Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 27.08.2014 at 19:55 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Ron Howard (Read 119 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Ron Howard
« on: 28.02.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

Discussion about
Ron Howard, born 1 March 1954 at 09:03 AM in Duncan OK

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

Are you ready for some "Happy Days"?
  • My first question revolves around his ability to project such an unadulterated wholesome image. For many of us he still looks like Opie or Richie Cunningham despite the hair loss (Have you ever noticed that he in every interview he is always wearing a baseball cap?). The movies he plays, directs and produces all have a sincerity and humanity that makes us feel good about the world. He even married his high school sweetheart. It's not a projection. He's the real deal. What is it his chart that makes Ron Howard an icon of dependably wholesome character?  
  • Ron calls himself a "recovering workaholic." Indeed his first acting role was at 18 months. He worked all through childhood except one year when he took off to play high school basketball. His life is swimming with projects. What makes his the chart of a hard worker and child actor?  
  • Ron Howard has five retrograde planets. What do you think this means? Astrological tradition claims that retrograde planets indicate delay in that area of a person's life. Lois Rodden finds that retrograde planets manifest early in the life, after which the person draws back from the matters symbolized by that planet until they are ready to pick it up again on the level of a conscious adult.  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Ron Howard
« Reply #1 - on: 28.02.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Pope John Paul IV

1. He has Neptune in Libra very tightly opposite his ascendant, which indicates people perceive him with a slightly skewed view, while not indicating a liar, it can simply mean he's a good guy who appears even better because of Neptune's influence. His Sun (self-expression) is conjunct Mercury at 10 Pisces, bringing more of the Piscean innocence. 5th house (creativity) is in Leo, ruled by that Sun, reinforcing that how he expresses his creativity will be in the "feel-good" Piscean vein (or, conversely, he could make overwhelmingly pessimistic movies, the key is that Pisces always distorts what reality is). Capricorn Midheaven indicates being publically perceived as controlled and stable, and his Moon being loosely conjunct that indicates he gets his emotional strength and fulfilment from that image and his career (his Moon is also his only Planet in an Earth sign, thereby strengthening it). He has 5 planets in Water signs, and 5 in Mutable, making him just slightly more Piscean than is immediately obvious.  
2. His Midheaven is at 15 Capricorn, which is the sign most immediately associated with a workaholic. Saturn, Capricorn's ruler, makes a sextile to that Midheaven, strengthening it. Both the Moon and North Node loosely conjoin it, and Chiron conjoins them, giving a loose Capricorn stellium starting on the Midheaven. Venus, Mercury and the Sun sextiling it all help for a career based around communicating through an art form. Uranus opposing it indicates a career in an unconventional field. More on that Moon-M.C. conjunction: that is about the most obvious aspect for someone who gets a sense of security from their career. The North Node also being involved means career is his great challenge for this life. How fortunate of him to be born into a family that immediately started him on the path of following his North Node.  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 02.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carole Hemingway

Squeaky clean, wholesome image, non-threatening, no ego problems. I think not. With natal Pluto in Leo in his 4th house and natal Saturn in Scorpio in his 7th, I wouldn't want to live with him! It would be anything BUT Happy Days. With three planets in Pisces in square to his Mars and Jupiter he certainly gives an unrealistic view of himself and can spend money faster than he can earn it. It appears his debts are about to come due with transit Pluto in a two year cycle that just startted to square his Venus and oppose his Jupiter. His Sun-Mercury-Venus-and Mars all square his Jupiter and transit Saturn has already started to square his Sun-Mercury-and Venus one wonders how his marriage will hold up. Won't be long before we find out, as transit Mars sets off all those mutable signs when it moves to Gemini. Transit Neptune is already in square to his Saturn where work and responsibility will meet with obstacles, and $$$$ problems. Reality Saturn interferes with his dreams. Deception, fraud, guilt and a loss in his life is just around the corner. With his three planets in Pisces square his natal Mars, he's his own worst enemy. This man cannot handle chemical stimulants. With his natal Moon opposite his Uranus, he is unpredictable with sudden changes in mood and irritability, are marks of this aspect, followed by "men that neglect their wives." His Moon-Neptune square lives in a fantasy world that is both confusing and muddled. Could there be a touch of psychosis or insanity that is gene related here? Rather than his wife putting a plastic bag over her head to cope, me thinks she will want OUT of this marriage. Enough already. Now if we just had her birth data. The childhood sweetheart syndrome is more than obvious, she just got used to him. Look for all this to break apart between March 29 and April 6; April 23 to May 1. He's going to need more than video games to relieve the tension!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 02.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Manuel Monasterio

