Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 16.09.2014 at 08:22 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Peter Jennings (Read 430 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Peter Jennings
« on: 13.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Peter Jennings, born 29 July 1938 at 05:00 AM in Toronto

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

Following the retirement of Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings' recent death was noted, not just as the passing of an important and popular media figure, but also as a symbol of the shift in the way Americans get their world news.  
Jennings was a good-looking, charming anchor, with first-hand knowledge culled from years of foreign and domestic reporting, a steady and gracious presence in a turbulent world, a meticulous reporter. He was considered trustworthy by viewers, a hard worker always in search of understanding and information. Let's look at his chart for clues about his success as a journalist and broadcaster:
  • Where in the chart is the person who quit school early to follow his calling? What in the chart indicates his choice of career and the success he found in his field?
  • What do you make of the Eastern hemisphere emphasis in his chart?
  • Jennings was seen by viewers to be a trustworthy newsman, charming, a sensitive reporter of others' tragedies. Beneath that layer was another: the aloof, hard-working, self-driven chain-smoker. Where are these traits shown in the chart?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Peter Jennings
« Reply #1 - on: 14.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Ouranos

Loved the "stain on coffee table" remark. Reveals his Virgo placements quite well. Mr Jennings Moon-Merc indicates quick perceptions. His Moon-Neptune contributes to being a public favorite.  
Sun-Mars in sunny Leo provides the need to be seen and heard and the drive to attain it and opportunity as both trine the Mc.  
Certainly somewhat of 'powerhouse" chart. The drive to achieve, to be autonomous (East. emphasis) cast him out of boarding school into action where a Mars person must be.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 14.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Liz

His chart so clearly reflects his life. Mercury in Virgo - very intelligent. I think it was partly due to Mercury opposing Jupiter that caused him some trouble with obtaining higher education and fueling his lifelong quest for knowledge around the world. Cancer rising shows his sensitive way of expressing himself and since this is the same sign of the USA sun - Americans related to him well. Pluto in the first gave him a powerful presence and the Mars conjunct Pluto made him obsessive about work and caused him to drive himself and others, pushing people into action - relentlessly. His sun in Leo loved the attention, being on TV and could act well. The stellium in Virgo, which includes the Moon in Virgo, made him a perfectionist who would spot an error from 90 feet away and be very practical in dealing with others. I wouldn't think that he would have been that easy to live with! No offense intended but of course this type of chart spells S-u-c-c-e-s-s-f-u-l.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 15.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jotown

<b>1.)</b> <b>" Where in the chart is the person who quit school early to follow his calling? What in the chart indicates his choice of career and the success he found in his field? "</b>
The Sun/Mars/Pluto stellium in the first house shows one who knows who he is, and the ruler of the Midheaven (Mars) is conjunct the Leo Sun and Pluto further emphasizing his independence and sense of his own power. Mercury is quincunx his Midheaven. This shows that he would strike his own unique career path and that his career (Midheaven) would begin in his childhood and be his school (Mercury 3rd house)
Mercury rules the third house of early education and is in its dignity (Virgo). Jupiter rules the ninth house of higher education and is in its dignity (Pisces). Mercury is opposing Jupiter showing perhaps an adversarial relationship with his teachers; and the lifelong student who learns best from experience and through travel. It also shows the communicator (Mercury) who travels long distances to get and publish his story (Jupiter ruling 9th house). This along with Saturn in the tenth house and Sun/Mars tri-septile Jupiter along with Pluto quincunx Jupiter showing the calling, the career, and the success.  
<b>2.)</b> <b>" What do you make of the Eastern hemisphere emphasis in his chart? "</b>
The emphasis of the Eastern hemisphere shows his self containment and independence as well as the source of his motivation which comes from within. His game is against himself and he can function in his own little world; although with a Sun/Mars/Pluto conjunction in the first house you get a very intense and competitive personality.
<b>3.)</b> <b>"Jennings was seen by viewers to be a trustworthy newsman, charming, a sensitive reporter of others' tragedies. Beneath that layer was another: the aloof, hard-working, self-driven chain-smoker. Where are these traits shown in the chart? "</b>
Saturn in the tenth shows the solid trustworthy authoritive qualities. Cancer Ascendant is very sensitive and the ASC ruler (Moon) is conjunct Mercury which desposits the four Virgo planets. This gives one who can communicate (Mercury) his feelings (Moon). Venus/Neptune conjunction gives the charm and the trine to Uranus in the 11th house gives the ability to project that charm onto the screen and into your living room.
Venus/Neptune trine Uranus also shows the ability to empathize with anyone. Mercury conjunct Moon opposite Jupiter shows the sensitive reporter (Moon/Mercury) of others tragedies (Jupiter 9th house)
The Sun/Mars/Pluto conjunction in the first house along with Saturn in the 10th shows the self-driven hard working individual. The complete lack of air in this chart along with the eastern hemisphere emphasis gives the aloofness and self-possessed ness of this chart. Venus in Virgo quincunx Saturn in Aries in the tenth is probably why others perceived this aloofness in social situations.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 16.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Therese Hamilton

