of hard work and good fortune.
He will be good for as long as he has the drive (Mars) to keep pushing himself to excellence, and with that trine to the Moon I think we can assume he will have that drive for a long time as it is hard wired.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 27.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Stands Pat with Full House

I am accustomed to finding Mars/Node, Mars/Pluto and Mars/MC or Mars/Asc connections with athletes. This chart is not quite so focused there, so I expect changes in his focus as he matures. Node lies across the Sun/Mars midpoint. Mc is a little wide of squareing the Mars/Pluto midpoint.
His success and popularity are considerable with Jupiter at the Sun/Moon midpoint.
His emotional outbursts under pressure are typical of a young Moon in Scorpio.
Jupiter/Saturn vs. Moon/Uranus: he is torn between his stable and wild tendencies both of which are considerable.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Jotown wrote: "Venus conjunct the ASC in Virgo gives the honesty. However Venus square Neptune shows he may not be as honest as he would like us to think."
Jotown, I thought maybe I could restrain myself on this (since I've been posting all over the place lately and people are probably getting sick of me), but alas I cannot (My Jupiter is probably even closer to the Asc. than yours is.)  
First of all, I just don't see how the above symbolism (Venus part) fits either of your statements, and in the second place, if you knew Roger Federer the way the other players, the officials, we the tennis fans, and his friends and family know him, you would NEVER even suggest that second statement (..."he may not be as honest as he would like us to think.")
I agree with a lot of what you said in the post as a whole, and in general always welcome and appreciate your knowledge and expertise of astrology, but the above is a definite exception.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Venus in Virgo is about an expectation of social (Venus) perfection (Virgo). At the ASC this can sometimes be seen as one being brutally honest or too honest.  
This is especially so when one has a Jupiter/Saturn conjunction. Since I had already expounded on the how the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction dominates this chart I wanted to give another attribute to honesty besides the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction alone; although it plays heavily on many of the attributes of his personality.
Also; Venus/Neptune contacts - and especially the square - is well known to be about deception; self deception in general, and deception (Neptune) around money and love (Venus) specifically.
NamasteSmiley

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Id like to weigh in on the Venus-Neptune contact...
I have a virtual exact opposition from the two, also in the mutable signs...and in that sense, Jotown is quite right, there is a degree of self deception, often times it relates to a fantastical sex or emotional life, rather than necessarily money...often there is a vivid sexual fantasy that is more so satisfying than that of a physical relationship...the native spends more time dreaming in many cases, then doing...
The Jupiter/Saturn conjunction is quite prevalent in those born in the year 1981, i dont agree that it produces honesty thought..what it does is create in the person the ability to move forward without feeling encumbered by past wrongs...alot of saturn/jupiter conjunctions in libra feel that they did nothing wrong, even when objectively they did...it is a position that frees the native of alot of emotional baggage that many people without such a position have...
Venus in Virgo can be honest and practical, nonetheless, i find with Venus rising in general, there is a grand sense of all smiles and charm, but often the person is either full of it or with ulterior motives...venus by nature is not particularly deep and in Virgo ill bet hes rather nitpicky and superficial, his gf is a supermodel and i doubt he values brains any more than looks...
When u meet someone with venus rising or even with libra rising, while not always the case depending on other factors, u should always question whether its a facade or ur being bsed...
A great example proves the story of a woman who met the perhaps two great prime minsters of England of modern times, Gladstone and Disraeli....upon meeting Gladstone, a Capricorn rising, she was convinced he was the smartest man she ever met, when meeting Disraeli, a Libra rising she was convinced, she was the smartest person she ever met...Venus rising operates the same way...silk stocking and smiles...and with Venus opposing neptune he could easily be fooling everyone...but with the moon in scorpio...what lies beneath, is something else altogether...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

M wrote (rather glibly, I might add): "...his gf is a supermodel and i doubt he values brains any more than looks...
The fact is Mirka Vavrinec, his girlfriend, is a former touring pro herself on the women's tennis circuit and has been Roger's manager for some time now. She's pleasantly attractive but certainly not on the order of a "supermodel".

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Conceded Carol....
I was misinformed...i shall have to check my sourced better in the future...she is not at all glamorous...hes not particularly handsome either...just a quick smile...showing how Venus bestows charm and affability, but certainly is no indication of beauty....
I stand by my other comments, though....