The Pisces-capricorn Sun/Moon blend strongly suggests that in this person sensitivity seasons ambitious administration. This pattern depicts the "feeling businessman". The abstract and the concrete, the ideal and the practical, the visionary and the actual are all blended togeteher to put the personality forward. The strength comes from reserve; knowing but not showing.  
Now, the astrological fact that almost cries for its notorius, overwhelming presence, is the huge mother influence in the building up of his personality  
( Moon's Node Conj.Moon;Opp.Uranus; Quincux to Pluto and a Quintile to Saturn of which more later)
The mother is a driving force toward success in the area of "administrating progress"(Capricorn), and she is working together with father toward this goal (the creative touch of the Quintile of Saturn both to the Moon and to the Moon's Node). We have in this chart the saturn Retr. phenomena which will suggest, normally, a legacy of inferiority feelings taken on in the early homelife, stemming from a father that was not able to give the guidance of authoritative love, because of absence or passivity, or tyrannic tendencies or a combination of these. I must point out that, coming from a far country, I don't know anything of Ron Howard, I have read below his biography for the first time in my life. And even accepting all the "rose picture" depicted there, I must point out the strong suggestion that this man was heavily manipulated in the early homelife. Now, that he managed to make a extremely creative and productive life of it all, is another thing. Lets be fair and point out also that the Saturn Ret. is mitigated by Saturn Trines to Sun and Mercury. In fact all this patterns suggest that he succeeded to creatively put into work all the early home pressures toward success and acomplishment (his precocius presence into the acting world is wonderfully pointed out by Solar Arcs Direction: Moon's Node=Moon at aprox. 2 years old, ocurring at the 10th house of business, professional life, a most unusual level of manifestation for a 2 years old! and Uranus=Moon'sNode -around same age- and further on IC/MC=Uranus at aprox. age 4. All of this, notably, bringing confort, pleasure, -unusually changing scenarios at the early home(Uranus at 4th )-and entertainment in the child's life! But I don't think it was all roses, in some level it must have being quite a pressure over the child's precoucious sense of responsibility, which indeed and anyway confirms the Saturn R phenomena and Moon's Node Mother huge conditioning of his personality. Here we have a clear case of creative managing of family pressure, perhaps because the inner needs of this child where indeed very compatible with the pressures exerted from his parents. A beautiful and not usual family picture of deep drive-destiny projected compatibility!
Both parent's conditioning have gravitated heavily to model 1) his intimate presentation in close relationships and partnerships (Saturn-father image at 7th) Uranus 2) his broader social approach at 10th (Moon-mother) This is clearly obvious from the chart analysis and I have come to it before reading anything from this man life at his biography given below.
Now, next step, What about the conspicuous stellium at 11th ? This suggests extreme loveable needs within a deeply idealized scenario (Sun/Merc/Venus-somewhat wide but under span of consciousness orb- Conj) all projected though Rulership to Neptune at 7th . Extreme sensitivity and powerful needs in this area, quite almost imposible to realize just in common-day-to-day life. So, the cinema- creation outlet is a must to sooth these huge idealized needs, common human life is not enough! This powerful structure is in mutual echoing-profile with Pluto at 5th, which suggests a keen personal focus within the arena of emotions, within the many dimesions of giving love. A complex spectrum of insecurities about giving of the self can be brought to the foreground development and extend all the way to overcompensatory excess. And this signatures are deeply tight together by way of rulership networking: Pluto in Leo under the rulership of the Sun; Sun in Piscis under the Rulership of Venus which is in mutual reception with Neptune at Libra!!! What a closed circuit of energy in this area! Without forgeting that Venus also rules the 2nd House of Self-worth, with Jupiter there, Ruling the 8th where Mars stands, managing energetically the resources of other people (being the 8th the second from the 7th ) So this man works a lot to reward other's persons needs, he is deeply concerned for others' well-being.
Now, the ruler of Asc.
[continued in next posting]

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 02.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

[continued from posting above:] by Manuel Monasterio
-Mars- under heavy developmental tension suggests clearly the "overdoer", the man capable of arrive to exhaustion in the pursuit of his energetical outpuring. I will stop here, without continuing a very interesting profile that has many other features but ot will be too long an email. So I will not mentioned the whole fascinating Midpoint structures. Just want to point out the cardinal T-Square between Moon/Uranus with Neptune as focal or Apex. Here we have an echo of this man's huge emotional sensibility, completely unusual and as such a monumental signature of his whole personality. And last but not least, what about the Quindecile that Saturn applies to the Ascendant? This is tightly and beautifully connected with the Mars at 8th! (Ruler of the Ascendant), pushing this man to be seen as respectable, dependable and authoritative, holding a position of authority with others, bringing AMBITION (saturn) to fruition in concrete terms (Mars). Now, I don't want to close without pointing something too evident, I promised not to talk about midpoints, but I cannot refrain from pointing the following strong energetical connections of the Aries Point : AP=Mars/Uranus; AP=Mars/Node; AP=Jupiter/MC; AP=Saturn/Pluto; so eloquent signatures of the kind and nature of public projection in the areas that the life of this man so clearly manifests. And here I stop, pointing out the fact that the gross majority of my commentaries come without need to look at the biography of this man. The structures are clear enough when a systematic and reliable astrological approach is applied. Manuel Monasterio PHD Astrologer-Psychologist Student of Noel Tyl's Master Degree Course

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 02.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User marky

I'm pretty good with Rising signs (it's such a physical, intellectual and mannerism thing) and I have assumed for YEARS that Ron Howard had an Aries Rising. (I also wondered about Libra Rising-- the "sister-Rising" to Aries, but, as it would turn out, Sun in Pisces with Capricorn Moon and a LIBRA Rising was Jon Bon Jovi, which fits more with others I've known with the Libra Rising/Moon in Capricorn pairing).
But there is a certain sensitivity and vulnerability about Aries Rising which is often not credited by the standard 'Aries' stereotypes. A certain blend of basic intelligence and warmth (silliness mixed with a kind of human focus) which, amongst actors, makes them effective TV stars-- unlike film where they usually don't seem aloof enough to retain idol-status. In fact, despite 'Aries' cliches, it's the Aries Rising that actually gives Howard the gentleness and professionalism, NOT the Pisces (in fact, a lot of other Pisces/Moon in Capricorns withOUT an Aries Rising are often much harder personalities).
 Further, the husky-voiced mature intuition that he displayed as a child actor on "Andy Griffith" and the shrill, deer-in-the-headlights quailty he presented on "Happy Days" is a CLASSIC contrast with the Aries Rising actors and stars I've run across--- and it's really QUITE a contrast, which lets them play both smoldering and neurotic with equal aplomb... Haunted yet a sense of total absurdity. As a film director, they would be naturals because this ascendant really does NOT burn-out quickly when artistically focused, maintaining the overview necessary to keep a film project on track (Aries Rising seems to have a romantic side rarely paralleled) while retaining a sense of the pragmatic realities that must also be dealt with.
I'll leave the fate-related retrograde planet issues to others...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 02.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Robert Butler

