Uranus13Aries33'52"r4n43
    Neptune4Pisces51'40"r10s25
    Pluto11Capricorn23'14"20s40
    TrueNode19Libra8'26"7s30
    Chiron13Pisces20'20"r1s58
    Explanations of the symbols
    Chart of the moment
| My Astro | Forum | FAQ
Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 01.11.2014 at 08:07 [UT]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Andy Kaufman (Read 141 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Andy Kaufman
« on: 10.10.2000 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Andy Kaufman, born 17 January 1949 at 6:03 PM in Jamaica NY

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

Where did Kaufman get his drive to keep probing for new depths in comedy? In 1982-1983, he was kicked off of Saturday Night Live and Taxi, and exiled from the Transcendental Meditation movement that was so dear to him. It would take more than a single transit to take one down so fast. What were the astrological factors and how could he have used them more wisely?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Andy Kaufman
« Reply #1 - on: 06.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Chrissy

It is very clear to me that Andy was chosen to enlighten us in ways that some might never understand. His soul was completely pure. It was the imperfection around him that ended up destroying him. Andy trusted and believed in the things that would eventually turn their backs on him. In his last days, Andy suffered more from a broken heart than cancer. Sweet Andy was an angel on earth... He has wings now... I continue to watch the heavens for a glimpse of those wide sparkling blue eyes..

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Lana

Mercury in Aquarius opposing Pluto (also conj. Asc) in Leo and trines Neptune in Libra. All 3 planets connected by very close aspects. This structure defines his communication strategy. Pluto gives a desire to probe and explore, and experiment.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 05.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User David Hawthorne

Using the Systems' Approach to Vedic Astrology, I find the following. In October 1980, Andy went into his Mars main period and Mars sub period, his Raj Yoga planet - representing success in his career. However, in February 1981, he entered his Rahu sub period causing unexpected events and insatiable desires in his career. The sub period changed to Jupiter in March 1982, and was followed by the Saturn sub period in February 1983. For the Cancer rising sign, all three - Rahu, Jupiter, and Saturn, are functional malefic planets.  
Here he was, with the Mars (Raj Yoga) main period running as the river bed, giving success in his career, but with three functional malefic sub periods in a row - running from February 1981 through April 1984.  
The damage is connected with the positions of these planets and their mooltrikona signs: Rahu, posited in the tenth house of career, Jupiter in the sixth house of enemies, disputes, etc., and Saturn bringing obstructions into the second house of status in life.  
His death was brought about by the afflictions that took place during these sub periods; coupled with the Ketu affliction to the fourth house (lungs), and the aspect of Saturn (cancer) to the fourth house.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 04.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Sylvia Tobias

Pluto conjunct the Ascendant and opposing his Mercury/Mars conjunction could be at least one explanation of his probing for new depths in comedy. The sesquiquadrate of Uranus to his Mars and quincunx his Sun could be responsible for his "off-the-wall" performances. This was emphasized by the placement of Mercury and Mars in the sign of Aquarius.  
In 1982-1983, Uranus in Sagittarius was squaring his Moon/Saturn conjunction in Virgo in the 1st house. Saturn transiting Libra conjoined his 3rd house Neptune and squared his Venus and Jupiter in Capricorn. Neptune in Sagittarius, transiting his 5th house, was opposing his Uranus in the 11th house. Pluto, in Libra, was transiting his 3rd house and was semisquare his Moon/Saturn conjunction in Virgo. These transits contributed to the failure of the public to embrace his act and behavior. People were more critical of him at that time than they might have been at some other point.  
I believe these transits should have been used to bring his comedy more into the mainstream. He should have focused on creativity and sensitivity in his work while making sure his act would be acceptable to the general public. Psychotherapy would also have been helpful at that time. His behavior and comedy may have been influenced by some deep-seated problems from his childhood or early adulthood. Transcendental Meditation would have been beneficial, but his behavior would have to have fit within the bounds of that movement. His failure to listen to the messages given to him by the cosmos probably contributed to his physical demise as well as his professional difficulties.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 03.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User L.E Grac

