Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 19.04.2014 at 05:59 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Oprah Winfrey (Read 1059 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Oprah Winfrey
« on: 20.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Oprah Winfrey, born 29 January 1954 at 04:30 AM in Kosciusko MS

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

• Any discussion of Oprah must include a mention of her battle with the bulge. In 1994, she carried a wheel barrel filled with 90 pounds of beef on stage to show how much she lost. Where is the battle of the bulge in her chart? (A plug for my friend Lee Lehman - she claims to have a successful electional technique for starting diets. www.leelehman.com/pages/Election.html)
  • As expected her Mercury is highly aspected, but her moon is unaspected. How did she get so popular for talking? (She claims she began her public speaking career at church when she gave an Easter speech at three and a half).
  • "Most all the mistakes I've made in my life, I've made because I was trying to please other people." Oprah claims that learning to say "No" has been the most important lesson in her life. Can we read co-dependency in a chart?
  • She is fond of saying that truth telling is the key to success. "I think the most important thing to get ahead falls back to what I truly believe in, and that is the ability to seek truth in your life. That's in all forms. You have to be honest with yourself." Can you find her commitment to truth telling?
  • Although she runs a multi-million dollar empire, she still signs all the checks (according to a 1991 interview). How come?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Oprah Winfrey
« Reply #1 - on: 19.08.2001 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Steve

I've read so much about Saturn's rise in the chart and its fall into the obscure part and yet I notice in Oprah's chart that during her so-called obscure years; her most popular and successful show was launched and endured greatly, needless to say, during these years of supposedly unavoidable years of obstacles and obscurity. Any thoughts on this?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 13.07.2001 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User JJ

Battle of the bulge - Jupiter (ruler of ascendant) in the 6th house of food.  
Why so popular at talking? - Sag is her ascendant. Her Moon is in Sag and Sag speaks her truth to the masses. And, of course, Mercury rules MC (career/status in the world)  
Can't say no? - Pluto opposes her Mercury. Jupiter in the 6th house of service trines her Venus and Sun making her want to please everyone. Her Sun is squared by Saturn in her 11th house of friends  
Commitment to truth - Mercury rules her 10th house (career/status in the world); she has Moon in Sag - (ruler of her ascendant) and Sag tells the truth to the masses. Mercury trined by Jupiter in the 6th house of service.  
Why does she sign the checks? Pluto in Leo in the 8th house of money. She controls the money.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 13.04.2001 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Edvins Augusts

The Solar Progressions (which I've been studying) are revealing. In Oprah's case: Born right after the Sun conj. Venus and just as Sun sq Saturn shows the loss of affection by separation of her mother and father. Prog. Sun trine Jupiter helped her until age 7-1/2 or so; Prog. Sun conj Mercury shows her mental development was quite good at the time, but Mercury, being neutral, couldn't help her overcome her personal problems at the time. And so the situation descended to the point where she was raped at age 9. The continuing abuse occurred while Prog. Sun was applying to square of Mars and the opposition of Pluto. The pregnancy (sq Mars) was followed by the birth and death of the child (opp Pluto) about 6-7 months later! Immediately after the Mars and Pluto aspects were passed at age 15, a burden of oppression was lifted from her and replaced immediately by Prog. Sun app. trine Neptune which developed her talents, her good looks and her charisma so that she was able to win beauty contests and soon get a job. As to her ongoing concerns with weight, perhaps the struggle is symbolized by natal Sun closely square natal Saturn conflicting with Sun and Mercury trine Jupiter, the Saturn = loss, Jupiter = gain. Simplistic, but it fits! --e.a.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 06.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jenny Engle

Oprah Winfrey's chart is much easier to understand using the Whole House system, which many professional astrologers use in their interpretive work. It places her Sun and Mercury in the 3rd house, which seems to explain her success in communication much more accurately.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 06.11.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User carell zaehn

The chart resulting from the "life-clock" hypothesis certainly seems valid as Oprah's birth chart. that gives her the Jupiter in the 10th, with Gemini on the MH talking her way to success, Aquarius and TV on the 6th with Merc in Aquarius, talking on TV. She's got a mars drive in the 3rd, in penetrating Scorpio. With a 7:50 P birthtime, her moon (on the cusp of the 4th) is opposite Jupiter expanding her weight and tying in to the emotional issues of her childhood. That Jupiter/Moon placement is great for her fame and her connections in Higher Consciousness. Notice that Capricorn is now in the 5th, and her idea of a good time is working and being totally herself. Another interesting idea to note is that on her Vedic chart, her ASC is in Leo (of course!) and her moon lands in Scorpio, which isn't the least surprising for her intense childhood misfortunes. I had the good fortune of spending a couple of hours with Oprah in the fall of '98 and she doesn't feel like a 4:30 am chart. She feels like the 7:50 PM chart.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 31.10.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User pankaj

Robert Couteau's work is an eye opener and it is not about Unaspected but least aspected. If you read what he has to say about transcendental Moon-read my previous post there is also a link to his website.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 28.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anon.

