Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 14.07.2014 at 09:24 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Robert Jr. Downey (Read 276 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Robert Jr. Downey
« on: 04.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

Discussion about
Robert Jr. Downey, born 4 April 1965 at 1:10 PM in Manhattan NY

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

Drugs, compassion for others, lack of self-worth, and a magical belief in invulnerability - all sounds very Neptunian. Indeed, Moon-Neptune are in a partile opposition. The wounded healer is also locked at the same degree.
  • Let's list all the signs of addiction in his chart.
  • What do you see in his transits and progressed charts that could lead to arrests for drugs on 7/20/1996, 12/08/1997, 8/05/1999 and 11/25/2000?
  • How do you account for his enormous acting talent and professional good luck?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Robert Jr. Downey
« Reply #1 - on: 04.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

The unfolding tragedy of Robert Downey Jr's life cannot be foreseen in his natal chart. His talents and challenges, which are considerable, however, can.  
Robert Downey Jr. was born on April 4, 1965 at 1:10 p.m. in Manhattan, N.Y. His Aries Sun is conjunct Venus. This aspect indicates one who, though daring and feisty, knows how to appeal to others. Venus tempers the blunt, self-directed nature of Aries and enables RDJr to put himself into other's shoes: a critical ability for any actor. This core component of his natal chart is impacted by four other planets: Pluto, Uranus, Mars, and Saturn.  
Pluto is the astrological Boiler Room, or Crucible. Its combination of emotion, heat, and pressure acts as a potential transformer and magnifier of everything it touches, intensifying , in this case, RDJr's impulsive charm. Pluto pleasures are difficult to control in any neat fashion. Given sufficient indulgence, Pluto's heat and pressure will blow its pressure cooker's seal. An Aries individual is more likely to act out the messy route here than would be the comparatively-staid Taurus or Virgo.  
Uranus is the astrological Lightening Bolt. Uranians are wired to have their circuits periodically blown: to be amazed; to see differently than they've ever seen before; to Boldly Go Where ... etc. Pluto melts us down to our basest survival essence, while Uranus peels our eyeballs further and further open. Many Uranians (as well as Neptunians and Plutonians) are drawn to paths of service, having awakened to the suffering around them. Uranus' impact on RDJr's chart is to make him unpredictable (who knows where lightning will strike next?) and difficult-to-impossible to control. Uranians prefer to write their own rules, thank you very much. They answer to their own burning Vision, regardless of consequence.  
The third component of this powerful stellium (three conjunct planets) is Mars. Mars: the God of War. Imagine for a moment that you are a Roman gladiator in the coliseum, pitted against a larger and stronger opponent, and only one of you will exit this stage alive. If you're to survive, you'll need Mars: the Will to Action. Mars prominent individuals are rarely the passive, observing sort. When their Mars circuit is open it's "COWABUNGAAAA!!!" At its best, this is pure courage; at worst it is Pickett's charge across the bare fields of Gettysburg into the teeth of a canon-fortified and well-bunkered Union Army: suicidal.  
So far we've drawn the portrait of a reckless, impulsive disaster-in the-making. Saturn, however, tempers all (or at least tries). From exactly opposite that formidable threesome, Saturn bellows: "Wait! Give this at least a little more time!" Saturn is Chronos. Old Man Time. Seen it All. Alternately conservative and randomly reckless, Saturn is perhaps our most enigmatic planetary force. It is the principle of Control and the lack thereof. It is the rubber seal on this Pluto/Uranus/Mars pressure cooker: it enables pressure to build, and build and build...  
This is the principle of explosives: for instance, take a teaspoon of gunpowder and place it in a pile on the ground. Light it, and you'll get a sudden flash and smoke. Take an equal teaspoon, however, and roll it into a paper cartridge ... and you've made a firecracker: Ignition Potential + Containment + Ignition = Boom.  
Or transformation. The kind of transformation the alchemists were after: turning base lead into gold.  
All astrological aspects are indicators of some unusual ability. Go outside just after sunset (January 10, 2001) and you'll see the full moon rising. A few handspans up and to the right you'll see a bright "star". That's Jupiter. Three fingers to the right is another, not so bright "star". That's Saturn. These two planets have been holding steady, side by side, for months, when normally the quicker-orbiting Jupiter breezes past Saturn. What you see here is not the norm. This is exactly what the ancients did night after night. They mapped the "wandering stars" and paid careful attention to what happened during unusual celestial contact periods.  
In April of 1965, a very unusual alignment occurred: three of the four slowest-moving planets came into alignment: Pluto and Uranus conjuncted one another, and Saturn opposed (180 degrees) them. Of course, many thousands were born while this slow-moving event was in effect, but in Robert Downey Jr's case, the much quicker Sun, Venus, and Mars joined the first three. This astrological "window" was open only four or five days, and at its geometrical apex on April 4.
[continued in next posting]

