Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 24.07.2014 at 17:58 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Sylvia Plath (Read 1302 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Sylvia Plath
« on: 09.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

Discussion about
Sylvia Plath, born 27 October 1932 at 2:10 PM in Boston MA

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

Valentine's Day seems like a good time to do some synastry. Let's examine the charts of a famous pair of modern star-crossed lovers, Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, whose poems often speak of their love and their torment. Plath's life ended in suicide, with a silent Hughes looking like the villain for many years. A critique of his "Birthday Letters" by Katha Pollitt in the March 1, 1998 edition of the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/03/01/reviews/980301.01pollitt.html) sums up last book this way: "Here, we are to believe, is The Truth About Sylvia, which can be summarized as: she was beautiful, brilliant, violent, crazy, doomed; I loved her, I did my best to make her happy, but she was obsessed with her dead father, and it killed her." From examining their charts, we might be able to get a glimpse of some of the complex needs that drove them to act as they did.  
In order to do a complete synastry reading, we must first examine the charts individually. You might want to keep these questions in mind when you interpret their charts:
  • What does each chart tell us about the kind of relationship each poet would be drawn to? What does each person need and want in a partner? In some of Plath's poetry she depicts her husband as cold and domineering man who stifled her creativity. Does this view of her husband show up in her natal chart?
  • Where in Plath's chart might you see the astrological indicator of her suicide at a young age? From an astrological point of view, what might have driven her to attempt suicide and ultimately take her own life? Where does the death of her father and its impact on her show up in her chart?
  • What in their charts speaks of their passionate love and her mournful death? Where in his chart might you see the feminist outcry accusing him of contributing to her suicide? Where in the chart might you see his long silence on his relationships and his ultimate need to offer his perspective late in his life?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Sylvia Plath
« Reply #1 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User wayne penner

It is hard to interpret a chart like this because I do not have a sense of the depth of her brilliance, simply a layman's understanding of her poetry.
She loved the black, the blackness of black, and in her writing actually reminds me of her fellow Scorpio and suicide (by alcohol at the age of 39) Dylan Thomas, who also wrote of "bible black". How black does it get? (read Thomas' brilliant "Under Milk Wood" for an enlightenment). Both Thomas and Sylvia both have Sun at 4 Scorpio.
All Scorpio people consider death daily, if not hourly. Scorpio has no fear of death, but sometimes seems to have an obsession with it, as if all that is final with existence permeates their value system.
So her wonderful gift of poetry continually explores death from every angle you could think of - "Last Words", "Across the River" or "Getting there".
I love the immensely powerful Mars in Leo square the Scorpio Mercury. That is a person who will do and say as she wishes and couldn't give a sod what you or I think about it. It contributed to her mental breakdown unfortunately, but you would admire the courage with which she faced that experience.
I expect she was seriously depressed for most of her life. It is hard to find a joyous line in her writing anyway. As C E O Carter pointed out, Venus Saturn aspects are common in the charts of suicide, even the trine, especially of course with Saturn in 12. Saturn is also square Sol, which is responsible for the early death of her father; always in one way or another that square separates the native from the father.
I always get a bit concerned with Luna having no aspects at all, and of course especially in this case with Moon in the 8th, compounding the Scorpio factor. This seems to me a serious affliction and one that requires considerable emotional ballast to countermand and Sylvia clearly did not have this.
It is a beautiful chart though - Jupiter Neptune in 7th shows an almost mystical belief in others, and by translation the world, a belief that was probably not reciprocated .  
"I have no wit, I have no words, no tears; My heart within me like a stone Is numbed too much for hopes or fears; Look right, look left, I dwell alone; I lift mine eyes, but dimmed with grief No everlasting hills I see; My life is like the falling leaf; O Jesus, quicken me."

