Uranus12Aries55'54"r4n28
    Neptune4Pisces48'34"10s26
    Pluto11Capricorn53'15"20s40
    TrueNode18Libra41'32"r7s19
    Chiron13Pisces5'52"r2s10
    Explanations of the symbols
    Chart of the moment
| My Astro | Forum | FAQ
Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 22.11.2014 at 10:03 [UT]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Bob Geldof (Read 2858 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Bob Geldof
« on: 29.06.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Bob Geldof, born 5 October 1951 at 2:20 PM in Dublin

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

Live 8 Concerts begin next week. The brain behind these concerts is Bob Geldof, formerly lead singer of "Boomtown Rats," businessman, activist. A BBC article on October 15, 2004 described him as "The man who fulfilled his boyhood dream of becoming a rock star 'to get rich and to get laid', and went on to become Saint Bob.." Let's review Geldof's chart to see just what he's made of!
  • Where in Geldof's chart is the unkempt punker-turned-activist, with the energy, vision, commitment, drive and organizational skills that these mega-concerts require?
  • Geldof has said, "I have a very low boredom threshold. I'm Irish through and through, so I've got the words to communicate with people and therefore they may listen. I can write those words down. My Dad was a salesman selling towels. I sell tunes and ideas. It's all very comprehensible, you know." Where in the chart do you see this articulate son of a salesman who uses language so constructively and persuasively, often without mincing words or catering to audience sensitivities?
  • Geldof has known personal tragedy. His mother died suddenly when he was 7; his wife left him and subsequently died of a drug overdose. What factors in his chart might indicate these deaths and his custody battles for his children?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Bob Geldof
« Reply #1 - on: 06.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

Well, I never really know which house system to use, and I've got into the Placidus habit. Those house cusps seem to work for me, but for me the jury's out. It doesn't make too much difference here, because there's so much stuff at the top of the sky, and Gauquelin's sectors mean that that a packed late 9th house seems to function much as a packed early tenth does.  
A Venus Mars conjunction can lend a roughness to beauty, a charm to one's assertiveness; this is the combo that can swear yet still win hearts. The 9th is the house of the arrow, the idea that flies a long way, if it flies at all. And it's conjunct the SN in Virgo, so his fate is to communicate a purity of intention. Transiting Uranus has just passed over his NN, so reawakening the desire to serve in the role for which he is expecially well designed, and how Piscean is it that it's through music that he hopes to help us understand that we are all one?
Virgo can be a bit slutty, too, and he finds that attractive in a woman. The interplay between the signs Pisces and its opposite pole, Virgo, and the presence of Venus/Mars does suggest a certain martyrdom in his relationships, and perhaps the role of martyr is not always played by the same partner.
The stellium in Libra at the zenith of his chart indicates that justice is his vocation. Saturn is exalted in Libra, which ultimately denotes the impartial judge, Karma itself, which is beyond right and wrong. What the impartial judge demands is balance, the equalising of the scales. Geldof is driven to help share the world's wealth fairly but he doesn't use politics but appeals to a higher power,and this is the higher power to which he appeals. The slogan projected on the backdrop at the London concert was 'Not charity, but justice', and that certainly fits Geldof's Saturn. Mercury adjacent to it gives him the power to articulate this insight, so innate to his personality. The opposition from Jupiter enhances and expands the effect of the stellium.
It's late for me; I shall return to this chart shortly; I look forward to read what others have to say.  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 06.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Chris

Being a Libran with 10th ruler Virgo's planet there plus Neptune conjunct Sun denotes compassion and speaking out about the injustices he sees. Sagittarius rising denotes the honesty with which he expresses the social injustices he sees and doesnt pull his punches. Ruling planet Jupiter in 4th means a nurturing role and generosity and open mindedness towards family members regardless of circumstances.Ruler of his 9th house of foreign issues and culture plus morality and ethical issues is the Sun in Libra in the 10th conjunct Neptune, Mercury and Saturn in the 10th of the public arena. Mercury conjunct Saturn can denote harsh speech along with deep thinking and set ideas.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jotown

