Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 02.09.2014 at 18:15 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Martha Stewart (Read 245 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Martha Stewart
« on: 31.08.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Martha Stewart, born 3 August 1941 at 1:33 PM in Jersey City NJ

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

• Where is her talent for self-promotion in domestic arts?
  • Can you find her famous temper in her chart?
  • Would you have predicted a vicious divorce in 1990?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Martha Stewart
« Reply #1 - on: 22.06.2001 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Edward R. Shuping

Here are more exact latitude and longitude coordinates for Martha Helen Kostyra Stewart's birthplace: [Lat: 40.7198N, Long: 74.0659W]  
Martha Helen Kostyra Stewart  August 3, 1941 (Sunday)  1:33 p.m.  @Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital Clifton Place at Fairmount Avenue  Latitude: 40°43'11" N Longitude: 74°03'57" W  Jersey City, New Jersey [40n44, 74w05]  
www.jerseycityhistory.net/atrisklist2000.html

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 17.11.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anon.

hiya ... i would think with her sun to the top of her chart surrounded by 3 other planets in LEO would surely take her out to the world! ... with sun squaring her ascendant that could make her huffy! also moon in the second trines all of that LEO soooo you know she's going to have some cash! that's my humble take...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 16.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Kevin Bold

I knew this woman had to have a Jupiter-Saturn aspect ("I'd rather plan a party than just go to one") - only I thought it would be a more well-known one, and not a vigintile.  
As for her temper, Moon-Mars people are pretty irritable (the Moon's baroque largos doesn't go well with Mars' hard rock), but Martha doesn't have a Moon-Mars aspect. What she <i>does</i> have is Moon semisquare Ascendant and squaring Neptune and the Lunar Nodes. But Mars also has an angular aspect, as it trines the MC. Mars also sextiles Jupiter, and Jupiter expands everything it touches. The tight Saturn-Uranus conjunction must also cause some tension -- Saturn can be the archetypal spinster English teacher, Ms. Grundy, while Uranus "just wantsta have fun" a la Cyndi Lauper.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 08.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

A major publicist for domestic matters?  
I see a yod a.k.a. "finger of God" pointing to the planet of domesticity. The Yod is formed from Mercury, the planet of communication and the co-rulers of her 4th house. The "finger of God" is said to be a destiny formation because having two quincunxes bearing down on a planet forces one to focus on the planet at the tip of the yod. Martha Stewart, like so many famous people, has found a way of utilizing the stresses in her chart to propel her to success. It is such a good fit that it makes astrology look easy. It is certainly easier to delineate her chart than those of my less famous neighbors who are not as in sync with their chart.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 05.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

There seems to be a bit of an obsession with status, and one's career is a fine place to work out the obsession. I see her Sun/Pluto conjunction as being almost dead center on the 10th house cusp (using equal house system).  
Her talent for self promotion is centered in the Moon in Sagittarius, which makes perfect hard aspects to her Sun and Asc. Moon = domesticity, sag. = promotion.  
The issue of temper is captured with the preponderance of fire and fixed mode, but is finalized with the dominance of Saturn/Uranus conjunction in her solar 10th house, another system I use, which emphasizes her status/career obsession.  
There's some good astrological excuses for the vicious divorce in 1990. Where to begin? Solar return chart has an exact opposition of Pluto/Scorpio to Mars/Taurus. Progressed Asc. is opposite natal Jupiter, but possibly the most significant is the exact trine of the progressed Sun at 28Virgo to Saturn at 28 Taurus. While trines are usually thought of as favorable, in progressions it works differently, and hinges on the relationship between the two planets natally. While she may have been making great strides career wise, her relationship was what had to suffer. A basic principal of human nature is fulfilled. One usually can't have their cake and eat it too! It helps if it's served properly though!!!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 04.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anthony Louis