Looking At the Outer planets from early 82-84 most importantly saturn conjt neptune sq Jupiter and uranus 4th conjt Chiron sq natal saturn and moon for prolonged period. Pluto conjoins the I.C. rocks the very foundation of our being which in my own experience allows others to look at our own being and take advantage of our weakness in a cruel or unusual way depending on other aspects depends how hard it hits us. I Andy's case squre sun 6th is also physical. The conjt squres are most profound First Pluto/Saturn at the I.C. Sq Sun in 83 added with Jupiter/Uranus conjt Chiron really is mind screw to deal with. His creative genius being shaken up and going in all directions with others not knowing what to think added mystery to others with Andy thinking he was in control. Chiron, from my own experience only confuses the minds senses because we just can't grasp what it is we are experiencing until the air clears, so to speak. From a natal point of view Andy had Uranus in it's 11th with merc in the 7th. He had to get his originality out. In his childhood he spent a lot of time dreaming up his act alone, this is evident buy Saturn conjt moon in 2nd.He was able to use it with merc in 7th in Aquarius. Had to communicate.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 02.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jackie Slevin

Deep probing for comedy: Mercury opposite Pluto = "a smart mouth comes from a smart mind." He also had Mercury in mutual reception with Saturn which serves as a great facilitator for using communication with form and timing. A tight grand trine in earth helped Kaufman to put his money where his mouth was.  
In Placidus houses, the ruler of his 9th house of religion is 29 degrees, 29 is always a crisis degree wherever it falls, IMHO. Aries is intercepted in this house and Mars, ruler of Aries and therefore co-ruler of the 9th, opposes Pluto. Mars opposite Pluto raises a red flag wherever it appears, rather like a Darth Vader aspect. Kaufman also had the two planets ruling religion and anything else "out there," namely Jupiter and Neptune, squaring each other, which added to his conflicting issues surrounding religion; he was deeply attracted to it with the Jupiter and Neptune but insisted on controlling it his way with the Mars opposite Pluto. Would anyone want Darth Vader advising them on spiritual matters?? Read the papers and the history books and you'll see what I mean when such powers collide.  
What else brought him down? In Placidus, the ruler of his 5th house of performing and an audience / following is also ruled by Jupiter which again squares Neptune and quincunxes Pluto. Chiron also conjoins this cusp. All sure fire indications of losing one's boundaries, which he definitely did with his audiences; he simply didn't respect them. His Sun is in the exalted degree of Mars in the 6th house; a placement of an indefatigable worker with insatiable drive, but he used this energy to his detriment. Sun quincunx Uranus is no picnic in terms of stability. Uranus rules his 7th house so relationships and dealings with agents, etc. must have been particularly hard for him. In the same Capricorn manner that he organized a bus to take 2800 out for refreshments after a concert, so he could have harnessed his awesome energy to better serve himself and his fans. With the angular Mars opposite angular Pluto, he could have turned the "control freak" energy into executive ability and been another star of comedy like Alan King and Rodney Dangerfield, who each host their own comedy festivals that launch new talent. But the universe had other plans for him..

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 01.12.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User rachel bronson

secondary progression of sun opposing his natal saturn (7th/1st) could have triggered death. however, at the point he became 18-19, his sun would have conjuncted by progression natal mercury and opposed natal pluto. i would guess that he started a habit at this point in time which could lead to death if not otherwise modified.  
however, i've also found that a lot depends on how the ingress planets impact the natal chart -- and the tertiary activity as well. given the lack of activity in his natal chart, it is essential to examine how the tertiary progressions impact both natal and secondary.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 30.11.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Georgia Stathis

I think it was his Pluto Mars opposition on the angle, squaring his Midheaven. I also think being a Capricorn didn't hurt either since they CAN have pretty dry senses of humor. I think it is interesting that as Saturn, the ruler of Capricorn, is stationing at his chart at the Midheaven and with Jupiter on the other side of the MC just going direct, too, that this film is so big, and, will, according to many authorities bring Carey an academy award.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 29.11.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Lori Ross