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 04.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

[continued from posting above:] by

Pluto, Uranus, and Saturn could be seen as the looming Rocky Mountains that Lewis and Clark encountered on their journey West, while the Sun, Venus and Mars would be that band of Lakota warriors silhouetted against the purple mountains before them.  
We don't know if Robert Downey Jr. will survive his ordeal with addiction and self-destruction. His natal chart indicates that he has the heart of a warrior and a survivor. And if he makes it through, really makes it through, he will have gained a master's appreciation and respect for forces that are at once within us all, and at the same time dwarf us.
Were I Robert Downey Jr's astrologer, I'd praise him for having hung in there for so long, advise him (obviously) to enter a lengthy detox and drug education program and advise him to study and practice a martial art, probably Tai Chi or Aikido. This would help him to simultaneously engage and discipline his immense spirit. This is one option of many. Ultimately it's his choice: whether to live like a blown ash above a volcano or as a willow branch, kneeling to drop the heavy snow.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 22.01.2001 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Richard Charles Lowe

The astrological natal chart is like a snapshot of the sky at the moment of birth. This "snapshot" remains the same over time. Of course, all the planets continue moving after every birth, and these movements can be timed, revealing one's major life themes. Two of the most powerful methods of timing these life epochs are Secondary Progressions and Transits. Here, I'll focus only on Robert Downey Jr's Secondary Progressions.  
A Progression (for short) is basically a One Day = One Year formula. RDJr was born on April 4, 1965 at 1:10p.m. in Manhattan, NY. To determine his Progressions at five years old we simply add five days to April 4, 1965: April 9, 1965. And so forth.  
The Sun moves about one degree per day, therefore we know that RDJr's Progressed Sun will be approximately 35 degrees past its natal position when he's 35 years old. As Progressions go, the Sun is a quickie. The outer planets (Pluto, Neptune, Uranus & Saturn) move much, much more slowly. In 35 days Pluto moves only a couple of degrees! This means that if you have a natal aspect with one of these slow moving planets, its Progression will likely have a profound influence on you.  
Let's begin with the slowest Progression: Pluto. RDJr has a very exact natal Sun (in Aries) aspect to Pluto (150 degrees, or quincunx, in Virgo). Pluto and Aries energies are in many ways similar: both like living on the edge, pushing the envelope. So to begin with, we're looking at someone we're more likely to find sky-diving naked than sitting quietly in the corner at a New Years Eve party.  
Pluto is "retrograde" in RDJr's natal chart. Therefore, the Progression of Pluto in RDJr's chart will be from a higher number to a lower number. Specifically: 14.29 degrees natally, moving downwards.  
Pluto also makes a total of five major aspects in RDJr's natal chart. By Progression, Pluto is "applying" or "closing in" on every one of these aspects. Five natal planets being affected by Progressed Pluto simultaneously!? This is clearly a lifetime of learning the uses of power and the dangers of its abuse.  
The planets being aspected are: The Sun ( obviously, not a planet), Venus, Mars, Saturn, and Uranus.  
Progressed Pluto began closing in on RDJr's Sun /Venus conjunction (@13.81 Aries is the midpoint) at birth. For the first 27 years of his life, Pluto slowly moved from 14.29 degrees down to 13.81 (Sun/Venus) , indicating a 27 year period of being INCREASINGLY attracted to (Venus) a life of danger and intensity and obsession (Sun with Pluto) and sensuality/seduction (Pluto/Venus).  
A Pluto progression to natal Uranus indicates a period of increasing independence; an unwillingness to be contained or controlled by anyone or anything. In a natal chart like Robert Downey Jr's we can see how difficult it must be for him to accept any weakness or vulnerability in himself, or to accept any restrictions put on him. This Progression lasts 51 years, until Pluto "stops" at 13.68 degrees and begins to "go forward" (back towards exact aspect with the Sun/Venus conjunction). So this is basically in effect his entire life.  
Not only does RDJr have a 51 year Progression of Pluto to Uranus; he has the same 51 year Progression to Saturn and to Mars.  
The Pluto and Saturn contacts by Progression are what astrologers call a classic "Double Whammy": Progressed Pluto applies (in opposition, or 180 degree aspect) to natal Saturn, while Progressed Saturn simultaneously applies to natal Pluto. The Pluto to Saturn Progression lasts 51 years; the Saturn Progression to Pluto lasts 23 years. Pluto/Saturn contacts are indicators of a "Devil May Care" attitude. Saturn is the principle of Control and Lack thereof; Pluto again, is intensity. So we'd expect to see periods of extraordinary self control followed by periods of extraordinary recklessness.  
Many of RDJr's directors have commented on his absolute professionalism while on the set.  
The next simultaneous Progression is Pluto Progressing to natal Mars. Let's separate it from the others for just a moment for the sake of clarity: by itself, a Pluto Progression to natal Mars indicates a period of increasing desire for power: professional power, sexual power, athletic power, personality power etc. As a natal aspect, Mars/Pluto is indicative of the most competitive individuals, male or female. In males, however, the emphasis is often of sex: gotta have it. Lots of it. This aspect shows up incredibly frequently in professional athlete's natal charts.  
Mars/Pluto people insist on driving, and it's their way or the highway.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 22.01.2001 at 12:30 [UT] »