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Marie

Looking at the chart there is a peregrine Moon. Her emotions were tied into everything she did due to childhood restrictions on both the part of mom and dad. Astro gives a wide trine to Saturn from the Moon which is where I feel she re-wrote her childhood, the obsession with her father after his passing away. Mercury and Jupiter are the parental rules. Jupiter conjunct Neptune, Venus conjunct Jupiter. Jupiter seems to be the middle man for her perfectionism and high idealistic nature. She would then go on to produce works that befit his nature but veiled in a way that no one really knew the real Syliva as she was trying to search within for her lost self. Mercury 9th house disposted by Pluto, Pluto oppose Saturn, Saturn square Sun. There is a square from Mercury to Mars and her self worth profile takes on the color of her mother and idealism of her father, the trine from mercury to her 5th house Pluto Cancer.  
I was not sure how the Mercury fit in but after reading her words it placed the Mercury square Mars precisely when she was talking about her mother and trying to escape the negative feelings from childhood inside, "hot itchy hands".
Her mother became the villan, her father became the Neptunian god. There were restrictions in her mindset during childhood produced from her father causing her creative genius to go underground to dig deep into the recesses of her mind during childhood. Father may have pushed so hard not allowing her to feel her emotional vulnerablity. She may have gotten the message early on that as long as she was beautiful and balanced mentally she was rewarded with monetary compensation but if she showed any kind of emotions rewards were with held. She may have transfered her villanization onto her mother because the control, dominant male father was now gone and she needed him. In doing so she would grow to hate other men and her own husband due to the fact she felt abandoned by her father. Mom might also have blamed hardship on the father after he died, exacerbating the situation. Establishing her self worth profile.  
Boundaries were not established within the emotional context and she set out to find and establish those boundaries but to no avail. Neptune 7th, intercepted in the first house disposited by Uranus, so her whole personality was established reaching, searching for the limitless connection of herself to the world around her through her personal relationships with others but in creative strange ways.
This woman was ethereal and needed someone to hold her to the ground, bring her down to earth, establish that deep connection between body and spirit through her mental recesses.. Hughes did this for her until the day he had an affair with a young lady. Again replaying the Saturn oppose Pluto, Saturn square Sun issue with her father, the loss that she was unable to handle. She could not idealize the situation so she gave in to it through suicide. Venus disposits 8th house, Saturn disposits 11,12 house. Bottom line, she idealized her father, she had a love affair in her mind with her dad as her version of him was clouded after the loss. No one could live up to him but no one could live up to the idealization and this wound would be established over again until she learned to let go. Mercury oppose Chiron.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jane

Sylvia has two ego planets (Sun and Moon)weakly aspected which must severely undermine her ego-structure. Additionally she has Sun and Moon in the 8th house deepening the Scorpio qualities. Plus Pluto in the 5th. She also has a deep need for security (fixed aspect structure.
She has Mars in Leo so a Leo man embodies her masculine needs. However, Ted has a very Charismatic first house(Jupiter and Pluto) which in addition to his Leo Sun must have attracted admirers lie flies to a honeypot. Sylvia's insecure and jealous tendencies would have been unable to cope with this.
However, his Sun is on the IC so he can be loyal and a home-lover. With Saturn on the DC this is where she sees his coldness. However, she has Sun square Saturn so she will expect this in a man.
Her strong 7th house means her relationship is very important to her. However, if she had lived long enough she could have used her considerable talent (Neptune conjunct S. Node) to develop her own individuality and creativity (N. Node Pisces in 1st house).
She had conflicting needs - a man who would be her support (Saturn) and a passionate lover (Pluto in 5th). A mentor and father-figure as a friend might have given her an anchor.
They did complement each other. She has most of her planets on the You side and he has his on the I side. (filling in each others gaps).
They could have had a beautiful relationship without the jealousy. He has Moon, Pluto and Mercury in a talent triangle. She has Venus, Pluto and Mercury in a talent triangle. Beautiful music.
He also had his vulnerable side. Open 3rd quadrant.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User cynthia novak