<b>1.) </b> <b>Where in Geldof's chart is the unkempt punker-turned-activist, with the energy, vision, commitment, drive and organizational skills that these mega-concerts require?</b> <b>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</b>
Mr. Geldof has a T-Square with Uranus in Cancer in the 7th house as the focal point. The T-Square also involves Jupiter in Aries opposite the Stellium in Libra. Mercury is closely conjunct Saturn indicating high intelligence. The Mercury/Saturn conjunction squares Uranus which can produce a scattered and electric thinking/communicating style. When you add the opposition of Mercury/Saturn to Jupiter in the third you get someone who is always overreaching and overextending mentally, as well as practically.  
When you put this all together you get a very busy very intense mind/person who is a bit eccentric (Uranus) and not that concerned with his appearance; more absent minded professor than anarchist. The T-Square also shows his mental muscle as well as his organizational skills. Saturn is exalted in Libra which makes it the strongest planet in the T-Square and Stellium and its position at the top of his chart shows the CEO. When you factor in the Neptune/Sun conjunction along with the Sun/Jupiter opposition you get the vision and idealism that underlies all of his actions.
This T-Square defines much of this life.
<b>2.)</b> <b> Where in the chart do you see this articulate son of a salesman who uses language so constructively and persuasively, often without mincing words or catering to audience sensitivities?</b> <b>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</b>
Venus/Mars conjunct in Virgo gives the passionate orator with a skill for language. Venus is in mutual reception with Mercury so he is able to communicate eloquently (Mercury/Libra) though his voice (Venus) with precision (Virgo). That Mercury is conjunct Saturn/Sun in the tenth gives him, and his voice its authority. Venus conjunct Mars give him the warrior spirit and force to project his voice above the din. Uranus in the seventh shows his skill at using technology to create very unlikely/unique partnerships (Rock stars and Governments)
Jupiter in the third is in Quintile to the Venus/Mars conjunction. This also adds to his oratory skill while giving him the conviction of his principles (Jupiter) to not dumb down his message.
<b>3.) </b> <b> Geldof has known personal tragedy. His mother died suddenly when he was 7; his wife left him and subsequently died of a drug overdose. What factors in his chart might indicate these deaths and his custody battles for his children?</b> <b>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</b>
I don't know if you can see death of a mother or girlfriend in a birth chart (despite what medieval or vedic astrologers might say) but the Moon in the twelfth square to Mars/Venus shows that mothers affection could be absent or unavailable. Pluto semisquare to Mercury (ruler of the seventh house of partnerships) could indicate relationships that end with great finality.
With Placidus houses (which is what I use) the Libra Stellium is in the ninth house of the lower courts. The Sun/Saturn/Mercury conjunction is in opposition to Jupiter (natural ruler of the 9th and ruler of the Ascendant) The ruler of the 5th is Venus in Placidus, or Mars in Equal houses so either way the ruler of the house of children is conjunct its opposite. That Venus/Mars and Pluto are in the eighth house of death and legacies show that death and transformation as well as battling (Mars/Venus) would be a prominent theme in this life.
One last thing: This chart is in a Bucket/Funnel formation with Jupiter in the third as the handle/nozzle. This shows that all of his planets release in Jupiter in Aries in the third. This gives you the warrior (Aries) of principles (Jupiter) who uses his mind and communications (third house) as his weapon of choice. That Jupiter is the ruler of the Ascendant and ruler of the 3rd Placidus (4th Equal houses) further emphasizes this theme.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Ouranos

ADB picked an excellent chart to spark comments and push one into the history of his complex motives. Notable at age 7 was his secondary prog asc. (Solar arc in RA) conjunct his natal Chiron..a wounding of one's sense of self. Many other astro-indicators at age 7: Transiting Nept and Jupiter conj his Mc that year; Transiting PL conj his natal Mars in the traditional "house of death"; secondary progressed Sun conj natal Neptune which heightend his sensitivity to loss of his mother perhaps depositing a bit of mistrust of the world.  
Mr Geldof's Moon in rough, ready, expansive Sagg and his strong 9th house placements provide him with a global outlook. His hasty Jupiter is impatient but can put things together quickly with the trine to his outspoken, salesman's Moon.  
I've often found that people with Uran in 7th find people seem to be leaving them, sometimes suddenly. With his 7th angular Uran connected to a very complicated T-square involving Saturn I imagine he is not a easy person to get on with. But for someone willing to take the roller-coaster ride there will be little boredom, and little stability. He is a truly intriging and fascinating individual and is appropriately reflected in his navtivity. Wish I had more time to delve into this chart.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Of interest in MR Geldof's chart is his astro-map which features Moon, Ven, Mars, and Pluto lines all coming together in NoEast Africa. His Uran&Nept lines cross in West Africa and his Node/Moon crossing just East of Johannesburg promises him significant connections and worthwhile purpose in Africa.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User M

