Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 19.09.2014 at 16:47 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Tyra Banks (Read 305 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Tyra Banks
« on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

Discussion about
Tyra Banks, born 4 December 1973 at 7:13 PM in Inglewood CA

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

We've been told that obesity is at epidemic proportions in the US with several other countries reporting a rise in their populations' body weight. Despite our reported rise in heft, the numbers of diets, food allergies and sensitivities seem to increase daily. Anorexia and other eating disorders appear to be on the rise. Models and actors seem to grow increasingly thinner. Recently, Spain has set a new standard for healthier (and slightly heavier) models. Other countries murmured approval and French Designer Jean Paul Gaultier sent a plus-sized model down the runway.  
    Tyra Banks has been in the news lately, epitomizing this debate over health and weight. Caught in the media crossfire after an unflattering picture of her in a bathing suit was published, the supermodel didn't waffle. Admitting she had gained weight, she talked about the importance of being healthy, developing sensible attitudes toward food, and providing a positive image for young women. She even modeled the same bathing suit on her show. We're rooting her on and thought her chart would provide us with some interesting conversation this week.  

• Banks strikes me as an embodiment of feminine pulchritude whose attitudes are as lovely as her face. Where in her chart do you see her beauty and successful modeling career, her rise to the top of her profession? Where is the talk-show host and businesswoman in her chart?
  • Banks is not a vacant-eyed beauty. Rather, she is an intelligent woman with many hobbies and interests. Where in the chart do you see her love for reading, her need for physical exercise, her dedication to causes like education, literacy and the environment? Where is her common sense attitude that defies media criticism and embraces more healthy attitudes toward body image?
  • How would you interpret her Moon-Pluto-Saturn T-square in cardinal signs? Note that the Moon-Pluto opposition is conjunct her MC-IC axis (remember the chart shown uses the Equal House system, and the 10th house cusp is not always the same as the MC).

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Tyra Banks
« Reply #1 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carol

"Where in her chart do you see her beauty and successful modeling career?"
Coincidentally, the first thing that happened to jump out at me in this chart is that both Saturn (career, profession) and Venus (beauty, modeling) are the focal points of two different, tight T-Squares.  
I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but this is similar to what I mentioned about Dink's chart, i.e., his journalism was reflected in his Mercury (the reporter of the facts) and Jupiter (the editorialist) both being the focal points of two different, tight T-squares in his chart.
Just goes to show the power of focal points of T-Squares!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

(Second Try) "Where in her chart do you see her beauty and successful modeling career?"
Coincidentally, the first thing that happened to jump out at me in this chart is that both Saturn (career, profession) and Venus (beauty, modeling) are the focal points of two different, tight T-Squares.  
I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but this is similar to what I said before about Dink's chart, i.e., his journalism profession was reflected in his Mercury (the reporter of the facts) and Jupiter (the editorialist) both being the focal points of two different, tight T-squares in his chart.
Just goes to show the power of focal points of T-Squares!
And in Tyra's case, all the components of both T-Squares (in Koch anyway) are in angular houses, emphasizing what a "mover and shaker" she really is.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User sandstone

carol, i agree t squares are strong focal points, in particular the planets at the top of the t squares.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User cynthia

at first look, the Tropical chart looks more like the chart I would expect. I honestly know nothing about her, but this afternoon glanced through a magazine waiting for the dentist <errgh! Saturn squares teeth darn it!>.
Apparantly there's some big deal about her being heavy. Jupiter transits going on now, that's true in both systems.
The was interviewed and very direct that she knows what it takes to be thin, but just isn't motivated to do that now. She liked being naturally thin when young, but isn't up to maintaining that now. She enjoys food too much and hates the intense workouts.
I just thought I'd add that. She was refreshingly honest about what it takes to look like she did then, now. AND she said she feels sexy but honestly would like to be thinner if it didn't take so much work. I Loved that sincerity!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Penelope

No offense intended towards Tyra, but Anna Nicole Smith died Tuesday as I understand it. I have a birthdate of 11/28/67 Houston, TX. No time could be found, but with all that has gone on in her life, a rectification couldn't be too difficult.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User LWood