Peter Jennings' chart is an example of how astrologers can selectively focus on certain planets while more or less ignoring other planets equally as prominent. Using equal house, right at the top of Jennings' chart is Saturn in its fall in Aries (tropical).  
If a planet in its fall means anything at all, this should be a big zero for the career. But of course Jennings had a very successful career as a news journalist. So I will jump to the sidereal where the astrological confusion of a planet in its fall in the 10th doesn't happen. Jupiter as lord of Pisces is the 10th lord. It's in the 9th sign in mutual reception to Saturn at the zenith-nonagesimal. Right away we get the picture of a very successful person as the 9th and 10thlords are inter-related. Jennings traveled widely in his work. Ninth lord Saturn at the top of the chart describes this. Also the combination of 9th and 10th lords in Jyotish is a sign of success, most noticeably if one of those planets is in the 10th. Jennings' success came in a field of Mercury. He was a 'king' in his field, one of three superstar anchors. Thus, we have a close opposition of Mercury in Leo to the 10th lord, Jupiter, and the Moon (the public) conjoined to Mercury. 'News' combined with 'bigness'--Jupiter as the lord of career. Several planets in the sign of the king, Leo, aspecting Jupiter gave Jennings a position of authority. Since Jupiter is also the 7th lord, these four planets might also indicate his four marriages.
Eastern hemisphere emphasis: A self made man. I fully agree with the tropical interpretation here. But note that the 10th lord is on the side of the chart relating to other people as is its dispositor, Saturn (at the zenith). Jennings used his voice for broadcasting and his hands for writing. Thus the eastern hemisphere emphasis is on the 2nd (use of voice) and 3rd (use of hands) house (signs). Any person with many planets in Leo (sidereal) won't be happy being an underling in routine, so Jennings didn't finish school, but took off on his own. Aloof, hard-working, self-driven chain-smoker: Both zodiacs: Pluto (aloof)-Mars-Sun (driven) conjoined in the first house. Also sidereal Leo is very self-motivated, and the dispositor of all the Leo planets is conjoined to Mars. In the 9th harmonic (navamsa) chart Jennings has Mercury-ruled Gemini rising with Mercury near the ascendant. This emphasized his desire from an early age to be a broadcaster (Mercury as motivator).  
Navamsa Venus is with Uranus in Scorpio--marriages ended in divorce, and there were other relationships as well. See the energy of tropical Sag here (independence and the desire for freedom) and there's some insight on his inability to remain in one marriage.
Therese

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 16.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Paula R. Gassmann