The aspects to the natal sun are most telling of the inner motivation of the individual and Ron has the sun parallel neptune in his chart which means a man of talent/imagination, sensitivity and youthfulness. He would always look younger than his age. The creative urge is revealed by this parallel in the declinations. He has 4 other super aspects which help. They are jupiter exactly parallel uranus which means good fortune/success with the public/mass media including film, tv, broadcasting and live performance. This indicates a "fame" potential. He has the Magi super success aspect which is a parallel and he also has uranus parallel pluto which means power from the public, mass media, broadcasting, film and tv. He has venus trine uranus which means money from mass media/broadcasting/tv/film etc. The jupiter/uranus/pluto declinational Magi pyramid and the longitudinal venus trine uranus indicate luck in gaining attention/recognition and luck with the general public and mass media. This is indeed the case. Give me a holla at http://www.soulmateslink.com

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 02.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Speranza

Speranza's comments
I would have to say that the more mutable types(piscean nature for sure) have smoothness and charismatic abilities. for me he is definately a reverberation of a piscean and what is more his 11th house is saturated with planets in pisces: people, friends(sentimentalism?), altruistic to the max, even sacrificing; 7th house libra characterizes his relationships as always striving for balance, sharpness and analytical abilities. yep! certainly a motivated people person.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 03.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Chad Henry

At first you wouldn't pick this out for a show biz chart necessarily. One thing that pops up repeatedly in the chart is energy, drive, independence, and broad vision. Aries Ascendant generally indicates drive, energy, independence and leadership, and in this chart, Mars is one arm of a Mutable T-square, opposing Jupiter in Gemini and Sun, Venus, and Mercury in Pisces. The Sun conjoined Mercury and/or Venus can often signal an extremely idealistic person, and Pisces is often an important indicator of film/TV careers. The drive and energy in the chart are quite strong. The Cap Moon at the MC conjunct North Node and Chiron is a good indicator of someone with a natural public appeal and a drive to achieve career significance. Mars in Sagittarius as chart ruler can indicate a person who projects an ethical and morally correct persona; though Mars is traditionally peregrine in Sagitarius, his vigorous interaction in the Mutable T-square with Jupiter, Sun, Venus, and Mercury, seems to suggest a squeaky clean, though not sanctimonious, personality. His "aw-shucks" perpetual youth persona may be as much a product of his Piscean stellium, driven by that busy Mars. Saturn Rx in a chart is thought by some to indicate a less than satisfactory parenting history, especially with the father. The ego can suffer under such a parent, and one way of compensating, or growing self-confidence, is through career achievement--proving oneself to dad. The public spanking incident noted above in the bio speaks volumes. Saturn contributes a strong work ethic to the chart, through the trine to the Sun stellium, but it is not necessarily a comfortable psychological situation--this is a serious, even somewhat morose and shy, person. Howard's self-description as a "recovering" workaholic is clearly pictured in this chart. The Neptune opposition to the Asc adds even more to a certain imaginative and idealistic, even child-like, approach to the world of movies, accompanied by a very strong need to achieve. One wonders at his choice to fictionalize his protagonist in "A Beautiful Mind", although the motives are probably commercial as well as political--the Capricorn Moon seeks financial success, as does the 2nd house Jupiter. John Nash was primarily homosexual, though married, and a vocal minority feel that Howard's choice to leave out that element of Nash's life is both insulting and demeaning, to his character and his gay audience. One wonders if his Moon opposing Uranus (traditional ruler of homosexuality, though this is hotly disputed) and with Uranus ruling his 11th house, says something about his turning his back on such a key element of his protagonist's life. Needless to say, Howard's producers and his star, Russell Crowe, probably weighed in heavily on this unfortunate decision as well. Howard may be squeaky clean, and a guileless family man, but he is a canny business man as well (the strong Capricorn element)--his uncomplicated and sentimental roles in "Happy Days", "the Music Man", "Mayberry RFD", etc., seem to have defined his own tastes. "Beautiful Mind" is something of a departure, but still contains the audience-pleasing message of optimism and spiritual attainment.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 03.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Kathleen Imber

The first thing I noticed about Rons' chart is that all of the signs which rule those cusps naturally are there on each individual house cusp. (i.e. Aries on the first, Taurus on the second, Gemini on the 3rd, ect.). And the red hair!!! That's just a given right there. People who have Aries rising, lots of planets in the first house or Mars in Aries, will in most cases have a reddish tinge to their hair,(or just plain and simple red hair),and have a lot of energy and drive. People who have the the natural signs on their house cusps seem to have an easier time dealing with the energies of the houses, because it's like feeling that they are "at home", with the areas of life that the houses represent, due to the signs natural rulership over that house rather than a "strange" sign on a house cusp, like ,say, Aquarius on the 4th house cusp. I know two people who have a Pisces Sun and Mars in Aries. Ron Howard has a Pisces Sun and Aries rising. Pisces and Aries energies combined in a chart can be VERY difficult to deal with, but Ron has dealt with these energies very well. Of course, I looked to Mars (which rules his Aries Ascendant),to see what sign it's in and what aspects it makes to his other planets. Wow! Not only is Mars in another Fire sign(Saggitaruis), but it makes no less than three(that's right, three!), very close Mutable Square aspects to his Sun, his Mercury, and his Venus in Pisces. THAT'S what gives him the drive and determination to succeed, I think, more than even his Capricorn Moon in his 10th house opposed to his Uranus in Cancer in the 4th. That his success was made in television and movies( a very Piscean profession!) is no suprise at all. And the fact that he is always wearing ball caps (Aries rising) is no suprise either. Aries rules the head, and the first house rules the head and the physical body and the image projected to others. The two people I know with Piscean and Arian energies in their chart are as follows: One has a Sun and Moon in Pisces and Mars in Aries. He is into drinking beer (double Pisces), and is a card carrying member of NRA. He is very militant (Mars in Aries), about peoples right to bear arms.(Mars in Aries again). And yes, he has reddish hair! My other friend is ALSO a Pisces Sun-Moon combination with Mars in Aries. She works in a city jail as a corrections officer! (Pisces, rules jails and drug users and alcoholics), and those are the people she deals with every day. Not only that, she is in a male-dominated field(Mars in Aries). And she also has a reddish tinge to her hair!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 04.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Erin Sullivan