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Im having a mercury retrograde kind of day, even though mercury isnt retrograde...
Disraeli isnt a libra rising, Venus however, is rising in scorpio, which has the effect i mentioned in my earlier posting, sorry for the confusion...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Also, regarding the actual TRUTH of Roger's character (as opposed to unbecoming, unjustified, irresponsible astrological speculation), here are some other pertinent facts:
Roger was voted by his peers as the recipient of the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the third consecutive season. Just two others players in the history of the game have won the award three consecutive years. Also, for the fourth consecutive year Federer also won the ATPtennis.com Fans' Favorite Award.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 28.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

This next thing will probably sound like I'm going way overboard, trying to nominate Roger for sainthood or something, BUT nonetheless another top player on the tour (American James Blake) related in an interview how when he had a career and paralysis-threatening injury a couple of years ago, Roger was the ONE player who called and visited him while he was in the hospital and during his year-long convalescence (excellent use of 12th house Sun).  
However, I've no doubt that Roger is human just like the rest of us and would love to know exactly what's brewing in that deep dark Moon/Uranus-conj-in Scorpio stew.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 29.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Carol; I hate to interrupt your rant, but I must point out to you that this is an astrology forum and we are supposed to be discussing the astrology of Roger Federer and not defending him from imaginary attacks.
You do not personally know Roger Federer any more than anyone else here does. You do not know the true nature of his character. You merely have some media sound bytes that you seem very convinced must be true.
I said nothing at all negative about him in my post. I merely pointed out the astrology that is clearly visible in his chart. Ones admiration of a media figure can be a huge obstacle to being able view them objectively through their birth chart; and ones success as an athlete says nothing about their true character or their personality.
Michael Vick is a very successful athlete who is highly respected by his peers; yet off the field he was sponsoring and arranging dog fights in which the animals often fought to the death. His on the field character clearly did not translate to his off the field character. This is frequently the case with athletes, actors and politicians.  
This is an astrology forum and not a "Fan Site". I would really like to hear what you have to say about him astrologically, but your gushing infatuation is not astrological at all and all it is in fact a distraction from the astrological discussion.
Could you please get back to the astrology here?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 29.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Jotown, we clearly see some things differently, but one thing I do agree with you on is I'm tired of seeing just my input for a while and would like to see that of others.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 29.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Lets all play nice kids....
It is important to understand that all of us see different things when reading a chart and as many aspects can mean many different things, this is all of course possible...
I see Federer as an excellent athlete, very competitive and very fierce, the sun square moon in the fixed signs, gives alot of bite and determination, but it can also produce something of a control freak and one who demands his own way...a formidable foe and a perfectionist...the sun is in its glory and the moon is its fall, so what radiates (sun) is a confident, strong and perhaps cocky personality...Venus rising adds perhaps to this, with a quick smile and a nice gesture, but i find Venus rising, very often to be a bit full of it...excellent at getting what they want and naturally very popular, but many times, false...
I question naturally his Venus rising placement, because it is in Virgo, a sign that can be superficial (being a mutable sign) and as the moon is in scorpio, i often find that there is alot more anger and resentment beneath their surface, i add to this of course, the weak mars in cancer...so the combination to me forms a personality that is very determined, rigid and controlling, excellent at appearing gracious and popular, but somewhat inclined to be superficial and with deep seated anger and possible resentment...
The Venus-Neptune affliction can actually cause someone to appear as a pin up or sex symbol, but more often then not it causes a fantastical love life, at least in ones own mind, where love can be quite feeling and sexual fantasies are more fulfilling than actual sex...and yet on the other hand, it can cause love at first site and the possibility of finding one's soul mate, at least in their minds...
But i dont think that Federer is all smiles and apple pie..i think he is very determined and quite controlling and riddled with ulterior motives...the sun/moon square from the 12th to the 4th house, shows a conflict within...a strong conflict, well hidden in the water houses...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 29.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Therese Hamilton