Using Koch houses, Neptune and Saturn are in the 10th and Black Moon Lilith is in the 9th at 14 deg Libra, 3 degrees from the MC. This indicates she would have a difficult time with her career, not the meteoric rise she has had. I always look for confirmation, though, and in this chart her Sun, Venus and Mercury are all intercepted, another indication she would have a very hard time in knowing what her work should be, not to mention who she is. And then there is also the South Node in Cancer in the 7th, which indicates a person defined by their family (usually glued to their family, with their family taking up all their time, even in adulthood) and someone who must learn to be self-defined in this life (NN in the 1st) which is a lifelong task. Compounding the difficulty is having the North Node conjunct Chiron, which indicates self-definition is a wounded place and needs healing. While this is true for her, the progress she has made is too fast for a person with the North Node in Capricorn in the first. Also, Bob Marks says that she has a Grand Trine between her Mercury, Jupiter and MC. Grand Trines can only occur between planets and not house cusps, nodes, Chiron or any other non-planet point in the chart. If we extended configurations (Grand Trines, kites, t-squares, etc.) to include points other than planets they would lose their meaning. It is correct that her ME, JU & MC all trine each other, but it is not a Grand Trine. I'm sure Bob knows this but I wanted to clarify it for people who might not know it.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 28.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Kate

<pre>I'd guess the battle of the bulge is related to Jupiter in the sixth house in Gemini. Health, service to others; expansion; wild fluctuations.</pre> <pre>Her success and popularity at talking -- Mercury in second house in Aquarius. (Mercury likes Air signs) Her moon being in Sagittarius in the eleventh house- may indicate this as well. A fun, humorous, laid-back, straightforward person who is instinctively drawn to groups. Again, Jupiter in the sixth house of health, work and service to others -- success and expansion in that house.</pre> <pre>Pleasing others -- Neptune in Libra in the tenth house.</pre> <pre>Truth -- Moon in Sag and Mars in Scorpio. She probably feels passionately about this. Scorpio loathes a liar. Sag is all about justice and truth.</pre> <pre>Signing all the checks -- Saturn in the tenth house in Scorpio. Obsessively responsible and intense need for control of her career environment.</pre>

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 25.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Wayne Penner

Actually the moon is not unaspected. It is sextile the powerful Sun/Venus Conjunction, and if you take the birthtime as being evening (approx 7.00 pm) the Sextile is quite close, Moon opposes a tenth House Jupiter from the cusp of the 4th. The chart you show is hard to understand given her phenomenal public success, especially with women. Moon solely sesq. Uranus and obscure on the 12th cusp - surely this cannot be in the chart of Oprah Winfrey!

IP Logged
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

« Reply #10 - on: 28.11.2001 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astro-Databank staff member
As best we can tell this IS the chart of Oprah Winfrey. The old 7:50 PM time was calculated from a TV show with a clock that showed how much time was left in Oprah's life expectancy. This 4:30 AM time comes directly from Oprah to astrologer Robert Marks when he was on her show.  
I agree with those that see a wide sextile to the Moon from her Sun-Venus conjunction. It just doesn't show up in the standard aspect set of Solar Fire which gives a maximum orb of 4 degrees. But considering the fact that luminaries are involved, I think we should grant the sextile.  
But don't miss Robert Couteau's work on The Role of the Least-aspected Planet in Astrocartography it is astoundingly good research.  
Mark McDonough, President, AstroDatabank

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 24.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