[continued from posting above:] by Richard Charles Lowe

The next Progression to track is Uranus, the astrological Lightning Bolt. Pure Uranian energy is brilliant, iconoclastic, and erratic. Think "Mad Scientist". Think "John Lennon", too. In RDJr's natal chart, Uranus Progresses towards Mars, reaching 10.70 degrees (just shy of his natal 10.20 degree Mars) when he's 31 years old, and "stationing" (stopping). This is Uranus' peak influence on Mars: "Get your hands off me" themes dominate this contact. " I know how to do this better than anyone else" themes.  
Aggressive, Know-It-All stuff. "F*** you!" Wrap this together with a natal Sun/Venus conjunction and you have someone likely to tell you where you can go while charming you at the same time (if he so desires).  
Finally , let's look at Progressed Mars. RDJr's natal Mars is at 10.20 degrees (Virgo) and is retrograde. It stations when he's about 16 years old and begins moving direct, reaching its natal position (10.20 Virgo) when he's 31. This in itself in extremely rare. The Progressed Mars Return indicates a time to make a choice. The most empowering choice would be to harness one's energy and drive; to focus intensely on creating what one desires, or to invest great energy into projects which help others create and maintain their independence (Mars to Uranus). A less powerful choice is simply to put the pedal to the metal in whatever way tickles his fancy at the time.  
When he's 38, his Progressed Mars will reach Uranus (and simultaneously oppose his natal Saturn). This one's tricky: Mars, Uranus, and Pluto are all "Live Free or Die" types. One manifestation of Saturn is "imprisonment". Well, something's going to have to give here. I can't think of a more challenging astrological circumstance than the one I see here.  
These are just RDJr's slowest moving progressions. The progressed Sun, Moon, Mercury and Venus all have tremendous impact. I firmly believe we aren't pawns of the stars. At every moment, Robert has the free will to take a different, more healing and profitable path. But in order to take the Higher Road he'll have to pay the toll: taking total responsibility for his life exactly as it is now.  
I hope he opens himself to the grace, the miracle that will allow him to do so before it's too late

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 15.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Bonnie Browne

Based upon my observations, I believe that the Mars, Uranus, Pluto stellium quincunx Sun and opposed by Saturn, ruler of the 6th, indicates a chemical imbalance affecting his nervous system that creates a subconscious, compulsive urge to regain stability through the drugs he chooses to use. I would suggest that he have himself evaluated thoroughly in this regard to receive assistance that will enhance his life.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 04.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Sy Scholfield

