Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 21.04.2014 at 05:31 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Beverly Sills (Read 57 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Beverly Sills
« on: 12.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Beverly Sills, born 25 May 1929 at 01:00 AM in Brooklyn NY

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

With her perennially bright hair, warm smile, and brilliant vocal technique, Beverly Sills captured music buffs' hearts and gave new life to opera in America. When she gave up singing, she was a much-loved and very effective arts administrator. Despite public adoration and career success, Sills suffered the hardship of having both of her children disabled with one of them institutionalized. Such suffering was seldom evident in public. Elegant and sunny, she appeared at least on the outside to richly deserve her nickname Bubbles. Let's analyze her chart this week.
  • Sills started her career at a tender age. Not many child stars have long careers, but Sills' stage career blossomed and continued into her 50s. Where in the chart is the child star with enough talent, stamina, and perseverance to become a beloved star with a long career?
  • Sills knew hardship and tragedy in her life, particularly with the significant congenital problems her children suffered. She said that having to learn not to be bitter, having to deal with such overwhelming sadness made her a better artist and a stronger person. What in her chart might describe her phenomenal success after having suffered such hardship? Is there something in her chart that might describe her children's situations? Where in the chart is her resilience, her refusal to be bitter and her positive approach to her art and to life in general?
  • She turned around a failing, debt-ridden City Opera, was known as a tireless fund-raiser, had the artistic vision to get the company on track and significantly boosted ticket sales. With such acumen, she was much in demand as a consultant to other arts organizations. What in Sills' chart describes her business skills?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Beverly Sills
« Reply #1 - on: 12.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jotown

<b>1.) </b> " Where in the chart is the child star with enough talent, stamina, and perseverance to become a beloved star with a long career?"
The child star can be seen by her Sun in the 3rd house conjunct the ruler of the Midheaven (Jupiter) also in the 3rd house. Mercury - the natural ruler of the 3rd house - is the final dispositor of the chart and it is in a tight quintile to ASC ruler Uranus and in an opposition to traditional ASC ruler Saturn.
Her very strong Mercury is also in opposition to the natal third house ruler the Moon and the Moon is in the 10th house and the most elevated planet; this shows the beloved star.
Venus (the planet that rules the throat/voice) is in trine to Saturn and Mars is trine both Uranus and the MC. This gives the energy and perseverance as well as the stamina. The Sun/Jupiter conjunction also helps with the general vitality.
<b>2.) </b> " What in her chart might describe her phenomenal success after having suffered such hardship? Is there something in her chart that might describe her children's situations? Where in the chart is her resilience, her refusal to be bitter and her positive approach to her art and to life in general?"
Her MC ruler (Jupiter) is conjunct the Sun and in a tight septile to Pluto. This shows phenomenal success and well as the resilience to carry on after her hardships.
Mercury is in the 5th house of children and it is in an opposition to the Moon - which rules the 6th house of health issues - and Saturn which rules the 12th house of hospitals and institutions. This speaks strongly to her autistic stepchild being institutionalized as well as her daughter being deaf as Saturn rulers hearing as well.
The Sun/Jupiter conjunction gives the pathological optimist, and the grand trine from Moon, Venus and Neptune shows the positive approach to art and again Venus/Saturn shows the theme of resiliency.
<b>3.) </b> " With such acumen, she was much in demand as a consultant to other arts organizations. What in Sills' chart describes her business skills?"
The natal ruler of the 10th house (Jupiter) is conjunct her Sun and the natural ruler of the 10th house is conjunct her Moon and both are in the 10th house. Also; Uranus in the 2nd house trine Mars in the 6th house and both in a grand trine to her MC shows that she was a fighter and a forceful presence when it came to Money (2nd house) work (6th house) and here career (MC).
Mercury is in a very tight quintile to Uranus as well as opposite Saturn; Uranus is also bi-septile Saturn. This indicates that she was an extremely intelligent and futuristic thinker.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 13.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Shelley Jordan