To Theresa: Thanks for your insightful comments. From the Tropical perspective, it's necessary to go a bit deeper to see how the planets operate. In assessing Jennings' career, since Saturn is a career planet, and in the Gauquelin sector, it is an important planet. Since it is in Aries, one can look at Mars. Mars is in Leo, perigrine, and disposited by the Sun, to which it is conjoined. The Sun is in its rulership, in Leo. This allows a strong expression of the Saturn function.  
Also of great importance is the fact that the Moon is the ruler of Jennings' chart. The Moon (public appeal) is in Virgo, thus perigrine. It is disposited by Mercury, which has dignity in Virgo, and is conjoined to Mercury. His appeal and career developed in a Mercurial field.  
Both styles provide good information about Jennings.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 16.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Hey there Therese, haven't seen you in a while <b>Therese Hamilton wrote: </b> " If a planet in its fall means anything at all, this should be a big zero for the career. But of course Jennings had a very successful career as a news journalist."
When one says a planet is in its fall it does not mean "Bad". It merely means that a planet in that sign has some specific challenges to it operating efficiently. Saturn in Aries is in its fall because the Saturnal urge to consolidate is very difficult in a sign that is always looking for the next thing; hence Saturn is said to be in its fall there. This also indicates that in this person's life the lessons of Saturn (Time and Patience) would have to be learned. And those lessons would have to be learned specifically in the field of ones career (10th house)
This is in fact what happened in Peter Jennings career. He started his career early and impetuously (Aries) and when he got his first big break he wasn't accepted as an authorative enough figure (Saturn) so he had a career setback and had to go back and do the work and mature. When he did this he achieved success.
As it turns out a strong Saturn is not an important attribute for a male anchorperson. An anchorpersons job is to impartially deliver the news. A strong Saturn can give one too much certainty of opinion which is not good for an anchor person. Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley, Edward R. Murrow, Walter Winchell, Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings all have a weak Saturn; Dan Rather being the only prominent anchor with a strong Saturn. And his career was tarnished recently when his opinion and authority were seen to interfere with his ability to report the news objectively and he was forced to resign.
Again; a weak Saturn seems to be a very important attribute for an anchorperson to have.
Planetary dignities are not meant to be taken literally, they are meant as a means of weighing the relative strengths and weaknesses of a chart and to show the inherent struggles of those positions. Our job is to rise above these challenges if we can, and when we do we achieve success.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 16.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

One more thing. My research was done via ASTRODATABANK Software. I am going to do a more extensive study later. Every serious astrologer should have this software. It can take one out of cookbooks and into facts.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 16.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Zart

Using the tropical equal house chart on the page something that stands out for me is his S-Node conjunct Uranus in 10th house. I am reminded of Dane Rhudyar's take on S-Node as the place of release. A brief synopsis of Rhudyar's idea is that S-Node in the 10th house the influence is that of seeding or planting ideas and receiving recognition for doing so. The proximity to Uranus encompasses the means and methods. The ruler of his 2nd house posited in the 1st conjunct Mars is indicative on someone who would do well in a competitive career. By the same measure the ruler of his 1st house is conjunct Mercury in the 2nd house creating something of a mutual reception between luminaries that led to his vocational success. I am curious about his nicotine addiction. I have read somewhere that problems arising with that particular addictive manifestation comes from a difficult Saturn/Neptune relationship in the natal chart. Perhaps the Saturn in Aries inconjunct Neptune. I don't know that those aspects are enough to inspire the predisposition to a 3 pack a day habit. Perhaps it can be found in the mental indicators of the chart since nicotine increases synaptic function.  
To follow up on Jotowns suggestion regarding ADB's own software... I would love it but I run Macs and there are very few Astrology apps for Mac systems. I can run a Windoze emulator I have found it unstable for running Astrology software. dang it

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Therese

Jotown wrote: When one says a planet is in its fall it does not mean "Bad". It merely means that a planet in that sign has some specific challenges to it operating efficiently. Saturn in Aries is in its fall because the Saturnal urge to consolidate is very difficult in a sign that is always looking for the next thing; hence Saturn is said to be in its fall there. Paula wrote: From the Tropical perspective, it's necessary to go a bit deeper to see how the planets operate. In assessing Jennings' career, since Saturn is a career planet, and in the Gauquelin sector, it is an important planet. Since it is in Aries, one can look at Mars. Mars is in Leo... Sorry all, but from my point of view, this type of wheel spinning is why astrology has become something of a laughing stock among serious thinkers. To turn black to white by putting another spin on the obvious is well...It's why many times I have almost given up the study of astrology, and it's why I don't post more often on the forums. Enjoy the irrational. I cannot.
All the books must be wrong since anyone can interpret any planet/sign the way they want to by slightly shifting the focus. Best to throw out signs altogether since they obviously don't mean much.
May your forum live long and prosper. Therese