All right, Carol. I'll add a post to the forum, though I generally like what you've been saying.
On the topics of psychological speculation, unfounded astrological statements and Venus in Virgo:
I have the Venus-Neptune conjunction in both sidereal and tropical Virgo. One thing I can say from experience about Venus in sidereal Virgo (or the final degrees of tropical Virgo) is that I avoid intense emotional relationships. I dislike movies with deep emotional themes (refuse to go to them), but am a devoted fan of 'Lord of the Rings,' 'Harry Potter,' and 'Star Wars,' all fantasy films that emphasize the battle between light and dark.  
This isn't how most astrologers would interpret my horoscope. Here are two predictions astrologers made about my birth chart that were way off the mark:
(1) "You'll jump into bed at any slight provocation." (Scorpio planets, Venus conj Neptune)
Fact: I was quite content to live romantically and vicariously in novels like 'Gone with the Wind' and "Wuthering Heights,' neither of which specifically mention sex. I see sex as quite a gross expression compared to the exchange of heart energy between any two people, whether child, adult, mother, father, lover, etc.  
Fact: One long-term marriage, one relationship in my entire life. (Neptune deals with the mystic and psychic. Mars is physical.)
(2) "Your mother tried to abort you and didn't want children." (Pluto square Moon): Fact: My mother was so concerned that she wasn't pregnant after six months of marriage that she consulted her doctor. She ended up having seven children and adored being a mother.
Fact: (Pluto square Moon). I have always been a true loner, perhaps somewhat autistic since I refused to speak at all in my first year(s?) Of elementary school. I've always lived a secluded life even when married and having children.  
Garth Allen was right on when he said that Pluto is a loner and highly individual, a misfit more or less. Examples: I used the sidereal zodiac when hardly anyone had even heard of it. My concept of signs (tropical meanings really belong to the preceding sidereal sign) is rejected by almost everyone, tropical or sidereal.
If it's not obvious, what I'm trying to say is that it's very difficult to make statements about another person's chart that would be entirely true. We just don't know how to choose among the many possibilities astrology gives us. This is why I stay with tried and true facts when I interpret horoscopes apart from an on-going personal counseling relationship where I can dialog with the owner of the birth chart.  
So very many astrologers with no formal training in psychology make psychological statements that have no foundation in actual fact. It's all pure speculation. Professional psychologists would never condone such a practice. So I suppose there's a plus side to astrology remaining on the outskirts of respectability.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 29.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Therese Hamilton

On Federer's Venus in the first house: Venus is in tropical Virgo/sidereal Leo. If Venus were really in its fall, would it bestow Federer's charm and handsome looks? Well, maybe. We'd have to study a number of horoscopes to have the answer to that question.
In sidereal Leo, the sign of the king, Venus is the lord of the 3rd house, Gemini's house, which represents the hands and arms--in other words, in Federer's case, the skill required in his beloved sport of tennis. Venus is also 10th lord, so the 3rd house is connected to the 10th.
(Thinking...This must be why in a recent project I did on lunar mansions and musicians, so many had the ascendant in sidereal Leo.)  
Federer's Mars (lord of 9th house of fame and good fortune) in Gemini is closely sextile Venus, so we have the fortunate combination of Martian speed and skill combined with the 3rd house. "On the court, Federer is known for his agility, finesse and power" [Mercury and Mars both near a cusps]. "Off the court, the...handsome lad is known for politeness [Venus] and frank [Mars] responses to interview questions." So sidereally all we need for these traits is the angular Venus aspected by a strong (benefic lord of 9th) Mars near the cusp of the 11th house. Mercury, the planet of the sportsman, according to Ernst Wilhelm, adds the finesse and agility to Mars/Venus. Both Mercury and the Sun trine the part of fortune near the cusp of 4th.
So the successful sportsman complex in the chart is:
3rd and 10th lord Venus angular in the 1st aspected by a strong Mars and the dispositor of Venus (Sun) with the agile Mercury near a cusp Plus the dispositor of Mars (Merucry) with the Sun near a cusp There is always this type of planetary dispositorship/interaction present in charts that describe a career. I have to admit, however, that the tropical sign of Leo which holds Rahu, Mercury and the Sun *sounds* more like a sports champion than these planets do in a sign called (sidereal) Cancer.  
Either way, however, this sign is quite happy to be the center of attention and the object of admiration and cheers. (Sidereal astrology places these traits with the Moon rather than the Sun since the Sun doesn't need support and admiration from anything outside its shining self.)
Venus is in the mansion of 'Purva Phalguni' whose lord is Venus. One of the traits of this mansion is said to be generosity in bestowing gifts, and Federer has established his charitable foundation that funds projects for disadvantaged people.
Federer has been under Saturn's major planetary period since late 1988. Saturn is with Jupiter near the 2nd cusp (resources, cash), and he's become very wealthy during this time cycle, and also developed his skill in tennis. (Jupiter is 5th lord.) He'll begin Mercury's major period in late November of 2007, and it will be interesting to see if any professional or personal changes come about after that date. He's still very young.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
14-Jul-2014, 03:50 UT/GMT
Sun21Cancer39'24"
Moon15Aquarius40'15"
Mercury0Cancer57'37"
Venus24Gemini40'11"
Mars24Libra4'25"
Jupiter29Cancer29'43"
Saturn16Scorpio40'49"r