1. Where is her talent for self-promotion in domestic arts?  
A talent for self-promotion is usually shown by lots of fire and a strong Mars. In Martha's chart, Sun conjoins Pluto in fiery Leo (the monarch of the jungle), and the MC (her career) also falls in Leo. Mars is very powerful in his home sign Aries and trines the Leo MC. The Moon (domestic arts) in fiery Sagittarius occupies her 2nd house of income and forms a grand trine with Mars at the Placidus cusp of her 6th house of employment and the Leo MC (career).  
2. Can you find her famous temper in her chart?  
Temper would also be shown by lots of fire and a prominent Mars. Sun conjunct Pluto lends great intensity to her emotions. Pluto rules the scorpion with its venomous sting. Her extreme emotional reactions are also suggested by the Scorpio Ascendant.  
3. Would you have predicted a vicious divorce in 1990?  
On July 23, 1989, Pluto made a station at 12 Scorpio 21, conjunct her ASC and square her natal sun, presaging radical changes in her life. The station of Pluto dominated her Solar Return for the period Aug 3, 1989 to Aug 3, 1990. In her tropical SR chart for the 89-90 year, Neptune (dissolution) lies close to the Capricorn 7th SR cusp (marriage). Pluto (transformation) squares her sun. The SR Moon, ruling the SR Ascendant, conjoins SR Mars, suggesting a year of strife in her domestic life. In her 1990 tropical Solar Return, SR Pluto is at 14 Scorpio 59, again conjunct her natal Ascendant, but now the SR Mars at 14 Taurus 15 conjoins her natal Descendant (marriage) and opposes SR Pluto. This SR Mars/Pluto opposition lying across her natal horizon is the culmination of the marital problems seen in the 1989 SR chart and suggests a bitter and vicious divorce.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 04.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Marc

Now THAT explains it - with the PM birth time, she's got the notoriously bitch Scorpio Rising ... the ascendant of most dictators AND most diva bitch-goddess movie queens (Davis, Crawford, etc..) That's why everybody says she's so cold, clever and mean spirited...! This explains all three of your questions...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 04.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User William C. Autrey

Isn't it interesting how time of birth does not change major things. I work with Lillith in my charts and she has Lilith in the 7th house of relationships. This says that the native has to marry or form a partnership with someone equal or better than her. Now who could fill that bill? Those of us who are workaholics and perfectionists do not have many choices in life but to find people who understand our obsessions. She represents all those people who must do it right or not do it at all. Your error in time did not severely damage her image so stop blaming yourself because in astrology we learn from our mistakes.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 01.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anthony Louis

Thanks for clarifying the birth time. I was searching the early morning chart in vain for her vicious divorce in 1990. When I couldn't find it, I thought I was just having a bad astrological day. Nice to know that the inaccurate chart was to blame.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 01.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carole Hemingway

I am well acquainted with Martha Stewart, personally. Her Sun conj. Pluto in Leo has a "great" talent for self-promotion and esp. in the 9th house of media etc. Temper? Martha? She's manic depressive you know. Her Saturn in Taurus in the 7th house would even make God divorce her. Scorpio Rising, now we're talking the California chart. I really don't know what's going to be left for her to do once transit Saturn in Gemini squares her 4th and 10th houses; and WE don't want to be within ear shot of that! I'd say she's going to have some salty lessons with Saturn in Gemini in conj. with her Jupiter in 14-degrees Gemini, 7th house; I feel a lot of her staff is going to leave her and will write her notes saying "why." Of course this will come as a great shock to her, ego's never seem to figure that out! Her Moon in Sadge is square to her Neptune in the 10th, Saturn in Gemini will take care of that too and the co-dependent thing not to mention Saturn in Gemini in square to her Venus in 9-degrees Gemini. How's her digestive tract these days? Enough already!!!!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 01.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Teresa Hamilton