I read the Bell Jar 30-some years ago, along with others of her poems. I still remember the intense darkness and brilliant way she pulled me down into the basement while she stacked the bricks around her. her work is strangely intoxicating and seductive as she pulls into and away from death. If you've ever known someone whohas this pattern, you know that they feel that are pulled toward something.
That said, as an astrologer looking at the chart above of course you see all those lovely trines! As Wayne noted, the moon is in the 8th.
From a Vedic perspective, Saturn rules the 1st house and is in the 12th of endings. The NN in the 1st. The NN or Rahu is about compulsion and addiction. With the placement, I suspect that she is very self absorbed. Her Moon in the 8th with Venus, perhaps the notion of love is intoxicating but the fears as well. The 8th is the house of LIFE and death in Vedic.  
But look at that Jupiter conjoined the SN or Ketu. The nodes reflect the nature of the planets next to them in the Vedic system. The destiny is in deed to write, Jupiter, but they are also in the 7th house of marriage, so writing is stimulated by the marriage and of course, she literally marries a writer.
Where is the depression? The Moon rules the 6th of on-going health matters. The Moon lives in the 8th house. As I recall, her first suicide attempt was around puberty, she had just had her second child. This woman likely had huge hormonal depression. We now call it post-partum depression and know that hormone swings are associated with fears and obsessions.
At the time of her death, she was at the very end of the HH or Rahu master cycle. Sure looks like her depression had a 1st house, physcial basis. Moon and Venus in the 8th suggest that it is associated with "female" health issues.
Why implicate he husband in her suicide? How better to punish someone for leaving you?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

Ceres - 20 Cap
Juno - 8 Lib
Vesta - 5 Gem Rx
Pallas - 0 Cap
Bienor - 27 Aqu Rx
Orcus - 29 Tau Rx

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Penelope

There are several Yod configurations to be considered:
Hughes MC (23Aqu20)forms a Yod with Plath's Venus (23Vir39)/Pluto (23Can27Rx) sextile, which falls in her 12th house. His Sun is also the midpoint of the sextile and conjuncts her Mars in the 6th.  
There is another Yod formed by his Mars (22Gem39) in the 12th sextile her Uranus (21Ari53Rx) in the 2nd, inconjunct her Mercury (21Sco28) in the 9th.
She also has a natal Yod including the Venus (7th)in sextile to Mercury (9th)and Uranus (2nd)inconjunct both (although I know that Wayne will consider the orb too wide between Venus and Uranus - which is just under 2.5 degrees), which was activated by his Mars as noted in the paragraph just prior to this one.
The sexual dynamic between the two is incredibly strong and the battle of wills must have been horrendous - lots of battles with the attendant kissing and making up. Her health likely suffered enormously because of these aspects. Not only the psychological, but physiologically. Because the 6th also rules work, she likely struggled to actually write at all.
However, the dynamic of the relationship kept both of them (I would say) working towards a solution to resolve the tensions that the Yods were creating. These tensions likely actually forged her creativity and allowed her to give a voice to her emotions. He was her muse.
I read the Bell Jar years and years ago, but I am not really very familiar with her work or their relationship. I do recall a poem of hers that I read that was written about her pregnancy where the letters of the word "pregnant" began each line of the poem.
Wayne's choice was lovely - thanks for sharing it.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Bronwyn Elko