I think the drive to probe depths was the Pluto rising in Leo, for obvious reasons. This is also why he never married, rising Pluto, I learned that people with that planet in the first house often can't cope with tying themselves to one person, evolution is a strong need and they evolve through relationships, and probably also grow bored easily, because of the Scorpionic influence that Pluto is, Scorpio having many transformations .. and often the partners cannot keep up with that. I have a close male friend who's a first house Pluto and he just runs through relationships, and none of them stick for long. He's a Scorpio Sun too so he just outgrows all his girlfriends, or is never even serious about them to begin with. my sister is also a first house Pluto, but she did marry, and stayed that way. She happens to have a strong Cancer influence in her chart, much more family oriented of course.  
Scorpio is known for loyalty ? Well, if they want to be .. but it is a decision for them .. otherwise, forget it if you cannot keep up with them, they are easily bored !  
I'm a student of astrology, and this comment was not exactly earth-shaking but just what I knew from taking a quick look.  
also, the Pluto in Leo boosted the rising sign Leo, and Leo has to do with 5th house and creativity, and the probing of the new comedy depths. Jupiter is in the 6th house indicating humor connected to work.  
Well, I've covered a few obvious points here ! Smiley

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 30.11.2000 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Shelly

Dear Lois,  
Andy did not die from lung cancer. It was a rare brain cancer, I believe. I know he had a brain tumor. Double check it, and I'll call Bob Zmuda, who is born Dec 12, 1949. I don't remember where, but I can find out.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 15.10.2001 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

Check out the centaur asteroid Pholus which is conjunct Andy Kaufman's Sun. So far this asteroid has said to correspond with a kind of 'possession'. I once heard David Lettermen say that Andy had a kind of look in his eyes that gave him the impression that 'someone else' was driving. The literature on the mythical centaur Pholus also has some interesting correspondences to Andy's life, especially his fascination with the faith healers.  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 22.05.2003 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Paula

His drive would be from Pluto in his first house on his rising sign of Leo. I would think that his 1st saturn return had an affect. Saturn sits in his first house conjunct his moon. He must have felt a real frustration that he could not make others understand him.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 13.12.2003 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User estebon duarte

Pluto rising in Leo gives Kaufman a darker side, even though he retains a loud personable character. Opposed Mercury and Mars in Aquarius his projection was always communicating (merc.) through innovative, original,(Aquarius) and intense (mars) mannerisms. A deeper understanding and transformation of this projection takes place with Pluto's involvement.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 13.01.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Huey Williams

Andy Kaufman actually faked his death. Since many celebrities have been rumored to fake their deaths, Andy saw it as a challenge to really pull it off. The Orange County Weekly has researched the subject in great detail. Article: http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/05/18/the-infante.php

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 31.03.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

I was a bit puzzled, jamaica is written as birthplace, but its got the lat and long for New York?

IP Logged
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

« Reply #16 - on: 31.03.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astro-Databank staff member
Andy Kaufman was born in Jamaica, Queens, <strong>New York</strong>. Please see [was_link]Andy Kaufman's birth data[/was_link].  
Web Admin

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 31.03.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Dawn Woodhouse