I didn't know anything about this Martha Stewart lady (not being into coordinated towels, baby clothes, crafts, lacy curtains and fine china), so I skimmed her site for a few minutes. She's into selling STUFF...all kinds of stuff for all the ladies who have plenty of time and lots of money to spend on their homes. Where do we look in the chart for an extremely wealthy business entrepreneur who's a workaholic?  
The Sun rules self-made men and women, and in Martha's chart it's the most elevated planet in the 10th (in sidereal Cancer) only a degree from an exact square to the ascendant. This is Tropical Leo, of course, so she's used that fiery energy to build her own empire in the home area (Cancer).  
Mars, ruler of the 2nd sidereal house of money and possessions is powerful in Martha's chart, as it aspects the 10th house Sun (trine) and has an even more powerful aspect to the ascendant (the 8th sign aspect or quincunx in Jyotish). Martha's chart contains the traditional Jyotish link of 1-2-11 for great wealth. Venus, the ascendant lord is in Leo; Leo's lord, the Sun is in the 10th and receives the trine from 2nd lord Mars.  
This powerful Mars (in the Jyotish system) is also the source of Martha's temper. She probably doesn't have a lot of control over Mars and its energy, because Mars is with the Moon's nodes and is opposed by Neptune. In the navamsa chart Mars is with Saturn in the 12th. This duo is the workaholic combination. These two planets are opposing Venus in Leo, so this energy is funneled into domestic perfection (Venus in Leo). (The perfection of tropical Virgo is found in Leo in the Sidereal zodiac.) Venus (her Libran ascendant lord) is in its own mansion of Leo in the natal chart, and this particular mansion likes luxury and money.  
Martha's marriage was finished in 1987 when her husband moved out. She was in Mars dasa (Mars is the 7th sidereal lord) and Ketu's sub-period began in the latter part of 1987. Ketu is loss and it's with Mars in the 6th. Most Jyotish astrologers would have predicted a rocky time for marriage during this period, and if the transits and solar return charts checked out, divorce by the end of Mars dasa in 1990.  
The heavy emphasis on the material life is partly the strength of 2nd lord Mars and 11th lord Sun, and partly the 8th house stellium of Saturn (4th lord...the home)-Uranus-Jupiter in Venus ruled Taurus. The dispositor of this stellium is Venus in high flying Leo in the 11th house of gain. Lots and lots of wealth and gain (11th) from others (8th).  
In Martha's chart the sidereal signs (Saturn-Uranus-Jupiter in Taurus and 10th house Mercury-Pluto-Sun in Cancer) are more descriptive of her life than the Tropical signs (Gemini and Leo in this case). The home is Venus and the Moon rather than Mercury and the Sun.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 01.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Sylvia Tobias

With Sun square her Ascendant, conjunct Pluto and close to the Midheaven, as well as a Scorpio Ascendant and Leo Midheaven, it is no wonder she is such a powerful woman and anxious to promote herself. Her Mercury in Cancer and Venus in Virgo are the only indicators to me of interest in domestic arts.  
Her Sun/Pluto conjunction and Mars semisquare Uranus give the potential for having a temper. She could be quite volatile and upset by anyone challenging her in any way.  
In 1990, Pluto was transiting Scorpio and her first house. It was also squaring her Leo Midheaven. Saturn was opposing her Mercury. Uranus was in early Capricorn sesquiquadrate her Midheaven. I don't know if I would have predicted a divorce, but surely would have expected some major changes in her life. Knowing that she was separated, I might have thought a divorce was possible at that time. The turbulence may have been caused by her difficulty in giving up on anything with the strong fixity and the Aries Mars in her chart unless she had initiated the breakup.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 01.09.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anon.

Scorpio ascendant - ruler Pluto in 9th = bossy, opinionated, & very shrewd.  
Moon in 2nd = making money through the domestic arts.  
Transiting Uranus conjunct Natal Moon 1987 (when her husband left) = sudden change that causes strong emotional upset.  
Moon inconjunct Mercury = twisted connection between thinking & feeling - an inability to effectively reconcile the two functions (causing irritable outbursts that puzzle the people around her).  
Moon square Neptune = again, an interference w/ her emotional functioning - this time through delusions & psychological scarring (probably due in part from growing up w/ a father she detested).  
Venus sits alone in Virgo w/ no major hard aspects = an aesthetic perfectionist.  
Mars is at home in Aries = she knows how to throw an effective temper tantrum!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 31.08.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Sonja Foxe

Since there aren't any comments yet, I'll put in my 2 cents -- Jupiter in Gemini Ruling Moon in Sag in Mutual Reception with Mercury in Domestic Cancer is where I find the Uberhomemaking vibe - the merc/gemini/jupiter for supercompetence in the domestic sphere with that Sag moon thrown in, since Jupiter registers in Cancer and hints at a mutual reception w/the moon. Temper - Mars in Aries. As for the 1990 divorce - mensa, mensa, tho the Feb 9 lunar eclipse straddled her MC/IC.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 03.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Cathy B.