1. Plath's chart indicates impossibly romantic/idealistiic aspirations in all of her relationships: Neptune/Jupiter in the 7th, Sagittarius on the 11th. The yearning for a "perfect" marriage combined with a heightened moralism usually fuels hyper-criticism toward one's self and others: Venus with Jupiter and Neptune in Virgo in the 7th, ruled by Mercury in Mars/Pluto ruled Scorpio, square vindictive and scrappy Mars. Plath also had a history of tempestuous relationships with friends, editors, critics and writers. (Mars also rules the 3rd house of writing.) Plath's description of her father as cold and domineering is seen via her Scorpio Sun square Saturn, and Saturn opposite Sun ruler Pluto. This signature denotes enormous power struggles, control issues, the struggle for self-worth, confidence and authority. When Saturn squares the Sun, the solar principle must fight the negative legacy of paternalsim, defy the critical father principle (inner as well as outer) in order to shine (Sun) as an individual. It is also indicative of a hypercritical superego whereby the person is constantly battling inner, degrading demons. Plath suffered tremendous self-doubt which no amount of recognition could assuage. This self-doubt fueled her dark obsession with writing as a process of self discovery and transformation (Mars rules the 3rd, semi-sextile Pluto).  
2. Indicators of suicide are prolific: unaspected Moon in the 8th (death felt like "home" (Moon) to Plath; she killed herself at home), and Saturn on the 12th house cusp is often linked to those who suffer severe depression at some point. Pluto opposite Saturn intensifies the urge to explore death, an innate fascination with profound issues. Venus in a grand trine with Saturn and Chiron also binds the love principle to a sense of perpetual woundedness, a loss of love and security. True to Saturn's ability to transform irritating grains of sand into pearls, however, is evident by Plath's diamond like prose. Her poetry is at its best when she writes of death using stark, lucid images. (Saturn) The impact of the death of her father is shown everywhere in the chart, via the Mars/Venus aspects ruling the IC/MC axis, the 8th house cusps, her Sun square Saturn, Saturn ruling the Ascendant, Moon in the 8th. Plath's life and her work all reflect a soul striving to forge an identity and philosophy (Sun in the 9th) from the transformative power (Scorpio) of the death experience in early life (Moon/8th, ruled by Venus trine Saturn/Chiron).
3. Passionate love between their charts is shown by Hughes Venus conjoined Plath's Moon, his Sun conjoined her Mars, his Mars square her Venus. Hughes Virgo Mercury conjoins Plath's Venus, which suggests that they greatly inspired each other's work. These two must have chatted away many nights on esoteric topics (Neptune in Virgo), read constantly to each other. Hughes Moon in Taurus opposite her Mercury and square her Mars, indicates the potential for lots of bickering and fighting. Plath's Aquarius Ascendant falling in Hughes 8th house suggests her sudden death would affect him personally for years to come. With angular Saturn in the 7th square angular Venus, Hughes was by nature reticient to discuss his marriage with anyone. However, Jupiter in the lst usually bounds onto life's stage to have their say at some point. The wide grand Cardinal cross involving Venus, Uranus, Jupiter and Saturn all point to confronting a crisis regarding the truth about his relationships, also his attack by feminists. Aquarius on Hughes 8th house suggests revelations coming through the death of partners. Hughes probably brooded on Plath's tragic fate for much of his life. His Chiron/Moon conjunction in Taurus square his Sun, suggests Hughes search for sensual love and beauty was tinted by wounded expectations of finding a woman who was both lover and mother.
Anyone wishing to read my astro-blog may go to: geocosmicobserver.blogspot.com/

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Rob Gaydon

Richard Jeffries (spelling correct?) was Scorpio.
I read a poem by him about lying on his back on a hill and linking his heartbeat to the rhythm of life.
It knew of the interface between the body and what might be called the world.
Two Scorpios I have known had moon in virgo and a fire sign rising. The moon or venus in virgo is neurotic. The scorpio adds obsession.
Both my scoipios had addictive personality. One (a female) had done heavy drugs and considered herself gay. The other had a relationship with smoking and gambling on horses. Both had a religious thing.
I wonder is the co-star of "Kissing Jessica Stein" scorpion
My father died after attempted suicide. He was moon in scorpio. But he had mercury exactly conjunct venus (in Leo) exactly square mars in scorpio. I reckon it is a mars/leo/scorpio/sun thing.
I have a very low opinion of suiciders. Not because I see suicide as a crime but because of the seeming celebration of lack of intellectuality.
I guess suiciders have not known love.
Substance use and religion seem to play a part.
The narcissism of and druginess of the 3 suicidals I have met made me feel sick. Their relation to the emotion of others I sensed as brutal. They can't live and let live. Their disparaging hateful laughter made me think "This is.. intelligence?".
Someone once said to me of one such person "She's lonely". My response was that were I to have such an attitude I also would be 'lonely'.
I am guessing Paula wants us to compare Sylvia's chart with Jacques Chirac's (the two births being only a month apart).