Vedic perspective:
1964 -1970 Sun Dasa 1970 - 1980 Moon Dasa 1980 - 1987 Mars Dasa
Oct 1980 Mars Mars Feb 1981 Mars Rahu March 1982 Mars Jupiter Feb 1983 Mars Saturn April 1984 Mars Mercury
Interesting for the amount of problematic combinations. Most planets are positioned with planets they are uncomfortable with as they are enemy planets.  
What is interesting is that an opposite example, quite rare, exists on this forum, a chart in which NO planet exists with an enemy planet (president george bush).
I have posted in that forum on so I will not comment further, only to say GWB has Saturn Mercury Venus together who are mutual friends, and Moon with Jupiter. Other than the aspect from Saturn to the Ascendant Lord Moon and 9th Lord Jupiter theres no connection between the two groups.
In vedic, Saturn Venus Mercury are friends. Sun Moon Jupiter Mars are the other group of friends.  
Hence in Kaufmans chart we see, Mars with Mercury, a really testing combination which upsets both Mars and Mercury; Venus with Jupiter, good financially but troublesome, and Saturn with the Moon. Basically all quite horrible in different ways.
Venus Jupiter will give some good effects, but all of those combinations are unhelpful for health. Vedic is a case by case basic, and this will depend on house and sign placements, but in Kaufmans case it is so. Mercury rules the 3rd house; lungs, and its affliction by Mars and placement in a Saturnian sign does not help.
Of course, Mars is exalted and a powerful planet for Cancer ascendants, and no doubt played a part in his elevation. Jupiter is also placed in its own sign Sagittarius, but outside its Moolitrikona degrees.
Another feature of extreme difficulty is the mutual exchange (parivatana yoga) between the second and seventh houses, Sun and Saturn; two maraka or death like houses.
 (Feb 1983 Mars Saturn) In fact it was in the subperiod of Saturn in Mars dasa, that he was diagnosed lung cancer which proved fatal in April 1984, during the Mars Mercury period, which we have already seen is the cause of the lung difficulty.
At a guess, Kaufmann took up TM during the Sun Dasa, lord of maraka house in another maraka, and was dropped from TM during Mars Saturn.
Certainly the effect of Sun Mars Mercury together in Capricorn opposite Pluto/ Ascendant would give him a very sharp wit, and no doubt he would be quite aggressive. It would be quite obvious to the world, as it involves the Asc. Sun Mars Pluto involving Mercury is very sharp. And the Saturn Moon combination would restrict his empathy with others.
The chart is quite intriging from the point of view of examining how the previously mentioned combinations of enemy planets play out. Mars also quincunx's the second house containing Saturn Moon, thereby the Mars energy falls upon both of its most inimicable planets, Mercury AND Saturn.
The AKaufmann chart is an interesting example, of someone, without having planets debilitated, yet the combinations are all rather unfortunate, therefore no planet is giving of its best, as its surroundings are destructive to the manifestation of its positive energies.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 21.10.2005 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Andy Kauffman died of lung cancer on May 16, 1984. It was especially ironic because he didn't drink and had never smoked.  
The first symptoms showed up as a nagging cough which his family and friends expressed concern about at a Thanksgiving dinner in 1983.  
This website gives some excellent details about Kauffman's life and untimely death.  
http://andykaufman.jvlnet.com/final.htm

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 24.01.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carol

Jim Lewis, the late great astrologer who created Astrocartography, said: "Planets and angles are what is physically real in astrology (you can see them) and therefore what has the strongest effects. And Michel and Francois Gauguelin's highly respected, scientific studies substantiated this in spades.
Andy Kaufmann's chart is also a great example of this principle with the Opposition of Mars and Pluto across the Asc./Desc. line. The thing Andy was most famous for in his comedy was his gutsy originality, innovation, and rebelliousness (Mars in Aquarius, closely conjunct the Desc., is the planet closest of all to an angle).  
The other part of this Opposition equation is Pluto in Leo Conjunct his Asc., and no matter how dark and close to the edge (Pluto) his comedy act (Leo) got, or how angry or hostile (Mars) the audience (Leo) became, he never backed down from pushing the envelope (Aquarius) of the status quo, but rather, seemed to thrive on this strange (Aquarius) tug of war (Opposition) between him and his audience (Mars/Pluto).
And just one more thing: Isn't it interesting that Jim Carey, who was reported to have seemed possessed by Andy's spirit in the making of the movie, was born on the same day as Andy, January 17th, 13 years apart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

As one of the largest astrology portals WWW.ASTRO.COM offers a lot of free features on the subject. With high-quality horoscope interpretations by the world's leading astrologers Liz Greene, Robert Hand and other authors, many free horoscopes and extensive information on astrology for beginners and professionals, www.astro.com is the first address for astrology on the web.
Homepage - Free Horoscopes - Astrodienst Onlineshop - Astrology Knowledge - Ephemeris - Authors and Staff - My Astro - Direct Atlas query - Sitemap - FAQ - Forum - Contact Astrodienst