Well, I'm glad there wasn't a question about indicators of a "bisexual astro-signature" in the way that the question about a "gay astro-signature" was posed with Liberace's chart (and why may I ask has that question since been censored from Liberace's chart and bio page?).  
Regarding "the signs of addiction" in Downey's chart, I refer you to my comments in the section of this website about Alcoholism. There, I suggested there would be substance abuse issues in the chart with (1) Sun, Moon, Acendant, or Ruler of the Ascendant in Pisces or Sagittarius [note -- I did not consider this the most important factor, the order of the questions followed on from the study given]. (2) Neptune/Jupiter on an angle. (3) Neptune/Jupiter in aspect to Sun, Moon, ASC, or ASC ruler. (4) Neptune and/or Jupiter in aspect to Twelfth and Ninth House rulers and cusps (and their decanate rulers).  
As three of my four suggestions involved the Planets and Houses, I consider them more important to the issue than the Signs. These factors in a chart won't "turn" the subject into a substance abuser but they will probably mean that some sort of substance abuse issues occur in the subject's life (just look at Ronald Reagan's chart - he lived his life in reaction to his father who was an alcoholic).  
Let's check these factors in Downey's chart. (1) Nil, but I would like to add that the Sun - ruler of the Ascendant -- is in the Ninth House (on the cusp) and ruling the decanate on the Ninth cusp. Also, Moon - ruler of the Twelfth - is on the Equal Zenith, therefore the Houses are as important here as the Signs. (2) Neptune is on the base of the chart - as always I use Equal Houses. (3) Neptune is widely quincunx the Sun (ASC ruler) and opposite the Moon; Jupiter is not angular but is conjunct the Moon. (4) Neptune is opposite the Twelfth House ruler (Moon), trine the Twelfth House cusp, & sextile the ruler of the decanate on the Twelfth cusp (Pluto). The ONLY aspect Jupiter makes is a conjunction with the ruler of the Twelfth cusp (Moon). This Jupiter factor is important here - that's why I raised the suggestion earlier that Jupiter, Sagittarius and the Ninth House can be as significant to addiction issues as Neptune, Pisces and the Twelfth House.  
What is it with this strange mostly-American, mostly-male addiction to naming sons after fathers?? Why couldn't his father have given him his own personal name?? I feel sorry for "Robert Jnr" -- imagine being a "junior" most of your life -- it's degrading. Especially with that strong Leo Rising and almost unaspected Jupiter ruling Fifth House, he may have had less problems in his life if his control-freak parent/s had just given him his own name -- it's such a basic identity thing... http://Astroqueer.tripod.com

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 10.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

First off, let me say that I have not taken a look at any transits & progressions for this particular chart. It seemed to me that Robert's chart spoke volumes on its own without transits & progs. First off, he has a Leo Ascendant (the STAR!) and, according to C.E.O. Carter's "Encyclopedia of Psychological Astrology" the most likely to die as a result of an accident or suicide (whether accidental or intended). His chart seems to have the highest of highs & the lowest of lows, which I'll attempt to explain. Robert's professional luck could easily be seen by the placements of his Mercury, Moon & Jupiter. They're all elevated... Mercury is in a cardinal sign in the 9th and his Moon & Jupiter are in his Venus ruled 10th ... all accounting for great talent & public appeal ... audiences just love him because he has such range & grasp of his roles. Also of note his Sun trines his Asc as does his Venus ... 2 beautiful lucky aspects. Not to mention that the Sun & Moon are both exalted and Mercury & Mars are in mutual reception to one another. Some more positive points of notice but are blaringly obvious is his Moon/Jupiter midpoint being on his MC ... denoting sociableness, popularity & "Film star mannerisms" ... however this same midpoint's downside is disadvantage through "too rich" living. Now onto some of negative signs in his chart and, believe me, they are numerous. First thing I noticed was his conjunction of Mars, Uranus & Pluto all clustered there within a few degrees of each other in "lots of emotional baggage & anal retentive" Virgo.  
This position itself would indicate to me someone who takes way too many risks & literally thrives on "living on the edge". The 2/8 axis in his chart is quite telling and of great interest to me ... you have Mars, Uranus & Pluto in the 2nd opposing his Neptune (drugs, alcohol, substance abuse) ruled 8th house which has Saturn and Chiron residing there. Chiron in Pisces ... how telling ... the wounded healer ... Robert's Achilles heel is practically that whole 8th house ... Saturn & the fact it's ruled by Pisces bade poorly for him.  
Along with this his Neptune in Scorpio (ruled by Pluto) is in the 4th house which would indicated to me that his family life was probably one big, dysfunctional, "illusion" and he has no emotional "anchor" there. His Neptune in the 8th trines his Chiron in the 8th ... again, that whole Neptune placement/Neptune ruled house theme.  
Downey's Fifth house cusp ruling leisure activities, pleasures, etc. is Sagittarius where his South Node resides. His leisure activities are all "Sagittarian" in nature ... living on the edge, life of the party, type of guy ... his South Node placement here indicates that it's his free-wheeling lifestyle that could be impeding his success both professionally & personally. Taking a look at a few of Downey's Arabic Part placements is enlightening as well, if not startling: His Part of Fortune (or shall I say in his case, Notoriety!) is conjunct both Uranus & Pluto. His Part of Treachery is exactly trining Neptune (again, the substances) and Chiron. His part of Death is conjunct Jupiter ... not exactly promising. His Part of Danger/Peril are conjunct his Sun and, to top all that off, the Part of the Killing Planet trines the Moon & conjuncts Uranus, Pluto & his Part of Fortune. In summation, I would say that this is a chart of a truly gifted individual with a lot of emotional growing up to do as well as a lot of healing to do. There is no doubt he's truly talented in a "Hollywood" sense but his chart does scream of predisposition to addictions of some sort & he'll need all the strength & positive attributes of his chart to keep him alive. I think, if he can do that, his potential as both a person & an actor are virtually limitless.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 09.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jeff Jawer, CEO-Publisher, StarIQ.com

How about Progressed Sun exactly (to the day) opposed his Neptune the evening of his arrest?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 07.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anthony Louis

1. Let's list all the signs of addiction in his chart.  
Some signs of addiction include:
  • Cancer (oral gratification) on the 12th cusp (self-undoing).
  • Moon (assimilation) ruling the 12th (hang-ups) opposite Neptune (escapism, drugs, alcohol).
  • Mars conjunct Uranus (taking extreme risks).
  • Sun (core identity) quincunx Neptune (confusion, abuse of substances).