<b>Ron "Retrograde" Howard </b>  
All retrograde planets are so because of their relationship to the Sun. I have found that having a retrograde planet is equivalent to a strong aspect to the Sun. Regardless of whether or not it is a Ptolemaic aspect. Thus, inferior planets, VE and ME are either promethian or epimethian (leading or following) and the superior planets are all in the "opposition zone", or in a challenging aspect to the Sun when they are in their Rx cycle. With the exception of Mars, who is a rebel anyway, all Retrograde planets out to Pluto are between the two trines in the opposition to the Sun. This means that the Ego and the deepest inner Self operate contra the social status quo, and the indidivual is (with respect to the Rx planet(s) (either or both) a victim of and/or voice of the collective.  
Now, Ron Howard was on a talk show recently (maybe it was Letterman? or Leno? but I saw it. . .he had no baseball cap on, admitted to having a quick but non-lingering temper, and that he was really deeply pleased, but very surprised, that "A Beautiful Mind" has become so important in the awareness factor in the public of the devastation of schizophrenia and mental illness. So, I was pleased to see those things as shown in his chart. It appears that he is not so much the projection of "mr nice guy" as people like to think, but a very ambitious, very funny and very driven guy who doesn't suffer fools easily. He has a strong sense of justice and has no truck with convention. . . he supported the badly received comment by Russel Crowe by saying, hes a great guy, smart, and I think he's right. He just looks like people want him to, as Americans like to imagine they know famous people and what they are like! His appeal is the Sun/Saturn trine (SRx of course!)  
Using Placidus Houses and focussing primarily on the Retrograde Planets:  
(References to tables, diagrams, and cases are all found in Retrograde Planets: Traversing the Inner Landscape. Erin Sullivan. Weiser. 2000)  
Ron Howard is a terrific example, of many I have, that exhibits the retrograde phenomenon perfectly. And, thanks to Mark McDonough's encouragement I make some comments on the horoscope of this weeks "star".  
Regarding Retrograde Planets, the three most important features that distinguish them from direct planets are:  
1. Motion 2. Relationship to the Sun 3. Their ongoing relationship with the Sun in secondary progressions. (Based on the 'transit' model)  
Ron Howard's horoscope has two types of Retrograde planets.  
1. Inferior - Mercury and the Sun are at inferior conjunctions which means Mercury is retrograde, and moving at its fastest motion. It is only 27 minutes from having been in absolute zodiacal conjunction.  
2. Superior: he has Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto in the Retrograde Zone of his planetary array. Superior planets retrograde are always in the opposite zone of the zodiac from the Sun.  
n.b. (When the superior conjunction occurs between Venus/Mercury and the Sun, the inferior planets are direct, and on the opposite side of the Sun from earth. In Ron's case, he has a Mercury/Venus opposition, in that Venus is direct, and just past superior conjunction, and Mercury is retrograde. So, heliocentrically, his perspective on his values can come into conflict on occasion, and he can find himself a victim of his own inner drive. (For a clear perspective on this planetary positioning, See Page 9, fig. 1.2 in Retrograde Planets.).  

The behavior and thus, the function, of Inferior and Superior Retrogrades is vastly different, so they cannot be lumped together. The distinction is significant both systemically and psychologically.  
<b>Firstly</b>, the inferior conjunction of Mercury with the Sun is a deeply interior experience. By that, I mean he is motivated from within, powered by a wave that originates from his own energy. His drive is central and toward perfection of the inner ideal. For this retrograde (as with Venus) the earth and the planet (Mercury) are on the same side of the Sun.  
<b>Secondly</b>, with the superior planets, and their own rhythmic systems, see the diagram on page 11, fig. 1.3 in Retrograde Planets. In Ron's chart, he has a very loose Solar Grand Trine, which is a unique grand trine.  
( Chapter 6, p. 119 has a full explanation of the Retrograde Cycle of Superior Planets and the Retrograde Zone. For a full explanation of the Solar Grand Trine phenomenon, there are examples, passim, however, on page 153, fig. 6.3 diagrams all the possible patterns that retrograde planets can make. With the impossible misprint of the Solar Yod intact).  
The Solar Grand Trine is expressed in depth with two fascinating case histories starting on page 144 - 152.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 04.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