The chart is fairly interesting because of the stellium and special configurations in it...
We have Sun weak in Libra, Saturn strong there, Neptune and Mercury also there...Venus weak in Virgo..Problem is that Neptune, Saturn, Mercury are all combust being too close to the Sun..Only Saturn in Strong in Libra
We have the ruler of the chart, the sole retrograde and the funnel of the chart..
Additionally is the cardinal t-square between jupiter in aries, uranus in cancer and the sun in libra..with uranus as the apex..
As such the focal points of the chart are the stellium in libra in the 10th house..the funnel to chart ruler jupiter in the 4th house and rhe apex of the t-square with uranus in the seventh house..
Mercury rules the seventh house of the marriage partner and the tenth house of mother..it is combust and in conjunction to saturn..he should have not gotten married before his 28th year after the saturn return, because he did though, it did not work out, as it ruled the mother and the wife, being combust and with malefic saturn, it consumed both of them, the mother by death, the wife by suicide...
Jupiter is cut off from the rest of the chart, is retrograde and is one of the legs of a t-square, in the fourth house, which is where he will spend alot of time, in the home, raising his children, but this is squared by uranus in the seventh house, which shows a wayward wife who left him and the libra planets in the 10th house of career, which is what he devotes much of his time too..
The salesman in the chart is from the tight trine between jupiter as the chart ruler in aries to the moon in sagitarius, the salesman of the zodiac..
Uranus, apex of the t-square, in the seventh house of others, at a critical degree..shows the imblanced wife who left him to commit suicide and the constant pursuit for others..
The Sun with Neptune in Libra shows an extrmely compassionate soul who seeks to assist others, buy spends alot of time trying to figure out where the calling is...
The Stellium in Libra with Saturn thre shows what Saturn tests in Libra, its relationships and others..The failed marriage..the commitment to others..
Exalted Saturn in Libra, shows his talent and persuasive communication skills as it rules the 3rd house of communication

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Edwin Stuart

Bob Geldorf was born the same day as an old girlfriend of mine, the only difference being their ascendants. Hers was 22 Libra, putting her Libra planets in the 12th house. I knew her when she was 20-yrs-old but subsequently learned that she works as a university librarian (Sagittarius Moon ruling the 10th and Jupiter in Aries ruling the third but placed in the 6th house of work). In her case, Mars conjunct Venus in Virgo would help with the details of library work, but it's significant that she was also very musical and curious that her hobby is now playing Irish fiddle. Mars in positive aspect to Venus is often found in the charts of musicians, and Virgo is a busy, technique-oriented sign, so it's not surprising that she would like music with a lot of notes.  
As an aside, the music videos from Live 8 are available on AOL and my favorite is Mariah Carey's performance of "Make It Happen". She's an Aries with Mars in Taurus, giving her a strong voice. Another popular female singer with a powerful voice, Celine Dion, is also an Aries with her Mars in Taurus.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anonymous

I just did the chart for the London terrorist attack-first one was at 8:51 am...per BBC. Pluto at 22.35 Sag - the exact ascendant at Bob Geldof's birth.  
I have to wonder if the people responsible for that act are using an Astrologer?  
Any opinions on this?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Penelope

Hi Anonymous - Some thoughts on the London attack are being posted on the Tony Blair thread. Check it out.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

It is not necessary to know or use astrology in order to find oneself in alignment with the particular zeitgeist of a given moment in time. You are aligned with whether you are aware of it or not.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Misty Day, C.A.P.