2. What do you see in his transits and progressed charts that could lead to arrests for drugs on 7/20/1996, 12/08/1997, 8/05/1999 and 11/25/2000?  
This question is a tall order and could take several pages to analyze. I would like to focus on the first arrest, which occurred on June 23, 1996 as reported at www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesArtistsD/downey.html: "Downey, 31, was arrested June 23 by police who said they found crack, heroin and an unloaded .357 magnum in his truck."  
The following astrological factors were in effect at the time of the 23 June 1996 arrest:
  • Progressed Mars (which was retrograde at birth) conjoined its natal position on 24 May 1996.
  • Solar Arc directed Ascendant conjoined natal Pluto (illicit activities) on 18 June 1996.
  • Progressed Moon squared natal Sun on 20 June 1996.
  • Solar Arc directed Pluto (involvement with police, unconscious forces) opposed natal Sun on 22 June 1996.
  • Solar Arc directed Uranus (self-will) is stressfully quincunx natal Saturn (the laws of society) on 29 June 1996.
  • Transiting Uranus square natal MC on 29 June 1996 (sudden changes in public standing. I use transiting Uranus for rectification. A 1:11 p.m. birth time would make this transit exact at the time of the first arrest.)

I would venture a psychological interpretation of Downey's behavior based on the above pattern in light of his birth chart. Mars rules his sun-sign Aries. When progressed Mars conjoins its natal position, he is under pressure to become his own person and more firmly establish his individual identity. The problem is that his Mars (identity) is closely linked at birth to Uranus (his unique talent) and Pluto (his use of power and his psychological complexes). This tight conjunction Mars-Uranus-Pluto closely opposes natal Saturn in Pisces, which among other things represents his father (Saturn) who is a film director (Pisces). In Downey's astrocartography chart, his Mars, Uranus, Saturn, and Pluto lines all pass through the region of southern California where his arrests occurred.  
In June 1996 the Solar Arc Uranus quincunx Saturn signifies his psychological conflict with his image of his father as a harsh and retaliatory figure (Saturn). Recall that Saturn wrested power from Uranus by cutting off his genitals and flinging them into the sea. Downey, who identifies with Uranus, is caught up in a classical Oedipal conflict with his father. He unconsciously fears that becoming his own person will threaten his father who will then retaliate in a castrating fashion. Rather than outdo his father, he must be a screw-up. The basic message is: "Look, dad, I'm not a threat to you, I'm just a screw-up, so there's no need to do me harm." This man needs psychotherapy to free himself from his unconscious fears so that he can adequately use his talents and contribute to society.  
3. How do you account for his enormous acting talent and professional good luck?  
Downey has Leo (drama) rising. Moon (public appeal) and Jupiter (good fortune) are prominent in the 10th house. Sun is conjunct Venus: a flair for form and style. An abundance of fire (Sun, Venus, Mercury) give verve and enthusiasm.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 06.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Southern Cross

Leo-rising is a natural-born actor, and Moon-Jupiter in the tenth brought popularity and luck in his profession. Jupiter at 26*Taurus conjunct malefic Algol, however, means Downey has to "find Jesus" and straighten out his family life, or ruin a brilliant career.  
The Neptune-Chiron-Moon configuration certainly relates to his drug addiction, but old astrology recipe books also indicate the importance of Virgo Mars-Uranus-Pluto in the second (money) opposite Pisces Saturn-Chiron in the eighth (sex) house. Downey himself said: "For me, it was about women and spending. The drugs were the icing, part of the deal. They all worked together. I was clearly thinking I needed this stuff". Unresolved oppositions produce disequilibrium, where problems at one pole result from events at the other end of the axis. Downey's own words, along with possible prison rape and his liking for Wonder Woman clothing, indicate he was unsure (Saturn) of his masculinity (Mars), and resorted to artificial enhancements. The ruling Aries Sun conjunct Venus inconjunct the Virgo planets also shows a discrepancy between stage and bedroom performance.  
Analyzing transits:
  • June 23, 1996 and July 20, 1996 arrests: Saturn 7*Aries on ninth-house cusp.
  • Dec. 8, 1997 back in jail: Sun 16*Sag. on fifth-house cusp.
  • Aug. 5, 1999 got two years in prison: Mars 13*Scorpio square Sun 13*Leo conjunct natal Ascendant.
  • Nov. 25, 2000, 9PM arrest: Mars 13*Libra opposite natal Venus and Venus 16*Cap semi-sextile fifth-house cusp.