>> Where is the battle of the bulge in her chart? << No Jupiter conjunct Ascendant, but, Sag rising, and a Moon in Sag. also. Jupiter happens to be at the midpoint. Just speculation on my part.  
>>How did she get so popular for talking?<<  Aquarius are friendly sociable people, and the Mercury/Sun/Venus in Aquarius, along with her emphasis in Sag would incline her to seek to understand herself and others, through communication. Aquarius/Sag form a 3rd/11th relationship with one another, and we all know what that implies. And then there's the Jupiter in Gemini. Maybe the ruler of the ascendant is important after all!  
>> Can we read co-dependency in a chart?<<  The chart has a Sun opposite Pluto, and a Saturn in Scorpio. I'm not sure if you can read cultural phenomenon in a chart, but I suppose we read charts with that baggage also, unless we recognize it. I only point to these aspects because of the underlying neediness that Saturn/Pluto/Scorpio has a talent for hiding.  
>>Can you find her commitment to truth telling?<<  Well, we're back to the Sag/Jupiter focus in the chart, at least superficially, and also back to the need for honesty that is sought in the Pluto/Sun opposition, and the Saturn in Scorpio. If you think of the signs as being in a movement of growth, one can think of Sagittarius as being an outgrowth of Scorpio. The movement of the chart is an ongoing journey of enlightenment, in all the ways Jupiter and Sagittarius pursue this 'activity'.  
>>Although she runs a multi-million dollar empire, she still signs all the checks (according to a 1991 interview). How come?<< Back to the Scorpio/Saturn/Pluto stuff again, hehe! Seems to be a teeter-totter of questions to answer here, but I'm resigning for the evening.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 24.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Citing AstroDatabank as source for a 7:50 p.m. time of birth, published at stariq.com 5/27/00. That chart is sensible. A Virgo Asc/Moon opp. Jupiter (emotions ruling her intake of food). Pluto in H12. Oprah is a bit paranoid & may not want the public to know her exact time of birth. After all, she has her employees sign her Privacy agreements. I doubt that she wants everyone to know "everything" about her life. With Mars in Scorpio in H3, she would be in charge of her personal information/& she can be quite cutting in her remarks to those in her audience. Saturn in H2 in Scorpio denotes that she's stingy w/her money.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 20.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

On the page itself ... while I like the larger graphics for reading from the screen, (and for that matter in printed version) I haven't found a way to print this without losing half the chart! What to do? Is it possible to keep the glyphs clean and easy to read (as they are in the new version) without making the chart too large to fit on standard letter size paper? Thanks!

IP Logged
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

« Reply #14 - on: 28.11.2001 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astro-Databank staff member
Dear Anon,  
No, the larger chart for Oprah is not a new format. We're dealing with a sizing problem on the computer we use to load these charts. In fact, we'll change Oprah's chart back to the old size once we fix our problem. So I guess this is good news and bad news for you - and we promise to take another look at making the glyphs more readable at the old size. (Any suggestions out there? Have you seen a site that displays charts you consider to be really great?)

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 23.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User D.H.

The Sun, Venus, Mercury conjunction in the second house clearly explains her ability to make money by talking to people. Chiron's first house placement highlights her concern for others as being a primary personality trait. Although I would like to know more about her Saturn placement in her 10th house.  
As for the signing of her own checks. I believe she does this because Bill Cosby warned her to make sure she signs all her own checks so that no unscrupulous money manager would steal from her. Hopefully, anyone would heed this wise advice.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 23.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

* The Moon is not unaspected and makes a sextile to the stellium in Aquarius. In Sagittarius, the moon is not "nurturing" and can be emotionally detached. She doesn't have any children of her own and requires freedom for her grueling schedule. This also points to her mother's own lack of involvement in her life. However, the sextile does bring out the best in the moon and being in the sign of the chart ruler contributes to love of discussion.  
Her battle with her weight is related to Jupiter which is trine Sun/Venus/Mercury needing comfort food. This also relates to her love of social activities (air signs) in which food is always a part. Her moon also in sign of the chart ruler Jupiter also contributes to that. Her battle with her weight has helped her become so popular since everyday people can relate to the struggle. The same trine which relates to weight also shows her love of talking and popularity.  
Jupiter also contributes to her need for truth- the planet of law again is the chart ruler and active in Gemini for needing to communicate truthfully.  
Power and control are also issues Oprah has in her chart which leads to her signing her checks. The primary configuration is the T square among Mars, Pluto and Mercury - also leading to her powerful speaking abilities. She also is quite self sufficient with the planets on the western half of the chart being retrograde.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 23.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Cheryle Cote

The existing commentaries all have valid points and I find everyone's angle and perspective interesting. I won't bother repeating all the obvious points or anything that everyone has already mentioned. What I always seem to go back to are the critical degrees. They are either going to be a person's exaltation or their downfall. Oprah has her Moon, Saturn, Neptune, Sun, Venus and Jupiter all within a 1 degree orb of being critical. This ties into all of her main issues, for better or for worse. The fame and success (venus in 2nd ruling MC, jupiter ruling ASC in 6th, neptune conjunct MC), the search for truth (venus conjunct sun conjunct mercury in aquarius), her ambition and drive (sag. and cap. in 1st co-ruled by jup. and sat.), the weight fluctuations (jup. ruling the 1st, moon in sag. indicating expanding body and food indulgences) and her communication skills (sun, venus, mercury in aquarius, libra MC, jupiter in gemini in 6th).  
I would like to know if anyone out there knows of any reading material that focuses on the critical degrees in any depth or if they have used or studied them. I'm always finding them as a prominent feature in main issues in people's charts with a high degree of accuracy in describing main themes and issues.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 23.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Bill