Is there any background about the possibility that Martha Stewart has a borderline personality??

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 25.07.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Floyd Town

Accuracy of the birth Data of Martha Stewart ?
As a result of her potential legal problems and the accompanying media coverages, I have lately spent a great deal of time reading about Ms. Martha Stewart and trying to appreciate her situation from an astrological point of view. But I must conclude that your birth chart of her, based on the time of birth of 1:33pm, does not seem to fit her. Please kindly give me some feedback on the following issues.
1) How can a Sagittarius singleton Moon give us a Martha, who is so earthly, career-oriented and socially conscious? Is it likely that her Moon should be in Capricorn rather than Sagittarius?
2) Why does a seven-housed Saturn give Martha the life experience of marrying so young at 20, and to a 23-year old Andrew in 1961?  
3) Is it true that Martha's Mars in the 5th house would most likely bless her with a male child?
4) Are the rulers of her 2nd house in "good" enough houses and "good" enough signs to help put together some "good" enough money fortune? 5) Why can't I find anything obvious and powerful in her transit and progresion combined chart, based on your birth time, to reflect her current apparent crisis? I suppose that she is really in very hot water, given the so many explosive cans of worms closing in on her. Your birth chart does not suggest anything seriously damaging at this stage of her life. And that is why in the last sentence of your "Biography," you prematurely state that "... she was not found guilty of any wrongdoing."
Just for the fun of it, I have tried to rectify her birth chart based on biographical information from CBS.Com articles. Now I firmly believe that the birth time of 9:18P.M. make much more sense in her case, despite your birth time per birth certificate.
Please run this birth chart to see for yourself what I mean. Subjectively, I find that this birth chart, with its progressions and transits, does a much more convincing job to relate to Martha, particularly in terms of her personality and the latest happenings in her life.
I should be most grateful if you could kindly spare some of your precious time to give me some objective ideas on this astrological exercise of mine. Your expert opinions will be most highly regarded and appreciated. In anticipation I thank you very much.  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 26.08.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User ANON.

First of all about her famous temper. She has Sag. moon, and her mars is in Aires. To me that says it all. Mars in Aires people are hot tempered and fly off the hand easily, also the Sag. moon would make her tend to speak her mind without any regard for the consquences. About promoting herself and her business. She has the sun Leo in the tenth house which is the house of your career, and also her midheaven is in Leo. Leo's are not a bit shy about promoting themselves, and can be a bit overbearing at times. As far as her marriage, she has saturn and uranus in taurus in the 7th house. Taurus is a pretty comfortable sign, but saturn and uranus do not make good bedfellows. I see a lot of stressful apects in her chart with the Leo -Taurus squares, and the square between her sag moon and her virgo planets. On the whole her chart seems to be that of a very hard headed, determined indivdual who is bent on having their own way and will run rough shod over anyone in their way.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 21.10.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Ms. Stewart is a pioneer. She has changed living styles from stuffy and dull to colorful and fun, and easy to live styles. I believe she is misunderstood and doesn't receive the recognition and loyalty of those around her that she deserves; and this flairs up her temper. Her success is tempered with much jealosy, but her choices in friendships are all wrong. They are only there to attach themselves to her success. It is lonely on top. I also believe her husband was weak and for any man it is difficult on their ego to accept her visions for a successful career, especially when she is more successful than he is. Life is a learning experience and I am sure with her recent problems she will now know who to chose as true friends. I do not believe that she is guilty of stock trading fraud for a number of reasons. First, the sum she saved was a extremely small amount considering her wealth, Although she is a strong woman, she would be too afraid of being involved in fraud. Second, her personality is direct, percise and predictable. She is agitated by petty things and is more motivated by the larger picture. She would be more apt to sign an order to sell stocks if they fell below a certain price. I shall pray for her.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 31.10.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Marlene