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User JD

I'm surprised that ADB accepted "from memory"...I thought they used only the "gold standard" of BC, public record, or perhaps mother's writing in baby book or family bible. I'm always a little suspicious of exact on the hour BTs
Zart..I don't know if they have the kind of software you're looking for-but you might try Io Time cycles research. They specialize in astrological programs for Macs.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

This may be a bit off the mark, but I noticed something. This is the third chart I've seen with no air in the chart who was a chain smoker and succumbed to lung disease. This might be worth researching.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

<b>Therese Hamilton wrote: </b> " To turn black to white by putting another spin on the obvious is well...It's why many times I have almost given up the study of astrology, and it's why I don't post more often on the forums. Enjoy the irrational. I cannot."
What do you find irrational in either of the posts you quoted? And what is causing you such confusion here?
<b>Therese Hamilton wrote: </b> " If a planet in its fall means anything at all, this should be a big zero for the career."
You are beginning with an incorrect thesis here. Saturn in its fall in the tenth house is not "a big zero for the career". There are many, many people who have had very successful careers with Saturn in its fall. One has to assess the chart in its entirety to determine career challenges. Peter Jennings has a strong chart and he learned though experience to use his charts liabilities; this is why he was successful. (this is also the entire purpose of astrology; to show one how to do this)
<b>Therese Hamilton wrote: </b> " All the books must be wrong since anyone can interpret any planet/sign the way they want to by slightly shifting the focus. Best to throw out signs altogether since they obviously don't mean much."
I am not sure what books you are referring to but I think the problem is that you are always trying to make a case for sidereal over tropical. I suggest you find a system that works for you and stick with it. There is no need to convert others to your approach. I respect how you view a chart, but there are many different lenses that one can use, and they all work sometimes. I spend my time sharpening and focusing my lens; and it works for me. Sorry that the tropical zodiac causes you so much distress.
I actually checked out your idea around Saturn and my researched shows that <b>a weak Saturn is actually an asset for a News Anchor!</b> I didn't quote a book; I did the research. And guess what? I learned something that I did not know before. To me that is the ultimate beauty of astrology. Once one gets past the cookbook approach that helps one learn astrology, they then have to test their assumptions in the real world. That is where the real learning begins.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Mar

Hi all, don't want to throw 'oil on the fire' but: according to the chart drawing Saturn is not in the tenth house of carreer, Saturn is still in the ninth equal house. And as the time rating is 'from memory' maybe Saturn is not there at all.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User dawn woodhouse

Baby boy born to Royal couple Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark and Princess Mary at 1.57am Copenhagen time Saturday 15th August.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

I use placidus houses, but even with equal houses it is conjunct the MC which gives it importance.
As far as the birth time being from memory: it has an A Rodden rating and it is the chart we are discussing. I don't see the point in arguing about the birth time.
The people at ADB do a great job researching and validating these things and I will take their word for it.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Mar

Hi Jotown, you say that even with equal houses it is conjunct the MC, but you mean: the cusp of the tenth house. In fact the MC is inconjunct Mercury (the planet of communication and ruler 3rd house).
The placement of Saturn on top is indeed important, I agree with you. It shows we deal with a serious and ambitious man. But being in the ninth instead of the tenth does give Saturn another meaning than Saturn in the tenth afflicted, like in the charts of Napoleon and Hitler.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

<b>Mar wrote: </b> "In fact the MC is inconjunct Mercury (the planet of communication and ruler 3rd house)."
I covered that in my initial analysis. It is a key to a couple of the questions that ADB posted. But it seems nobody else likes to bother with the questions (or read the thread apparently)
As I stated earlier I use Placidus houses; that is my lens.
So Mar: What point are you trying to make here?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