Toying around with the Transneptunians and Midpoints, I found: Ar=Mer/Ur: General excitement...to give or bring something to the world. Ar=Ju/Ap: Fortune, success, honors, good luck in science. Ar=M/Ma: To give orders to many. To be commander over many. = Ad: To busy oneself with or at wreckage, ruins... Ar =Me/Vu: The public under the impact of a mighty idea, of significant news. Ar=Kr/Ap: Kernel formula for the "man who knows" Scientific celebrity with decorations (Sir Bob Geldof) and titles. The rising of authority in public. The public understands a matter. Ar=Pl/Vu: Mighty changes or transformations, which occur with great speed...rushed development. Ar=Mo/Ad: Dying populace. Crowded people. Stoic character. Dying or dead nations. (His work for Africa). Right next to Ar=Sa/Vu: Custody, to guard, to preserve, to fortify, to fix something. = Ad: To be put to a crucial test. Ar=NN/Ad: Connected with [others] through matters of death or mourning. Right next to Ar=Ap/Po: [Men] of the same mind and soul...companions of destiny. Fellow sufferers, comrades... spreading of ideas. = Ad: An exclusive circle of similar minded [friends and colleagues]. Right next to Ar=Asc/Ju: To benefit from the wealth and status of others. Ar=Me/Cu: Speech, music. Social entertainment. Po=Su/Ju: Great reason, good comprehension, wisdom.
Sun = 12 Libra: **Miners emerging from a deep well into the sunlight.** [This degree seems to have less to do with mines and more to do with "emerging" or passage from one state of being to another.] Experience of accomplishment and enjoyment/satisfaction in a job or task. <This degree can show up for children of poor or immigrant parents who mark the turning-point for the family towards freedom and success.> Saturn 7 Libra: **A person feeding chickens and protecting them from [other birds].** Control of natural forces by the higher intelligence. Taming the strong, uplifting the weak. Transmutation through service. Uranus 14 Cancer: **An older person facing the questions in the northeast.** Wisdom due to long experience. Intuitive, exact, courageous facing of spiritual questions. Noble, self-perpetuating strength arising from correct knowledge. MC 30 Libra: **Three dots of knowledge on a philosopher's head.** Benediction, consecration, chrism. Stabilizing initiation.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jacqui

With reference to whether the terroists are using astrology in planing their operations ,I can add to that conversation ,that Islam has a long and strong history with the arts and sciences of astrology.The Arabs kept astrology alive when the Roman empire fell and rescued astrological texts from the Romans and translated them from Latin to Arabic.The Arabs along with the Indians(Asian) also contributed to the growth of Astrology as a science through their reasearch . The great "House of Wisdom" housed and promoted the reasearch in all of the known sciences of that dayat the support and expense of the great Kaliphs. This institution helped to promote the translations of these texts and foster the growth of the astrologicial sciences.Abumasar a prolific writer and great astrologer of the 8th century ,came up with the theory of the of The Great Conjunctions and recorded how the conjunction of jupiter and saturn affected the state of world affairs. Astrologers today still refer to this (ie the curse of the presidents ) when Jupiter and Saturn are conjunct in an certain astrological element ,it has a certain effect on the heads of state. I would suspect that yes, they are guided now by the same stars that took them across the vast desert, and they may also view that those stars are steered by the hand of Allah / God.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

<b>Jacqui wrote: </b> "Abumasar a prolific writer and great astrologer of the 8th century ,came up with the theory of the of The Great Conjunctions and recorded how the conjunction of jupiter and saturn affected the state of world affairs. Astrologers today still refer to this (ie the curse of the presidents ) when Jupiter and Saturn are conjunct in an certain astrological element ,it has a certain effect on the heads of state."
With respect; that isn't entirely correct. The conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn was considered the conjunction of kings way before the eighth century. The Magi (who brought the gifts to the baby Jesus over 2000 years ago) were Chaldean astrologers of the highest order and the "Grand Conjunction" of Jupiter and Saturn in Pisces was the marker that let them know that the king of the Jews had been born.
Abumasar may have refined and expanded this idea but Jupiter/Saturn has been viewed as a conjunction with political implications for at least 2500 years or so.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 07.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Pat