Martha Stewart's chart certainly shows a powerful incentive to succeed. Her Sun/Pluto are conjunct in Leo and are the most elevated planets conjunct a Leo MC. With this we may expect a person who has an intense (Pluto) need to express herself (Sun/Pluto/Leo) and who may also wish to be a high profile celebrity (Sun/Pluto/Leo/MC). In and of itself, a Sun/Pluto/Leo conj suggests a tremendous need for personal autonomy and a profound desire to present the best of self before the public and to be recognized as a noble, worthy, and special person. On the MC, the Sun/Pluto/Leo conjunction suggests that a desire "to be the best" may be consciously chosen as a life path. With the ruler of her tenth house being the Sun, and located in the tenth house, goals and ambitions are most likely a strong component of her ego structure, and is subsequently the realm where she wishes to shine. Many tenth house Suns have a tremendous desire to prove to themselves that they are successful and they therefore seek public recognition and awards as a means of authenticating their very existence.  
With the ruler of her 2nd house (Jup) of values in the 8th house, which is a financial house pertaining to other people's money, we would expect Martha to consider investments and stocks as a way of generating additional personal security. Jupiter in Gemini can be a difficult position at times because one may be inclined to expand simultaneously on too many ideas thus creating a proverbial "too many irons in the fire" situation. The optimistic Jupiter energy may also make her feel good as she explores (Jup) new grounds (Gem) for securing more personal security (2nd/8th house). Unfortunately, Jupiter in Gemini can also point to optimistic dealings with the negative Gemini archetype of "thieves," and since it is located in the 8th house of other people's money, we would hope that she approaches all financial dealings with skepticism and the utmost personal integrity. In the 8th house, a Jupiter in Gemini can also suggest that she gains financial support from people who are duplicitous, whether she is cognizant of their morals or not. It can also point towards a hidden side of her that no one know about (8th house) where she actively seeks gains and personal expansion (Jup) for her own security (2nd house) through duplicitous means (Jup/Gem/8th). If any house, sign and planetary configuration could imply her current stock market scandal, this configuration certainly points to what we may expect.  
In addition, to her 8th house involvements, she has an expansive Sagittarian Moon in her second house of personal values and belongings. Her personal security, sense of self-worth and values (Moon/2nd house) would probably be tied to how much she earns (ruler of 2nd house in the 8th/Jupiter), with the Jup energy inclining her towards a "more is better outlook." Moon in Sagittarius in the 2nd house suggests that she feels an innate need (Moon) for personal freedom (Sag). In fact, self-reliance is a marked theme in her chart. Her Moon/Sag/2nd house needs and values point to a strong urge for personal freedom, and it informs her Sun/Pluto/Leo/MC need for self-reliance and personal autonomy by indicating that at the instinctive level (moon) and ego level (Sun) she has a strong desire for independence and to be in charge of herself and life direction. Externally, her Moon/Sag/2nd house values could manifest as noblesse oblige, in which she would want to express her own nobility (Sun/Pluto/Leo) to others as a manifestation and authentication of her own personal integrity and style. I have seen TV specials of the elaborate Christmas parties she threw for her staff, which is a distinct Sag/Moon 2nd house value system being expressed to the world (10th house) in the form of a show of her generosity, good taste and personal style (Leo/Sun/Pluto/MC). In fact, she seems to have found emotional and financial security by expansively communicating to the world her philosophy and value system regarding luxury and style (Moon/Sag/2nd house ruled by Jupiter in Gemini). Another way of looking at this is that she nurtures (Moon) others by expanding their awareness on how to make their material world a more luxurious place, and taking this impulse to the highest and broadest level (Moon/Sag/2nd house) she made a career out of it (Moon/Sag/2nd house values informing a Leo/Sun/Pluto/MC career choice). This impulse would serve to authenticate her core values and ego, and to satisfy her need to be an authority on style and taste (Leo/Sun/Pluto/MC).
In light of her current stock market scandal, this event must be having a tremendous impact on her sense of self-worth internally and externally as her name brand corporation (Sun/Leo/Pluto/MC) is suffering sharp stock market declines.
[continued in next posting]

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
2-Sep-2014, 17:15 UT/GMT
Sun10Virgo9'49"
Moon13Sagittarius19'40"
Mercury0Libra43'54"
Venus26Leo18' 3"
Mars22Scorpio40'22"
Jupiter10Leo30'59"