Transits 1, 2, and 4 make sense using the Koch House system. For those who have yet to try it, Koch is an "equal house system" since it follows Kepler's Second Law that equal areas are swept out in equal times of the trisected diurnal arc (this differs entirely from equal degrees of spatial movement!!). As fellow Gainesville grad Richard Nolle likes to say, "Astrology is about time, what else is there?" While many older astrologers still use Placidus (which I first learned), the consensus among the better young astrologers here in Brazil is that Koch is the one correct house system.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 06.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

On some level, I crave simplicity, and this format of a few questions, offers it.  
>>List all the signs of addiction in his chart.<< Neptune in Scorpio, Saturn in Pisces, and the Moon, opposing Neptune. Add to this, the solar, and equal house location of Neptune-8th and 4th, Saturn-12th and 8th, and that's enough for just about anyone, to get stuck in the mud. {Add to this, the Sun at the midpoint of Moon/Saturn and Neptune/Saturn at 16% cardinal, if you like more complexity.}  
>>What do you see in the t's and p's that could lead to arrest for drugs, on the following dates?<< Nothing comes out, which isn't implied in the chart itself. One could say Leo rising, or Venus conjunct the Aries Sun, isn't exactly given over to discipline, but why does it make no difference in some charts, and create havoc in another? Looking at the Solar/Saturn relationship and at what the Moon reflects, tells the struggle with addiction, and it's central importance in this life. The t's and p's together, tell when the weaknesses inherent in the chart, are likely to be activated. For all 3 dates, the Saturn return in 94/95 and it's movement over the natal Sun/Venus, and Moon over the following 5 approx. years, is the important transit to get a backdrop overview. Additionally Pluto's movement into Sagittarius, lends increasing pressure on the natal charts Saturn opposition with Mars/Uranus/Pluto. For the July 20/96 date, the significant prog, is the Moon moving through Cancer in the 12th hitting the critical midpoints mentioned above-Neptune/Saturn, and Moon/Saturn.  
>>How do you account for his enormous acting talent, and professional good luck?<< Neptune/Moon squaring the Leo ascendant is the obvious answer to the first part, but so is Saturn in Pisces, although you probably won't hear anyone say that too often. For the luck part, look to Jupiter squaring the ascendant from above, and the Sun/Venus is certainly a charming combination to draw too much of a good thing your way, from time to time.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 06.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User grekson

I hope that you get the birthtimes correct.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 06.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anon.

One thing that stands out is the Pluto/Pluto Square (and Pluto/Uranus square, Pluto/Mars square). Been there, and it was not pleasant. In fact, most people I talk to about the Pluto/Pluto square say they are lucky to have survived it. Pluto's ruler Scorpio runs Robert's 4th house-natally (5th hse relocated). Natally, an abusive home with drugs. Let's not forget that Neptune is in Scorpio, sitting at the bottom IC (lowest point) of the chart. Neptune in that position means drug problems just due to it's location. Pluto will conjunct Neptune shortly. Also, Pluto crossing an angle (4th)is the most difficult time. This means he is going back to his roots of home/mother and needing to transform. You know, Pluto says, "you will transform, like it, or not." Of course, Pluto takes you to the bottom on the barrel amongst all the muck. Makes you face things you would rather not face. It's Pluto's way, or the highway, no getting out of it. This is major transformation for Robert.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Ed Falis