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

Actually, I think ADB wants us to compare Plath's chart with that of Hughes - which is also available on the site.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

However - what a difference a month makes.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 10.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Paula R. Gassmann, Moderator

To Wayne: Your choice of poetry to emphasize your point was lovely.
To Rob: Great observation about Plath and Chirac being born a month apart. If you have a comparison, please voice it, but the goal here is to look at Plath and Hughes, both individually and in synastry.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

Sylvia's scene for suicide I suggest is reflected in saturn (morality) 's being at the 12th house. I see the 12th as the house of deat
Pluto etc. 's being associated with death I always question.
The chart has pluto Rx in Cancer, opposite saturn and the first body following the IC (in Gemini).
Saturn trines chiron and (loosely) neptune (gas). Neptune was the first body to be aspected in progression by a moon (a few months after her birth) in libra.
I haven't read The Bell Jar". From what I remember of high school chemistry a bell jar is a large bottle where experiments involving the mixture of gases are made.
Sylvia takes Ted's papers (IC gemini trine moon in libra) to the garden and burns (pluto = transsuubstantiation) them. Sylvia takes milk and cookies to her children and puts them to sleep. Sylvia goes to place her head in an oven..
Through mars the head associated with the genitals. Leo I reckon associates with euphoria. After pride, the potential for fall; after euphoria the potential for delusion (substance use can be banal as a coffee).
'Libido', 'food' and sexual role.  
Did she see her uterus as the bell jar of a relationship - the other partner to which as it happened was sun in leo.
But does a suicidal mother care for her children?
There is the illogic of using as a murder-weapon against oneself as a mother a machine usable for the production of cookies.
It might be significant that we have here a scorpio born around the time of the discovery of pluto.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

It would be good to view via this page the progressed positions for Sylvia (with transits) for 25 feb '56

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

I have just seen that at the time of meeting of Sylvia with Ted her progressed moon's node was near to exact square her natal MC (from the birthtime given on this page).

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

.. and the moon's node transiited Sylvia's natal MC just under one week before their meeting.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Joe

Vedic chart-
The centrality of her father's death and the impact it had on her seems to show pretty clearly in the condition of the house and significator associated with father. Sun is debilitated and malefically aspected by Saturn, Mars and Rahu. The 9th house has a debilitated lord Venus 12 houses away (indicating loss) in the house of death and loss. Also, there is a very difficult mutual exchange between the 8th and 9th houses which further cements the connection between death, loss and sorrow (the 8th) and 9th (father, as well as good fortune, faith, etc.).
He fits her 7th house in that she looks for a partner with Leo qualities and Jupiter qualities. He has Leo Sun and Jupiter in the 1st house.
His chart shows very difficult relationships with Saturn occupying 7th house. This is also commonly an indicator of victimization in relationships which may correspond with his being partly blamed for her death. A depressed partner also makes sense with Saturn in 7th.  
Synastry-wise, a key connection seems to be the 0 degree conjunction of her Moon with his Venus. This gives excellent emotional compatibility and harmony. He is accommodating and happy towards her moods and emotions and finds pleasure in her emotional nature and happiness. She is sympathetic and caring towards his enjoyment of things and his material and social values. This is a really close, intimate, romantic connection.
Negatively, her Mars squares his Moon showing that she would seem insensitive or hurtful toward him because she would tend to be irritated or impatient with his moods and emotions. He, in turn, would often find it hard to be comfortable with her.
Her Moon is also closely squared by his Saturn. This shows a very difficult connection where she would feel emotionally mistrustful of him, as well as emotionally unsupported or oppressed by him. This is not at all conducive to a trusting and comfortable relationship. From his side, he probably felt uncomfortable or inhibited by her moods and emotions in many ways.
With regard to suicide, her chart has a lot of suffering written into it. 1st ruler Saturn in the 12th is difficult for life in general. Emotional life is also very painful with debilitated 4th lord in 8th house and Moon in 8th house alongside it. Exchange of houses 8/9 is very painful and gives many troubles and obstacles in life.  
On Feb 11 1963, Ketu was 0 degrees conjunct her 12th house Saturn by transit. Ketu tends to introvert and block whatever it transits, so the already difficult and hidden 12th house Capricorn Saturn was deeply intensified. This by no means shows that she had to commit suicide, but it is a very difficult, pessimistic and introspective transit. Furthering the inner sense of trial and self examination, Saturn had been transiting her 12th house for a few years at this time.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User J