[continued from posting above:] by Erin Sullivan
This is not precisely what Ron Howard has, but bear with me.  
Now that the technical details are covered (briefly), here is how his retrograde planets "work" for him.  
The Sun/Mercury inferior conjunction (immediately implicating the retrograde Mercury) gives him inner vision that reflects the collective images that are rising at the time - hence, his varied career covering many aspects of human nature, including the darker ones. (SU* Ex Member Pisces/11th house)  
Ron's Sun is trine to Saturn exactly (1 degree past perfection) and ahead of Saturn zodiacally, which means that it had stationed-retrograde 12 days before his birth, and thus will remain Retrograde all his life. This is the "slowest Saturn" second to the Station Direct period, hence his conservationist nature and conservative appeal. I would actually consider his natal Saturn as Stationary-Retrograde because it stationed only 7 minutes earlier than its natal position, and remains a "Stationary Retrograde" as a classification for 24 days after its station date.  
All planets in their stationary periods have exceptional power - if the planet is Srx then, the power is internal and continues to deepen throughout the life. f the planets is SD>, then the power is externalized, and can be a force for the collective good or ill.  
This, of course, depends on the whole system of the chart, and also the character and background of the actual person. The level of production that Ron has sustained for all his life is in part due to the steady-state of a virtually stationary Saturn, in a perfect trine to the Sun - all stabilizing his solar purpose, life force, fuel to burn and so on. Saturn is a hard planet to shift once it is in its inertia. (Stationary Periods vary with each planet, in accord with their own cycle and relationship to the Sun - the tables are to be found pp 119 - 122 in Retrograde Planets)  
The super positive consideration in this aspect, is his steadfastness in friends, agreements, contracts - his word would be sacrosanct, thus his reliability factor is impeccable. (Eleventh house planets trine to Saturn, and also, by domino effect, Venus to Uranus - friends forever.)  
Motion is the supreme factor in all retrogression, and in this case, Saturn and the Sun's relationship will secondary progress to three aspects, first, the quincunx, then, the opposition, and again, in another 30 years, the next quincunx. (These are all quantified and qualified in Retrograde Planets).  
He is a man with a slow Saturn, and thus, quite easy going, not in a panic to do anything, as well as having an intelligent inner clock that sets his timing "just right"; if he is a workaholic, then it is because his need to keep the pace going is steadfastly held in place by Saturn, and it would take a conscious effort to adjust his pace.  
He is a man who could easily remain static, but his Moon/Uranus 180 gives him the "edge" he needs to enact a small revolution when he gets "stuck". His capacity to be universally recognized as a "safe" guy, is partly attributed to the Sun/Saturn-SRx trine and partly to his identity trinity (SU/VE/ME) in Pisces in the eleventh/twelfth houses - so others see him as mellow, visionary, pleasant and so forth.  
The difficult issue with SU/SA trine (either Sd or Srx) is one's relationship with and toward authority. Trines from the Sun are misleading, and have been consistently misread by astrologers for over 2000 years. All trines from the Sun to a superior planet mean that the planet is retrograde, and either in its Stationary Direct, or Stationary Retrograde place. Thus, there are energy problems, vitality issues, conflict with purpose and the planet the Sun is in trine to.  
In Ron's case, it is his father. His father might well lie at the core of his self confessed workaholic syndrome. A complex of characteristics about success, authority, authenticity, being the "author of his own destiny" and so on are wrapped up in his Capricorn MC, Moon in Capricorn in the 10th house, (not to mention the quincunx from Moon to Pluto as a power issue regarding love/hate and emotional nurture.  
Furthering on with Retrograde planets and secondary progressions from the Sun:  
He is a remarkably Uranian person if one looks more deeply into his chart. SU* Ex Member in 11th with VE in 12th house. The eleventh house is naturally an Aquarius house, and is ruled natally by Aquarius; MO 180 UR; And, he has Venus in a trine to Uranus. Very Uranian, hence, has a strong quality of observation, clarity of mind, and a nice detached way of going about emotionally charged issues.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 04.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

Uranus is a "fixed" planet, so it isn't his most easy going aspect, but it is his ability to be so clear and so without affect that likely he is able to give direction without hurting his colleagues or co-workers. His acting and portrayal of myriad "types" is partly due to this quality in his chart - inventive, innovative, restless and excited by new material and anxious to work with as many people as possible.  
Further to his Uranian qualities, the first aspect that the progressed Sun makes to any of his Retrograde planets is Sun trine Uranus! (Always a key to the order of development and the externalization of the Retrograde planet via the vehicle of the Sun). His progressed Sun came to trine his natal/progressed Uranus (the next big retrograde progression) when he was nine years old.  
This is the "trigger" for the natal "promise" of the applying trine from the natal Sun to natal Uranus. The revolutionary jump he must have made then, and for a couple years following that progressed SU/UR trine set him up for life and got him energized - fertilizing the seed for his innovation and multiplicity of talents. In fact, in the AstroDataBank bio it says that at age 8/9 he was in "The Music Man". Then, at age 12 he made loads of money.  
At age 14 his progressed Mercury stationed direct at 1 degree Pisces.  
This was followed by the movie "American Graffiti" at the age of 19, which is a nodal return, which is not significant in the Retrograde pattern, but does implicate his Capricorn/Saturn because of his MC/Moon/Node involvement).  
At age 27-ish his progressed Uranus stationed-direct, which is the only of his retrograde planets (with the exception of the inferior Mercury) which will change direction by progression in 90 years - his lifetime). Again, another Uranian theme. When Uranus Stations-direct by progression, a theme emerges which seals the creative and innovative core of the Self. In Ron Howard's case, there are so many aspects that are enlivened between 27 and 30 that one can only say that the direction of Uranus really accelerated his individuation process and gave him the right to do whatever he dreamed up, whenever he felt like it, and do it with style and always re invent himself with each new working project.  
Then, when he was twenty nine (first Saturn Return) his progressed Sun was quincunx his progressed Saturn. A major adjustment was needed for him to overcome any problems left over from his parental relationships. In specific, his own fathering and reflections on fathering - and it was between the ages of 27 and 32 when he had his own children, and likely consciously decided that "he wouldn't do what was done to him". This is a pretty normal circumstance around the Saturn Return, however, for Ron I think he has a pretty profound responsibility built in - to have his own family and maintain that family in a stable, steady and safe way.  
The other significant occurrence at age 29 was his progressed Mercury (now direct by progression since age 14) and moved back to the natal degree and thus, a consolidation of ideas, action, direction and a more outspoken and confident man emerged over the next couple of years.  
The next action by the progressed Sun to a Retrograde planet, is the SU/PL trine. His progressed Sun came to trine his progressed Pluto when he was 42-43. That brought to his development a great but gentle power. At that age, with the natal "promised" trine from Solar purpose to Retrograde Pluto, a core sense of inner power which, considering all and who he is, gave him the deep and gentle capacity to call his own shots, move his own world, and claim his own position in society. These time frames can span 4-5 years, so this marker is present in his Emmy award in 1998 - at the age of 44.  
The next significant progression was the Sun to Neptune. Because Neptune is quincunx by sign to his Sun (as was Pluto) the big moment was age 44-45. Because this is so tied into the trine to Pluto, this aspect is not "bad", but indeed, considering he is a natal Pisces, a film and cinema career man, so this aspect likely began his current phase in which he says he wants to "recover from workaholism" If we asked him, it might have been a year or two of "wandering in the career wasteland" trying to figure out what it is that he really wanted, rather than doing what others want him to do.  
The problem with a public figure is they become, themselves a screen of sorts, where the collective might project their own idea of who he is upon him. America needs "good guys" like mad, so when one comes up for collective projection, it must be very difficult at times - especially for him, as we shall see in a minute - to be "whole", that is express his shadow or dark side equally.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 04.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