What an amazing chart! This is the kind of chart that makes you wonder why you ever doubt astrology (and believe me, I've had my moments in 30+ years of it).  
I realize this may not be the forum for rectification, but I'll indulge myself anyway, and propose a time of 13:15. There are a couple of times between 13:10 and that time that are also reasonable candidates, but this one rings the bells.  
I use techniques based on both the conventional tropical zodiac and on placidian "mundo" positions (oblique ascensions).  
Starting with the tropical positions, we can see the following configurations of note:  
Su = Ve = Ma/Ne = Pl/Earth sq = Ma/Mo, with the sun and venus at the apex of a yod to Pl, Earth (equal 4th cusp).  
Additionally, we have Saturn opp the Ma/Ur/Pl conjunction, and the very tight Mo/Ne opposition (12' arc for parallax-corrected moon).  
So, we can see a few things going on at a fairly high level (solar zodiac). First, all three of these rather dramatic configurations are connected to each other through midpoint relationships. We can see the "good knight/bad knight" of Ma/Ne, which along with Mo/Ne indicates the idealism and possible drug use, the explosiveness of the multi-conjunction held in rein by the opposition to saturn (also a pretty good indication of the potential for the bi-polar syndrome there). Note that merc is 150 neptune, though that's not as dramatic in this frame of reference as the relationship in mundo.  
When we switch to the mundo perspective, things become even more intense. This can be considered an "earth" zodiac, if you like, indicating how the potentials of the tropical positions are likely to manifest. The "big" relationships here are reflections around the angles (situations where the Mc or Asc are at midpoints).  
Here we have the clear indications of both his career success and his problems. Sun and Jupiter are reflected around the 4/10 axis, as are Mo and Me (11' arc). Additionally, Me and Ne are reflected around the 1/7 axis (2' arc). Mo opposed Ne (9'). And Saturn remains in opposition to Ur (32'), Pl (44'), and Ma (~2 degrees). So, there's a whole bundle happening involving M = A = Su/Ju = Mo* Ex Member = Me/Ne (assuming a 90 degree dial). Check out Ebertin.  
When we look at the period from 96 to the present using primary directions, we can see a pretty intense activation of both the Su/Mo/Me/Ne configuration and the Ma/Sa/Ur/Pl one.  
I didn't bother with the progressions and transits for the events listed in the bio, except for the most recent arrest. Primaries will tend to run over a period of a year, with peak times of influence as they become exact.  
7/20/96 - 3rd arrest in a month:  
directed Ma conj 1 (5'), dir Pl conj 1 (7'), both applying. MC = dir Mo/ na Mo (5') = dir Ne/na Ne (53' loose) sq = dir Mo / na Ne (15') sq = dir Ne / na Mo (44' loose). dir Mo conj na Me (17'). dir Ju 45 na Sa (22')  
Drugs? Force? etc. Really dramatic.  
12/8/97 - returned to jail. Most of the same configuration still hold, but have loosened their orbs. dir Ju 135 na Ur is now at 14' orb.  
2/13/98 - moved after fight with another inmate. Similar configurations, different orbs (all less than a degree), some looser, some tighter. Ju 135 Ur is now 4'.  
6/22/99 - Jail again A new set of configurations starts to move in.  
dir Ur conj 1 (9'), dir Sa conj 7 (29'), dir Ve opp Pl (29'), dir Ju 135 Ma (15'), M = dir Sa / dir Ur (38').  
There's a distinct change of flavor here from the neptunian to the Sa/Ur.  
8/5/99 - Sentenced to 2 years prison.  
Very similar to June, except that saturn is now closer to partile at 5', while uranus has moved out to 12'. Ju 135 Ma is now 3', and M = Sa/Ur is 7'.  
11/25/00 - Arrested again.  
The saturn and uranus directions are moving out of orb. (47' and 1 degree + respectively). Dir Su opp Pl (22'), dir Mo 150 Ne (37'), dir Ne 150 Mo (15') dir Ve opp Ur (33'). The tone is changing again.  
Lest there be any question about progressions, Sa conj 1 (55' applying), Pl sq Mo (20'), Pl sq Ne (29'), A = pr Mo/ pr Ur (35'), M = pr Ma/ pr Sa (57') on the date of the arrest, using the quotidian angles, which are accurate to about a day. Note that natal M = tr Ma/ tr Sa (20') at the given time of the arrest.  
At this point, the really hard directed conjunctions to the angles are moving away. There are still a couple of moderately difficult directions playing out over the next year, but the heavy activations of the natal configurations by primary direction are almost done. The opposition of directed sun to pluto can be a time of taking stock and restarting.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

[continued from posting above:] by Ed Falis
This was a once or twice in a lifetime kind of period for him, where his most intense natal configurations were being activated combined with directions to the angles.  
But this is the kind of thing that convinces me that astrology works - even though we can't quite explain why.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User William C. Autrey

Being manic depressive bi polar Aries myself who is bi sexual I can vouch for the stupidity of self medication The trouble with medication is that it reduces the genius factor The Moon Neptune opposition abetted by the Moon is a tough one. My use of Lithium has saved me from a similar fate. I hope he does the same.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User RoseHunter

Moon conjunct Jupiter in the tenth house of fame makes the public love him no matter what.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Bill Lindsay