1. I notice her Sagittarian Moon in the 12th, and quite frankly, it is NOT unaspected....the program seems not to have noticed the sextiles to her Sun and Venus....anyway, extravagant tastes for rich food seem to be indicated....plus her Aquarian need for instant gratification of these tastes....Saturn is practically the ruler of her 1st house so there is some resistance to unstructured movement....Capricorn rising can have weight problems because of poor motivation...Sagittarius on the 12th indicates she also had an active dream life and imagination...but for a time lacked the motivation to put things in motion...  
2. Once again her Moon is NOT unaspected....it is in broad-minded Sagittarius....and in sextile to Venus and the Sun, closely conjunct in Aquarius...Mercury is also in Aquarius, nearer the end....she is a fast-thinker...mixes and socializes very well...all three are in a trine pattern with Jupiter in Gemini...she will never run out of things to talk about...very strong and excellent conversation skills...plus leadership ability...these planets are in her 2nd and 6th houses of income, so their influence would lead her to her chosen field....Mars and Saturn in Scorpio, and Uranus in Cancer would tend to compel her to discuss topics that are quite sensitive in nature, drive her into controversy if not kept in check...she could step on some toes...but bring enlightenment to others...Pluto balancing out Mercury would give her motivation and desire to affect change based on the ideas she encounters...  
3. We can certainly find it here...the codependency...the Water signs Cancer, Pisces and Scorpio are extremely sensitive to the emotional environment, especially when there is a relationship involved....when not overly challenged, the Water signs are able to allow others to go through their grief and other negative feelings without feeling wrapped up...but when challenged by Fire or Air, as it is in this chart, there is this overwhelming urge to DO something about someone else's pain, rather than allow the other person to go through their own evolutionary changes....to solve that person's problems for that person...rather than allow the person to cope with the problem....the result is that her (Oprah's) energy is wasted on fixing other people, with her motivation and determination to vanquish and overcome that other person's problem, energy that now cannot be used to help herself....she abandons herself...now someone else needs to pick her up...well what if there is no one there to do so??...  
4. the key word there is commitment....and that falls under Saturn...Saturn in Scorpio must have the truth at all costs...and knows that there are consequences to not telling the truth...she has no doubt had run-ins where she did not tell the truth....she has learned...Aquarius is not exactly a fan of being truthful...Scorpio says that the price of deception is quite dear....the trine between Mercury and Neptune is not exact, but shows that she is interested in finding out the truth and reporting it....Pluto knows that change can be accomplished only by knowing the truth...  
5. Again her Saturn in Scorpio....she wants to be involved in all aspects of the business...almost an emotional attachment....she feels more powerful and self-aware when she allows herself to be aware of all transactions, minute or large....this could be an obsession...but it is also a code of honor for her...Saturn is big on honor codes...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 23.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Pankaj

Once again the least aspected planet...Moon, in this case, when developed to full potential, has given her the fame and success.  
See what Robert Couteau has to say about moon as the least aspected planet in chart: Keynote phrases for the Moon:
  • The personal soul actualized in human or sentient form.
  • The nurturing principle. The mother archetype. Indicates areas in the natal chart where one goes to seek shelter, comfort and psychic sustenance. On the mundane level, the home as the physical embodiment of these same principles.
  • The ability to relate emotionally or "tune-in" to other people's feelings and emotional needs. Public-"relation" ability. The experience of being stirred by or of absorbing others' emotions. Having "personal pull"; the pull of one's emotions on others.
  • The personal unconscious. Preconscious emotive factors determining behavior. Unconscious complexes; autonomous psychic functions in the personal unconscious. Habitual psychological dispositions.
  • The ability to communicate feelings; the extension of the soul experience to others. "Being" as the ability to experience and express emotional well-being.
  • The planet ruling women and matriarchal consciousness.
  • The connecting principle between sentient beings which, like moonlight, blurs distinctions and separations and merges things together. Like Venus, a planet embodying the Eros principle but in its maternal rather than erotic or amorous form.
  • Receptivity towards one's "soul needs" and the "soul needs" of others.
  • The primary manifestation of Yin or "Receptive" consciousness in the "symbolic" solar system.
  • In Indian astrology the Moon rules tenderness and mental tranquility.
  • The Yin energy experienced as personal relations and the personal soul.

www.dominantstar.com/tmoon.htm

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
19-Apr-2014, 04:59 UT/GMT
Sun29Aries3'59"
Moon18Sagittarius2'16"
Mercury21Aries26'35"
Venus14Pisces28'34"
Mars15Libra3'26"r
Jupiter13Cancer20'49"