Because he is now 48, he is still in the Sun/Neptune phase, and this likely is part of his "softening", his decrease in driving ambition which has been his inner motivation and likely, a bit of a demon, too. Interestingly enough, Neptune is an agent for madness, and "A Beautiful Mind" was a beautiful portrayal of a devastating illness of a man of science (also a Neptunian "work") who had Saturn singleton Retrograde. This is the "lonely planet" position. The story obviously struck a chord with Ron Howard, whose Mars in Sagittarius is close to John Nash's sad old Saturn in Sagittarius. (Saturn singleton Retrograde is dealt with in depth in Chapter 9, pp 207-228 of Retrograde Planets, including many exemplars of that isolated, ivory tower of an aspect).  
Now as the movie, "A Beautiful Mind", gains in popularity and recognition - granted an imaginative and gentle portrayal of him and his life - transiting Pluto is stationing retrograde, while transiting Saturn will be opposite to his natal Saturn Rx during the Academy Awards month! Maybe John Nash will receive an Academy Award - by proxy - as well as having achieved a Nobel Prize during his heroic life.  
The movie itself has no pretense toward realism or rigorously adhering to the book; but it is gripping, emotive, brilliant and exceptional in its presentation, with a bit of a trickster twist to it - a Ron Howard Uranian Dream. As for Ron Howard's retrograde "voice of the collective" - especially the darker side - this movie has done much for mobilizing the understanding of mental illness and especially the havoc of schizophrenia.  
John Nash has lived long enough, and been cared for enough, has not taken any medication since 1973, and has found a method to differentiate between his hallucinations and the consensus reality. This is a very, very rare thing indeed. We need a birth time for him! (As an added note, John's forty year old son has the disease as well, and is very ill with it, but does take medication.)  
Back to Ron, and his future:  
The next significant movement with respect to Sun/Retrograde planets will come in his 57/58th years, when Progressed Sun is opposite to progressed Saturn, that is the "lead up" to the 60th year when his progressed Sun is opposite to his natal Saturn. At that time, he will face his reality and authenticity and undergo a major shift in his position relative to his work in the public.  
Now, because this will take place in the 1st/7th house axis, there also may be a significant process occur in his marriage. Or partnerships in his work. That he will also be experiencing his Second Saturn return in this phase of life (as he had his first Saturn Return when his progressed Sun made the accelerating retrograde quincunx), this phase of his life is bound up with taking stock, making important changes to the quality of his life and maybe, he will be used to being bald by then, and stop wearing baseball caps.  
Now, I am sure Ron Howard is a delightful man, and a good hearted man, with much to offer but the fact is he does have a Mars/Jupiter/Sun*Mercury T-square. This aspect is ebullient, excitable, hyperactive and shows us a man whose dreams are vast. Because of those "big" dreams, coupled with a primarily gentle horoscope, he might have found himself limited by his "clean cut" appearance, but hey, astrology isn't everything - after all, there are genetics, and he was born in Oklahoma! In that alone, the cultural aspect of his nature is collectively easy going and slow moving.  
But, he is none of those things on the inside. He is quick, agile, impatient, rushed, full of too many ideas, not all of which come to screen. But, then, when told "All your ideas are brilliant", Einstein replied on the contrary, he had millions of ideas, a few of which were brilliant. I think this might also be a Ron Howard approach to the life of his mind, and his creativity.  
Now, next in the Retrograde Phenomenon.  
When one has four or more superior planets retrograde, they are on the other side of the chart from the identity trinity. In this case, he has UR/PL/NE/SA on the Western side, with SU/ME/VE on the eastern side. The thing I found most common with this situation is that the individual is both a voice of and a victim of the collective. (See "Oscar", chapter 14, page 280 in Retrograde Planets).  
This situation with the outer planets, including the boundary planet, saturn, all in the opposition zone means that the person not only is experiencing the world around him/her as something to oppose, but also is experiencing the world "out there" as a reflection of his/her own deep Self. In plain English it means that by the grace of the Fates, he is not a madman, but is sane and also productive.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 04.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