This is my commentary on the chart of Robert Downey, Jr....  
1. Signs of Addiction....I have a hard time ignoring the Sun-Mercury-Venus combination in Aries being in a very unfavorable position in relation to the rest of his chart which is tied together in a powerful rectangle trine/sextile pattern....Aries says do what you want, when you want to, regardless of the consequences....which can involve physical or emotional pain ...taking drugs can alleviate this pain, but only cause more damage....drugs are also a way of taking control....Leo doesn't like NOT being in control...his 4th house Neptune is in Scorpio...at home he was very sensitive and highly vulnerable, and as we have seen from the bio he could easily pick up whatever coping habits his parents had....his father's need for independence and being "on top" of things shines through....Neptune is the rescuer, but we can turn that around to show how the individual seeks to be rescued....Robert must have saved the day quite often, and felt like everyone depended on him a bit too much....so he frequently indulges in a dangerous habit, knowing full well that he will be bailed out of the problem, by being sent to rehab, or jail, and then subsequently being bailed out by another compassionate benefactor....  
2. Arrests....I am not a fan of progressed charts....but I do do transits.....let's see....okay on 20 July 1996, we had the Moon going through Virgo touching his Mars-Uranus-Pluto conjunction....Sun in Cancer coming out of a Grand Trine with Neptune and Saturn....pretty deep emotional time....but we have Mars in Gemini casting a very exact square with the Virgo combo....bringing out the rebel in him...and a need for mental stimulation...he felt very confined and he wanted a release....on 8 Dec 1997 we have the Sun in Sag casting a trine to his own Sun, and a square to the Virgo stuff, saying I'll do what I want so stuff it , and Jupiter in Aquarius putting more emphasis on the rebel theme....I also note Neptune being in Capricorn with both Mars and Venus in a spectacular conjunction on that date...must have had some pretty demanding days at work....Moon was in Aries passing over the conjunction he has in that sign...on 5 August 1999, probably the most notable thing was he had Sun right on his rising degree plus the node, and he was experiencing a lunar return (Moon transiting Taurus, where his Moon is)...as a matter of fact, the Sun on that day was completing an unbelievably close Grand Square, right there on his major angles, with Mars in Scorpio (on his 4th house, close to his Neptune), Uranus in Aquarius (7th House), and Saturn in Taurus (on his 10th near his Moon)....what a day to indulge carelessly in destructive habits (Sun Square Mars and Neptune in Scorpio, and opposite devil-may-care Uranus) and get arrested!! (Saturn here is the authorities)....on 25 Nov 2000, just 9 days ago, Moon and Mercury were just passing over his Neptune, and in square to Uranus in his own sign (in fact he is passing over the very degree that Jupiter passed during his 1997 arrest--17 Aquarius), and we have Saturn passing over his Jupiter in Taurus....so he was ready for another stay in jail...  
3. Acting talent is often attributed to Leo, and you can say that in his case it might even be an addiction of some form, allowing him to escape the confinement he sees in his life off-camera....Aries gives him lots of motivation, and I can see the bipolar tendencies here...at times he is very strict and exacting on himself, and very sensitive to what others need from him (the Earth-Water combinations), at other times he just totally wants to alienate everyone and put himself in danger (the Aries combo).....evidently such episodes were many...he is bound to have that knowing....a very exact memory of how particular situations felt and how to bring them out in his work....the highs and the lows....he is thus likely to know how to elicit such feelings from others, whether his close friends and associates, or his audience....professional good luck can be found in the combination in Virgo...Mars and Pluto conjunct Uranus....he does nothing halfway, and can be extremely spontaneous, so things can happen---sudden windfalls and turns of fortune....this whole thing is in a close opposition to his Saturn in Pisces...he likes being helpful for no reason at all, working for the hell of it....and not just the money....which inevitably comes his way....  
Thank you for this opportunity to see Mr. Downey's chart....I have been thinking of him lately wondering what his chart must be like!! Smiley Bill

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Frances Lee Rainbolt

Unfortunately, Downey's Mars/Neptune=Sun midpoint is both his talent and his test. In the birthplace the Sun rules the asc, but in Los Angeles the Moon rules the Asc which is oppo Neptune. His Saturn-Uranus oppo has recently been hit by Pluto @ 11'Sg setting up a T-sqr. In the relo chart in L.A. that Neptune is conjunct the Vtx in the 5th house. Acting and its accompanying benefits may be the very thing that sets off self-destruction.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
14-Jul-2014, 08:24 UT/GMT
Sun21Cancer50'17"
Moon18Aquarius33' 8"
Mercury1Cancer9'32"
Venus24Gemini53'54"
Mars24Libra9'47"
Jupiter29Cancer32'14"
Saturn16Scorpio40'42"r