1) 7 cardinal influences would give him the drive and energy: i) AC-ruler in cardinal sign, ii) moon-ruler in cardinal sign, iii) sun in cardinal sign, iv) Saturn, ruler of cardinal sign conjunct sun v) Saturn a cardinal ruler exalted, vi) sun-ruler conjunct cardinal ruler Mars, vii) cardinal sign influence expanded by Jupiter's presence in Aries. 6 fiery influences: AC, moon and their ruler in fire signs, sun-ruler conjunct fire-ruler and fire sign occupied by Jupiter would also add energy and drive. Sun conjunct Saturn and exalted Saturn in Saturnian house would give him commitment and organisational skills. Neptune would give him vision. Sun at midpoint of Saturn/Neptune would make him compassionate in a practical way. His unkempt appearance could be due to a combination of sun conjunct Neptune and Chiron conjunct AC as well as AC ruler in individualist sign that doesn't bow to others' expectations: AC-ruler Jupiter likes excessive freedom to do what it likes and occupies the sign most connected with appearance. An angular Uranus could contribute to a desire to be very individual, especially when it is at the apex of a T-square involving the sun and Jupiter. The missing leg of the grand cross is in the 1st house of the appearance. The combination of original, individual Uranus' influence and the high aggressive fire count is likely to have made him rebellious enough to become a punk rocker. 2) The high fire count and mutable sun-ruler and AC and angular Uranus would likely give him a low boredom threshhold as fire is thrill-seeking and mutable and air signs/planets like constant change. Sagittarius rising has a natural gift for selling things whether it be goods, ideas or themselves. His image is of someone direct and straight-talking because of AC-ruler Jupiter in blunt, aggressive Aries. However, he has the ability to be calculatingly persuasive in speech and communication because of communication planet Mercury conjunct practical Saturn in charming Libra. The outspoken tendencies versus the clever calculating tendencies are shown by Jupiter in Aries opposite Mercury/Saturn in Libra and he may veer from one extreme to the other. 3) The importance of his mother, wife and children are shown by the moon square the nodes. The karmic nodes tend not to favour planets they square and the moon is also in the 12th house of the unconscious indicating that the death of his mother has probably been a strong driving force in his life. To compensate for losing his nurturer he has tried to gain maximum control over nurturing. It is probably this that gives him the desire to eliminate hunger in the world and to have complete control over the care of his children. It's possible that his controlling tendencies drove his wife to seek freedom. Uranus in the 7th house indicates a tendency for partners who leave abruptly in one way or another.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 08.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Rob Gaydon

Bob the slob
(excuse my non-conventionality)

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 08.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Mariposa

1. I've observed Sag rising to be a little sloppy. I'm in conflict with this a little bit, because of the Libra stellium at the top of his chart, but I can certainly able to see how he appears sloppy.
2. Mercury conj Saturn in 10 in Libra doesn't mince words, nor does it cater to anyone.
3. Agreed on Uranus in 7 and Moon in 12 with reference to the deaths of his wife and mother, respectively. 5th house ruler is nicely placed in Aries, indicating concern for infants.  
He is a natural father and advocate.
And I would like to ask the poster who presents Virgo as "slutty" to defend his/her position.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 08.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

The poster said: Virgo CAN be a bit slutty. Not that Virgos overall were slutty.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 08.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

sun con neptune -empathy - also mercury con saturn = precise and dutiful. mercury con saturn would develop articulate ability -scary otherwise, special effort. the women? moon square venus, felt bad. moon sagittarius, felt philosophical and venus conjunct mars - consolation. sun conjunct jupiter not given to moderation. what a goodish life he got!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 10.07.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

One commentator asks: "And I would like to ask the poster who presents Virgo as "slutty" to defend his/her position." Another responds: "The poster said: Virgo CAN be a bit slutty. Not that Virgos overall were slutty."
The truth is any statement like that is indefensible. It is akin to the general foolishness of Sun-sign astrology from which this website is a delightful departure. "Slutty" as a personality trait is a non-defined term and,like beauty, rests in the eye of the beholder. Can Virgo have compulsive, low-discrimination lustful appetites? Yes, and so may any of the other 12 zodiac signs. It is the complex of natal placements combined with the current cosmic condition that signifies discretion or the lack thereof.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

As one of the largest astrology portals WWW.ASTRO.COM offers a lot of free features on the subject. With high-quality horoscope interpretations by the world's leading astrologers Liz Greene, Robert Hand and other authors, many free horoscopes and extensive information on astrology for beginners and professionals, www.astro.com is the first address for astrology on the web.
Homepage - Free Horoscopes - Astrodienst Onlineshop - Astrology Knowledge - Ephemeris - Authors and Staff - My Astro - Direct Atlas query - Sitemap - FAQ - Forum - Contact Astrodienst