<b>Mar wrote: </b> " Hi Jotown, you say that even with equal houses it is conjunct the MC, but you mean: the cusp of the tenth house."
Yes; of course that is what I meant.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 17.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User astrologer

Hello. Here's my take on the Peter Jennings questions. Looked at tertiary progressions (P3), but did not bring them into this already long! story Instead, used secondary progressions (P2) and transits. Didn't look at ASC/MC too much, TOB rated A could be a bit off. Have been vedic astrology oriented for about 10-15 years, tropical for many many years before that--what both have in common are the planets. This a a tropical (sign) read. Theresa, looks like you an I see the same thing across zodiacs! Are you still publishing Vedic Voice?  
Where in the chart is the person who quit school early to follow his calling? Between age 16 and 17 by secondary progression (P2) Mercury changes (apparent) direction = life change. Also as a teen he experienced: P2 Sun square Uranus 1st P2 Full Moon (P2 Moon oppose Natal Sun) across the 1st-7th house P2 Moon opposing all of his Virgo cluster planets P2 Moon conjunct a 10th house Saturn P2 MC conjunct a 10th house Saturn P2 ASC conjunct Pluto, then Mars, then Sun.
Around age 16-17, P2 Moon contacts MC (his public place) and before age 20 P2 Moon conjuncts planet Uranus. Moon is restless enough. Add Uranus and you have Some Type of Wanderer. Needless to say, this kid was really a handful and less than content suppressing Sun-Mars-Mercury energies in a classroom.
What in the chart indicates his choice of career and the success he found in his field? "  
Moon + Mercury public communications. Venus + Neptune lend a creative magnetism. In this tropical chart, all 4 are in Mercury's sign (communication). This means Mercury in it's own sign, Virgo, "disposes" all, giving added support to a communication emphasis in this chart. Accurate, factual, practical, useful are all Virgo energies.  
Mercury and Jupiter oppose = lots to say. Jupiter oppose Mercury + Moon = lots to say about day-to-day common events (Moon), to many (Jupiter) in an accurate (Virgo) and instructive (Jupiter) way.  
At age 26, P2 Uranus goes retrograde. Uranians think they know everything..smile..seriously, they do crave autonomy. Mars-Sun in Leo fires personal ambition..Jupiter in Pisces sparks a wee bit of wisdom. When he was hired into ABC at age 26, P2 Sun @ 0Virgo was opposing natal Jupiter and transitting Jupiter was conjunct his S. Node. Saturn had been hanging around Jupiter's natal position, opposing Mercury, then backwards again before moving past Moon during late winter of the following year. Jupiter is wisdom and adventure. Saturn often invokes obstacles. Add "stationary" Uranus and it makes sense he wouldn't fit right in with the old, established network-news format. He departed from this 9 to 5 job during his Saturn return (final direct transit Jan 1969) and P2 Sun contacts with natal Mercury and the Moon. Which loops right back to his Mercury career emphasis.
 " What do you make of the Eastern hemisphere emphasis in his chart? "  
All of the personal planets are in house 1 and 2. Saturn of respons-ability in the 10th house (public role) and MC Aries are subsumed by dispositor Mars. Ambitious person with a self-determined (Mars + Sun) career (Mars). Fortunately (for this chart) people born when Mercury rises well behind the sun tend to think first about what they say, and Saturn in 10th somewhat weights down his aggressivness.
"Jennings was seen by viewers to be a trustworthy newsman, charming, a sensitive reporter of others' tragedies. Beneath that layer was another: the aloof, hard-working, self-driven chain-smoker. Where are these traits shown in the chart? "  
Venus (beauty) + Neptune (ethereal) together combine to = charming/sensitive and photogenic. How 'bout that Mars Sun conjunction. Very ambitious. Why? Sun (I) + Mars (push). With Pluto, this only intensifies same. First house Pluto people are generally a bit ..smile again..abrasive. Mars rising before the Sun colors a martian spirit. It makes sense that a combust Mars would chain smoke. He literally burns himself up.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print

Copyright © 2014 Astrodienst AG  - report a problem