Interesting transits in her 17th year: t Pluto trn asc, t Saturn conj Venus, sqr Mars, t Jupt trn Moon; t Uran conj Ven/NN mdpt;
SA Sun conj NN, SA Moon cjn Mars
Prog Moon trn Mc, cjn Nept, trn natal Moon
Eclipses were significant during Tyra's 17th year: January featured a solar eclip on her Venus, and a Lunar eclip on her Jupiter; July saw a total eclipse exact on her Asc, it was metonic elcipse.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

Anna Nicole born in Mexia, TX not Houston.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User kathy  

Anna Nicole's baby was born on the day of a lunar eclipse. Anna Nicole Smith's natal chart we see that the eclipse was across the dial to Mars within a two degrees orb, making two strong midpoints to Saturn/Neptune, indicating sudden upsets and the undermining of health and the other midpoint to her natal Sun/Pluto which can mean a danger to life.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

Hi Kathy - here are some dates for you - haven't figured the chart myself yet:
April, 1985 - no date: marries 16-year-old Billy Wayne Smith. No birthdate for the son Daniel VIII.
October, 1991 - meets J. Howard Marshall. March, 1992 debuts on Playboy cover May, 1992 - Playboy centerfold November, 1992 - changes name to Anna Nicole, signs 3 year contract with Guess jeans. May 1993 - in Playboy again, later named Playmate of the Year. 2/12/94- hospitalized for 3 days mixing Rx drugs and collapsing at Beverly Hills hotel. 6/27/94 - marries Marshall. 8/4/95 - Marshall dies 9/27/00 - CA judge rules against her. 3/7/01-Houston jury rules against her 5/24/01 - LA Distict judge throws out her suit 3/02 - US District court awards her $88million 8/4/02-Anna Nicole show debuts 12/30/04-federal appeals court overturns $88 million 2/28/06-attends hearing in Supreme Court 5/1/06- Supreme Court rules she can pursue her husband's fortune 9/7/06-gives birth to Dannielynn in the Bahamas 9/10/06-20 year old son, Daniel dies in his mother's hospital room. 9/26/06-Lawyer Stern claims he's father of baby. 11/7/06-Smith discharged from week-long stay in Bahamas hospital 12/21/06-LA Superior Court rules that AN must bring baby for paternity test. 2/8/07- dies in Florida.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Edwin Stuart

Regarding Anna Nicole Smith-- sometimes when I set up a chart where the time is unknown, I just let my computer pick a time almost at random, sort of like rolling dice or perhaps a little like a horary chart.
So the ascendant I came up with was 25 and 1/2 degrees of Aquarius, and I think it fits quite well. She definitely appears to have some fixed sign rising. My first guess would have been Leo, but Aquarius makes sense. Neptune is at the very top of her chart and it definitely symbolizes her public image. Uranus and Pluto are on the cusp of the 8th house trine Mars. Uranus, ruling her ascendant, in the 8th seems very appropriate for someone who became so notorious over a disputed inheritance. And now this sad and shocking death, as transiting Pluto almost exactly squares her Uranus. So I think Aquarius rising fits.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

In looking at Anna Nicole's chart, it's interesting and yet not too surprising she has so much earth in her chart, and Saturn is even the handle of a fan formation. This makes sense in light of her driving ambition to rise above her background of poverty and abuse, and with her Mercury in Scorpio, no matter how much she ever got made fun of, she was clearly nobody's fool.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 08.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Edwin Stuart

Regarding Anna Nicole Smith (born Vicki Lynn Hogan on 11-28-67), I let my computer pick a birth time at random, which is something that seems to work better for me than, say, a solar chart.
The ascendant I came up with that way was 25 and 1/2 degrees of Aquarius, which makes sense to me. I'd say she definitely has a fixed sign rising, and although my first guess would have been Leo, Aquarius puts her Neptune at the very top of her chart, and she was an extremely Neptunian public figure. It also puts Uranus, the ruler of her ascendant, conjunct Pluto on the cusp of her 8th house, which fits the notoriety she received for being involved in such a contentious and unusual inheritance. And now there is her sad and sudden death, just as transiting Pluto squares her Uranus. I think Aquarius rising fits pretty good.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 09.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Mariposa