Clearly he has not only health and intelligence on his side, but also that mysterious thing called "Fate".  
As a projicient (a receiver of projection) he could easily internalize the social complexes in his society and fall ill due to expectations from others, and if he actually took his persona, his public image seriously, he could also fall ill, or become inflated.  
That he appears not to have done, and indeed plays up the "home boy" image, the baseball cap, the self-effacing interviews (and blessed few of those) his family (married his high school sweetheart) values, and his obvious pleasure he gets from his work - well, all that is not only real, but is also his way of staying sane.  
What we don't' see is his anxiety level. That T-cross aforementioned is a big case of nerves as well, he is jumpy and irritable. Likely he has found outlets. The bigger the arena for a person of this energy level, the less everyone suffers. Especially Ron.  
The power of having four or more superior planets retrograde can just as easily introject into a self-destructive mode (see the list of well known individuals with multiple retrogrades on page 162, in Retrograde Planets; it is preceded by a list of people with no retrograde planets on page 161).  
The reason all this projection/introjection is inherent in the retrograde principle is because of the opposition from the Sun to the rx planet in question. The opposition (and I have extended this into the trine form from the point of the Sun's position) are the most easily projected (pro-iecere) aspect in that one can "throw" their Sun (self, ego, vitality, etc.) out toward the planet it is opposite to, and expect that to be the best way to go about being independent.  
The opposite usually is true, in that if we project our own power on to another person, it is guaranteed not to be used as well or in the way in which we might use it ourselves. Hence, the big lesson for oppositions, and for superior retrogrades lies in taking control of one's own power (related to the planet in question) and "throwing it out" to the collective as work, ideas, projects, support and so on. Whether or not Ron Howard thinks this way, is unknown to me, but I would suggest that indeed, he is a "voice of the collective" rather than a "victim" of it.  
The next big retrograde "event" will be when he is 84, and Mars will Station Retrograde by secondary progression, as he achieves his Uranus return! We can only guess. . . .  
Movie stars and highly profiled people are helpful to us as individuals - we get to live out parts of ourselves as we see them in others. As I mentioned the USA is in dire need of "nice guys and gals". And, there are a few of them who actually are nice as well as powerful. It seems Ron Howard is one of them

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 05.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Maggie Anderson

"Declination = A Beautiful Mind"  
John Nash, the subject of Ron Howard's film, "A Beautiful Mind," has natal Venus (beauty) at 17:29 Gemini and natal Mercury (mind) at 12:10 Cancer. These are parallel, or conjunct, by declination. A Beautiful Mind indeed. These two planets also exchange antiscia: the antiscia of Mercury at 17:50 Gemini falling exactly on Venus and the antiscia of Venus at 12:31 Cancer conjunct Gemini. In addition, Venus is out-of-bounds, or in an extreme position by declination (past the Sun's furthest point of 23:27 degrees North or South of the equator). In Gemini, this suggests Nash places an unusually high value on rational thought. I believe Mercury in Cancer thus connected with this particular Venus describes a biological basis for Nash's schizophrenia.  
Ron Howard's Jupiter is exactly conjunct Nash's Venus and this is in Howard's 2nd house of money. He will profit exceedingly from this film. Russell Crowe's natal Venus at 02 Gemini also falls in Howard's money house. His choice of starring actor will pay off at the box office.  
Russell Crowe's Mars (physical energy) at 06 Aries is conjunct Nash's Uranus (higher mind, nonconformity) at 07 Aries. Crowe did an utterly magnificent job of interpreting the physical mannerisms and quirky eccentricities of the schizophrenic genius and Nobel Prize winner, Nash. It's a great film!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 07.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Bill Lindsay

Here are my comments on Ron Howard's chart...
1. Wholesomeness...hmmm...I see that the Moon is at the very tip top of his chart, and he has strong 12th House Pisces placements with some good trines to Saturn in Scorpio...he is dependable to the end...especially with Taurus rising(the ascendant is less than 5 degrees away from 0Taurus)...but he is hardly so innocent as he may look...the squares to his 7th House Neptune suggest that time and again others have let him down but he is responsible for this in that he allows himself to paint a perfect picture of them...he has very high ideals that I imagine he finds hard to live up to himself...but he is a natural film-maker and his films show a deep understanding of the human psyche...though with a touch of idealism...I loved "Night Shift" in which he cast his friends Henry Winkler, Michael Keaton and Shelley Long...but I found it a bit farfetched, even for a comedy...Neptune can be an illusionist when challenged...if his marriage is really actually a mess we may never truly know. 2. hard worker....He has the Moon in the 10th, so he practically lives on the job...Chiron there gives a sense that there is always something there that needs to be fixed and perfected...the inpending Aquarius vibe in that house (plus the presence of Uranus in a strong spot near the bottom) makes him very restless and full of new ideas to implement...Mars in Sagittarius, and challenged gives him no sympathy for the lazy man, regardless of the hardships, he will work in the rain and snow if he has to...interesting he calls himself a workaholic ('recovering', but workaholic nonetheless)...there is this sense of things never being enough...never enough effort...always has to be bigger and better next time...work can be an addiction with him...he may run himself ragged...Mars challenged often brings hair loss in men...suppressed anger burns the roots out...his Mars is in his 8th so he may be hiding his anger or burying it...trickster Mercury is in Pisces and strong, this may be his child actor source...it is also trine to Saturn and closely conjunct the Sun, so he loves the adult attention he gets, and also he may be drawing upon his own experiences in the past(the Pisces/Neptune influence) which is what makes him such a convincing actor...a strong Saturn encourages a child to discipline himself early. 3. retrogrades...that's a tricky question...Mercury and Venus can only go retrograde when they are on the near side of the Sun, and that is when they overtake the Earth in their respective orbits...this gives more a sense of those matters actually moving very quickly because those planets move faster than the Earth...they transit the Sun's face, go long then move 'forward' again on the other side...like watching cars go around on a mountain road...this is not so with the other planets, Mars through Pluto...they go retro as the Earth begins to move between that planet and the Sun...the retrograde motion peaks when that planet is at opposition to the Sun, then subsides as the opposition fades...perhaps we should include the Sun in our interpretation of retro motion(for the outer planets)...if the planet retrograding is opposite the Sun, we are probably more likely to see that planet act through others instead of ourselves. I think there are various nuances to consider, too many to allow for such a simplistic interpretation...like, whether the Earth has already overtaken that (outer) planet, or whether Mercury or Venus has overtaken the Earth, etc. Retrogrades are where one planet is overtaking (not necessarily 'has overtaken') another. This matter bears further scrutiny. I must also point out that Ron's Pisces Mercury is retro, and because Mercury has already moved back over the Sun's face, Mercury had already overtaken the Earth in his path...Ron wore the comedy/tragedy masks very early in life, as we have witnessed. Hard to stay abreast of that magician.
Thanks so much