What would be great would be an additional chart combining their planets...hers in blue, his in red. Okay, we could do this at home, but here it would be good for quick viewing. Could leave out aspect lines to minimize clutter.
Want to thank Wayne for the poem..can't really understand a poet without her poetry, as one can't really understand a politician without their politics. Does anyone have a short one by Hughes?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User sandstone

Comment: suicide would seem to have an association with saturn/pluto. one can have all the thoughts and opinions they want on the subject of suicide, but without these planets in hard aspect in your own chart, i'm not so sure the understanding would be there to empathize with the hardship implied.. this important opposition contains all of the planets with the exception of uranus, which one could say is at the top of a t square, so this sat/pl opp, along with uranus position defines the chart in a significant manner.. i suppose i would have liked to talk lightness and fun with feb 14th approaching, but this is the romance chart up for discussion! mars in leo in the 7th, suggests relationships aren't going to be smooth, nor venus in virgo on 8th house cusp either i suppose. mars in 7th square to mercury in scorpio suggests issues of jealousy and conflict in relationships generally. it is interesting to note the prog moon position right at the mars/mercury square for the time of her death..this square is the closest aspect in the chart deserving special attention.. the prog sun/mars square is exact at the prog and natal uranus as well.. and prog venus has just moved into scorpio making exact square to the 12th house prog saturn.  
as joe points out and expresses well, the moon/venus connection in their charts is very favourable..
i think a certain amount of projection naturally occurs in any marraige/relationship prior to the age of 30.. probably lots after that date too, but in this example the saturn in capricorn square sun in scorpio would seem a strong male image connecting to her obsession with her father, and her depiction of her husband as a cold and domineering man who stiffled her creativity.. some of that would also be the result of mars/leo{creative sign}/7th position as well.. perhaps he was some of these traits, but i think this may have been coming from her attempt at understanding her father and men in general, and less from him.. angst makes for good creative juice either way...
standout planet in his chart is the saturn in cap on the descendant... this would explain much around question 3.. saturn in 7th i view favourably.. it is usually someone who learns to approach relationships in a serious manner once the tendancy to project onto the other the shadow side of their own saturn is relinquished...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 11.02.2006 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Paula R. Gassmann, Moderator

To J: Regarding the request for a short poem by Hughes,here is one from his collection The Thought-Fox and Other Poems: (Difficult to choose, actually. One called Sheep is most beautiful and stunning to hear, but it is very long. This one seemed appropriate to the love theme. This poem is without usual punctuation, as noted.)
Bride and Groom Lie Hidden for Three Days
She gives him his eyes, she found them Among some rubble, among some beetles
He gives her her skin He just seemed to pull it down out of the air and lay it over her She weeps with fearfulness and astonishment
She has found his hands for him and fitted them freshly at the wrists They are amazed at themselves, they go feeling all over her
He has assembled her spine, he cleaned each piece carefully And sets them in perfect order A superhuman puzzle but he is inspired She leans back twisting this way a nd that, using it and laughing, incredulous
Now she has brought his feet, she is connecting them So that his whole body lights up
And he has fashioned her new hips With all fittings complete and with newly wound coils, all shiningly oiled He is polishing every part,he himself can hardly believe it
They keep taking each other to the sun, they find they can easily To test each new thing at each new step
And now she smooths over him the plates of his skull So that the joints are invisible And now he connects her throat, her breasts and the pit of her stomach With a single wire
She gives him his teeth, tying their roots to the centrepin of his body
He sets the little circlets on her fingertips She stiches his body here and there with steely purple silk
He oils the delicate cogs of her mouth
She inlays with deep-cut scrolls the nape of his neck
He sinks into place the inside of her thighs
So, gasping with joy, with cries of wonderment Like two gods of mud
Sprawling in the dirt, but with infinite care
They bring each other to perfection.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
24-Jul-2014, 16:58 UT/GMT
Sun1Leo43'21"