I'm sure Tyra would be understanding given the recent loss of Anna Nicole, but this is Tyra's thread. I definitely think Anna Nicole should be the next one. She was pronounced dead at Hollywood Memorial Hospital, Hollywood, FL at 2:49 p.m. I use time of death pronouncements for such charts unless the exact moment of death is sourced.
Back to Tyra. Wow - all that Aries in 9th trining all that Sag in 5! I think that speaks so much for her confidence, poise, dedication to education, and versatility.
Pluto in 3rd opposing all that Aries in 9/10 is an incredible driving force. Communication, anyone? Particularly to the masses in a forceful way?
Venus and Jupiter in 7th - doubtful that anyone with those placements could be less than a supermodel. In my experience, Aries lends height and Sag a bit of large build overall. I think Tyra looks fantastic at any weight and anyone who wants to criticize her for her weight is out of their gourd.
I've always thought she resembled a beautiful lioness - a woman who is protective, educated, communicative, and worldly wise. It's great to see that her chart reflects that. Moon conj MC in 9th opposing Pluto as well? There is nothing this woman can't do. I applaud her.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 09.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

You're right, Mariposa. My apologies to Tyra. Current Anna Nicole stuff that "can't wait" would probably be better on the previously finished thread.
Another thing about Tyra's chart: Her Sun in the 5th certainly seems to match how comfortable she seems to be in the limelight, whether it's modeling or running her talk show. And what could be more fitting than her Aries MC (how the world sees us) right now, the way Tyra came right back at her "fat" critics in full force without missing a beat.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 09.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Artes Perditae

Welcome Vertex! More in a moment but just to point out this- Fascinating how this chart has the aspect I have found to be most dangerous in the chart of women-the Mars Uranus opposition, mitigated by the moon neptune trine, an aspect most potential and powerful in women. With pluto, this is a person who intensifies everything, and with jupiter on the edge of many midpoint involvements, how is it that she has not succombed to overt, histrionic dramatic affectations? Like Jolie, the power of a cancer rising and aries moon. On the Mc. A sparkling and difficult, though rewarding, chart. Much speaks to a person highly sensitive to the excesses of the cultural imperative of the so called masculine principal, in a personal and affected way, and a distrust of it.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 09.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

tyra has a strong saturn being at the top of a t square and also the handle to her essentially bucket chart... this quote from wikipedia articulates a saturn in cancer near the ascendant and in focus. >>Growing up, she was very thin and often teased; she was considered to be "ugly." Banks later said that this was a very difficult period for her and she developed a "very strong self-image problem."<< i was wondering what it was about her childhood and early formative years that made a mark on her and it would seem this is part of it. she does have some conservative traits, in spite of the fire moon/sun emphasis, perhaps from the catholic school upbringing which would be in keeping with saturn rising as well. and, she has stated the importance of motherhood over marriage, which is a potentially interesting topic of discussion... once again i see this as saturn in cancer, with cancer rising >>During her career, Tyra always had a wish of becoming a mother, but her professional life didn't allow her to have children; she had little time for herself. She has said that she needs to be in a 'place' in her life where she is balanced and prepared for such a big step.<<  
her comment "little time for herself", and etc about professional life taking up her time also seems in keeping with a saturn rising.. it is weird, but isn't that what all of us do with our lives? we make decisions and end up viewing our decisions as somehow giving away our time, or energy to others things other then ourselves, when in fact we are doing it all for ourselves, as those are decisions we ultimately make.... or are they? do people decide to pursue a modeling career for someone else? or is it just for the money? that would seem to be putting ones own needs(moon square saturn) secondary to something else.... or is it that the fashion industry, her superiors at nbc or whatever the network is where she works, have all come across as power hungry manipulating creeps who value power over her personal feelings( pluto opp her moon) and don't really care too much about her?? it might be her impression and it might be true~!
i don't know... i ask these questions as i think deep down, she will one day realize it is her life and not something run by and for someone else...we are talking moon in aries here. i don't watch tv, so i don't know what she says and from reading wikipedia, i get the impression she says things that she may or may not agree with still...that is the nature of fire and she has a good bit of that, which is what the entertainment industry gravitates towards generally..  
moon in the solar 5th is about strutting ones stuff i suppose and it could be about wanting to have children too, as they are another form of self expression - tyra jr.
she is about 34 years old and so she has a few years left til the clock ticks down on her baby making abilities. perhaps she hasn't found the right guy yet, lol...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 09.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