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 07.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Connie

Ordinarally I see so many retrograde planets AND I see a troubled person who believes he/she is severly misunderstood, no one sees them as they really are, etc, and a misfit in society(their judgement) and an inability to 'fit in'..and often suicidal because of it..some take the long way like Janis Joplin and Hendrix thru drugs and distructive living..Its those retrogrades that give them deeper perspective tho and unique expressions, some finding peace in art or non verbal expressions...BUT Ron Howard got into life right away and copied mom and dad, in his case good role models..conventional life at home wasnt the usual conventional life and standards we might see in home and fundamental type upbringing(couldnt be with Moon and Chiron oppossite Uranus!)and religion. He even married someone he KNEW well. Normally, Moon square Neptune and oppossite Uranus--or saturn AND neptune retrograde in 7th--would not evoke 'normal' marriage either. Also, Chiron in 10th usually indicates NOT wanting power but being obliged, eventually, to take the responsibity and Cap IS ambitious...as is the rest of his chart..the workaholic syndrom is common with all those cardinal planets, especially status seeking N. Node in Cap...is destiny is to LEAD and he does thru his films and directing others, maybe he works out those urges so he doesnt overcontrol at home?? he is a fulfilled man and I suspect the Aries ascendant--and those cardinal planets, even the cardinal squares, create push. Those cap planets--and node--give strength to his softer Pices nature, and being in the urbane Aquarius house, an objective view..He would be into humanitarism whatever his profession, Venus in Pices is a soft sympathetic sign and these people give and give and is in a nice water trine to his 7th house saturn, easing the karmic debt there--the saturn in turn is sextile his conservative, stick-to-the-grindstone values..In marriage his cancer 4th and cap 9th and 10th show commitment and family comes first..Chiron is cap transiting his 9th now so a 'recap' of what REALLY matters to him is health before Chiron return sometime this year. If he does have any private "issues" dealing with retrogrades, as Rodden suggests, Im sure hell deal with them PRIVATELY. note: Einstein had Chiron in Taurus conjunct Neptun in Taurus in 10th !! He didnt want POWER but he understoon POWER and eventually had POWER over our attitude, world conditions, science and--especially new discoveries using his theories. His vocation was physics, working in another world not clear to normal eye. Ron Howard works in the material and LEARNS as he goes and creates QUALITY also. his neptune emphasis is different but both have neptune prominent..as his spiritual beliefs develope he may attempt to reproduce them in stories...Uranus in Cancer in 3rd house, jupiter in gemini in 2nt(values)suggest this too.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 24.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carole Hemingway

Oscar Winners? With transit Mercury in 19-Pisces on Oscar night in square to transit Pluto in Sagittarius 17-degrees, although Howard's Uranus in 19-degrees Cancer is in trine, Pluto is another story as transit Pluto is now in square to Howard's Venus in Pisces and opposite his Jupiter in Gemini as well as opposing Nash's Venus. Although Pluto-Venus is true to be transformation; Howard could lose due to his script writer in not presenting all the facts! It's never easy to write a film bio when the subject is still alive. Note: The film UP, CLOSE AND PERSONAL based on the life of Jessica Savitch. Disney took it down a rose-colored garden path, and although I adore Robert Redford who was cast well with Michelle Pfeiffer, the author, Alanna Nash was short changed because her book is awesome!!!  
I voted for "In The Bedroom" and Todd Fields, Director who is a breath of "fresh air" for Hollywood.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 24.03.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jane Griscti

Awards related to the career would fall under the 10th House of reputation, including the MC. Honours generally fall under the Sun's rule.
Using the Placidus house system, Howard's 10th House and MC are ruled by the Moon (in the 10th) and Saturn (Capricorn on the 10th cusp).  
Natally, Howard's chart indicates difficulties obtaining recognition for his film work: Neptune (movies) square (obstacle) the Moon in the 10th, opposite the Asc and sesqui-square (agitation) the Sun (significance). Pluto (groups) in his 5th house of entertainment is also inconjunct (strain) his Moon and Mars (Asc ruler) is semi-square (friction) the Moon.  
His prog Mars (Asc ruler) has moved to sextile (opportunity) his prog MC which is exactly trine (luck) his prog Moon. His prog Asc has moved to conjunct (prominence) his prog Jupiter in his second house of possessions while sextiling prog Pluto (groups). These aspects can act to relieve the difficulties he generally experiences in obtaining recognition.
At the same time, his prog Sun is parallel both his MC and Saturn (co-ruler of the tenth), Venus (gratuities) is parallel his prog Moon, and his prog Asc is parallel his natal MC. All these parallels are strengthening the 10th and intensifying all related conditions while his prog MC has moved to parallel his natal Asc and prog Jupiter and Mars are parallel his prog Asc. All of these aspects are being reinforced by Minor prog aspects.  
Today, transit Mars (his Asc ruler), will trine (luck) his natal MC while transit Neptune (movies) sextiles (opportunity) his natal MC. Jupiter (rewards) will trine (luck) his prog Saturn (co-ruler of 10th) while transit Sun will inconjunct (expand) his prog Moon and semi-sextile (growth) his prog MC.
All this could just be an indication of the publicity and notice he's received for being nominated and it's difficult to compare his chances without seeing the charts of his competitors but all and all I'd say things are looking good for him tonight.
Transit Saturn does square his natal Mercury (he may be thinking he won't win because of the criticism he's received) and transit Pluto does oppose his natal Jupiter possibly indicating some opposition from publicity groups (Pluto in Sagittarius) however the prog energy is much stronger and more favourable.
Anyway, we'll find out tonight<g>.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
27-Aug-2014, 18:55 UT/GMT
Sun4Virgo25'43"
Moon28Virgo30'17"
Mercury21Virgo25'18"
Venus18Leo59'19"
Mars18Scorpio54'33"
Jupiter9Leo16'50"