that saturn is also at the top of a couple of biquintiles to mercury/jupiter with the m/j about 73 degrees - quintile apart.. perhaps she has some talent for talking(merc) about social issues(jup in aquarisu) and is yet a voice for a group(aq or satin cancer) of people that want to hear what she has to say... perhaps the industry is working on making her the next oprah... does oprah have children? thoughts from a rainy day here on the bestcoast.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 09.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

modeling strikes me as a fairly cold business.. i wonder if it is... however she is making/has made a transition from model to tv show host... i guess that is slightly different then modeling.. image still matters though, to an image oriented medium such at tv. one could say the tv has made image seem more important then the content.. i think that is how politicians get elected nowadays and i think it has been this way for a while...
i guess i think of modeling as some sort of saturn/venus type activity.. cold, but involving looks or something...
i also see the triseptiles from saturn over to venus/sun with venus/sun seperated by a septile.. perhaps that is fate at work, lol - whatever that means. saturn sure is connected aspectually to the rest of the chart.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 09.02.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Therese Hamilton

With Jyotish It's back to basics again. Where is Tyra's beauty and successful modeling career, her rise, her wealth? Tyra's chart is one that makes use of India's beneficial planetary combinations. She was born with an ideal female chart--the ascendant, Sun and Moon in even (female) signs, and she was born at night. (An ideal man's chart is a day birth with Sun, Moon and ascendant in odd [male] signs.)  
We can contrast Tyra's chart with Marilyn Monroe's and Kathryn Hepburn's. Monroe was the ideal of the desirable female. She had the ascendant, Sun and Moon in female signs, but she was born in the daytime, which flawed the fortune and happiness of that combination.  
Then, taking Kathryn Hepburn who was often called 'mannish,' and chose to wear pants as a child. Hepburn had the ascendant, Sun, Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter (considering only the classical planets) in odd or male signs. But she was attractive enough to become a unique and admired star nevertheless. Her Moon was exalted in Taurus. But she did not have the same feminine appeal as Tyra and Marilyn Monroe. This is one example of how the gender of signs is used in Jyotish.
Tyra's chart comes strongly under beneficial planetary combinations connected to dispositors. Her ascendant lord is Mercury, placed in the 5th house (but 6th sign). This is an average placement, good but not great. The secret to her beauty and success is in Mercury's dispositor, which is powerful in its own sign in the 10th and fully aspects Mercury (a tight qunicunx, second in strength in Jyotish to the opposition). Mars has added strength by being placed in the same sign (Aries) in the navamsa.  
This powerful Mars also disposits the Neptune (10th lord) Sun conjunction, so in effect Mercury, Neptune and the Sun receive the benefits of strong angularity. The Sun is always the 'star,' and in Tyra's chart it's with the 10th lord. The prominent Mars is also responsible for her natural athletic abilities. A big talker who has been a talk show host and got in trouble in school for excessive talking: The powerful aspect of Mars in its own sign to Mercury, also in a Mars-ruled sign (think a Tropical Sag Mercury), and the Moon (2nd lord of speech) angular in the 10th house and conjunct the M.C. (Sextiled by Jupiter in its fall--too much talk?) So much in Tyra's chart is simply due to the strength of a few planets. Her intelligence is due to the strength of Mercury and the Moon. The strong opposition of Pluto to the Moon adds penetrating insight and a quick mind. Much of her chart is hinged to the great strength of Mars in the 10th. To add to her beauty, this Mars is aspected by an angular Venus, lord of the 5th.  
Her dedication to social and educational causes can also be linked to a Mercury made powerful by the aspect from Mars. Tyra comes under the rulership of Mercury, just as David Beckham did, and part of this rulership (as per Graha Sutras) is a genuine desire to aid humanitarian causes, while promoting oneself at the same time, doing what one does best.
Tyra doesn't have a good chart for a traditional happy marriage. While Venus as 5th lord (children) is well placed, Jupiter, the 7th lord, is in its fall in Capricorn in the 8th house, and Jupiter's (and Venus') dispositor is Saturn with Ketu (S. Node) in the 12th house.
For any Jyotish astrologers who might be reading this, Tyra's chart is a good illustration of the use of 'cusp as middle of house,' rather than 'sign as house' for the house position of planets. Cusp as center of equal houses was the house system Dr. Raman settled on after many years of research. I've also found it to be the most accurate when considering planets in houses.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

Copyright © 2014 Astrodienst AG  - report a problem