Johannes Kepler, one of our last, great astrological geniuses, when commenting on his success said something to the effect that his stars were Galileo, Rudolf II and Brahe (I'm searching for the exact quote - apologies for not having it on hand). His success, he believed, came from his extremely hard work, talent and commitment, not from his chart.
I think we can say this is true about anyone who achieves great success. Genetics, environment, socio-economics and sheer application of effort are responsible for notable achievement. These are certainly big components in the great success of America's favorite soprano, Beverly Sills.
Given the above hereditary and environmental conditions, the additional factors in her chart that contributed to her intense personal strength, gifts and ambition are numerous. Aquarius is a sign that appears often in the charts of opera singers, classical musicians and composers. First, as an air sign, it's auditory. Then, if fortuitously combined with high intelligence and musical gifts, Aquarius enables a kind of intellectual systems orientation - in this case, the system being music theory and the complexities of classical music form. Linguistics and language skills are other Aquarian thought systems that are required in opera. Not to mention the ensemble work that is crucial to opera performance.
Beverly Sills had all of these gifts in great measure - high intelligence, language abilities, and a gifted musical intellect. In addition, she was "The Peoples' Soprano". Aquarius rising describes her casual, friendly, approachable personality. She reached millions of people who ordinarily may not have been otherwise interested in opera. She took opera from its position as an elite art form and created an accessible, enjoyable American past time, available to everyone and anyone.
Her chart is dominated by cerebral signs: Aquarius, Gemini and Sagittarius. She displayed high intelligence at an early age, and as a child was able to mimic the complex, coloratura arias sung by mature sopranos. Gemini, especially Gemini in the 3rd house can describe these gifts of mimicry. The Sun conjunct Jupiter in Gemini in the 3rd and the Moon in Sagittarius - combined with the Aquarius ascendent - all indicate intellectual potential. Beverly Sills was one smart woman.
The Sag Moon conjunct Saturn also describes her responsible, organizational skills, not to mention her huge capacity for work. Saturn is also frequently significant in the charts of accomplished artists whose work necessitates repetitive mastery and discipline. Nothing less than complete commitment is required to be a successful opera singer - it is one of the most challenging careers in the world.
Her expansive Saturn in Sagittarius, in the 11th house of groups and organizations (she lead the faltering City Opera to fiscal success) is opposite her intellectual Mercury in Gemini. Mercury-Saturn combinations, when combined with natal intelligence, enjoy rigorous, intellectually complex challenges. These she had in large quantities, not only in the form of rescuing the City Opera, but also in the type of opera she sang: complex, vocally and dramatically demanding roles, which required detailed and difficult coloratura (Mozart referred to this musical technique as "chopped up noodles" - long lines of tiny little notes which have to be sung with perfect and exacting detail). For instance, she was a great Queen of the Night (Mozart's Magic Flute), a role so demanding in its exactitude and stratospheric singing that few women can ever successfully perform it.
Please note, too, that she had Sun in an out-of-sign square to Neptune. There is no need to search for the delibilitation typically assigned to this aspect by traditional astrology. Sun-Neptune types, when gifted, often have a charismatic ingenuity that makes them stand out from the crowd.
While Beverly Sills had much sorrow in her life, her Sagittarius Moon's optimism and her love for her work always pulled her through. As she said "I'm not a happy woman, but I'm a cheerful woman." She'll be sadly missed.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 13.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User M

I know very little about Ms. Sills, but ill take a crack at it...
Death by Lung Cancer is shown by Saturn, chart ruler conjunct the moon, ruler of the 6th house of health, opposing Mercury, ruler of the 8th house of death and all tied up with the lungs, as mutable signs...specifically Gemini, but all the signs have a baring...with the three planets there and Virgo, another mutable sign on the cusp of the 8th house of death, it was just icing on the cake...
The tremendous creative talent and vitality is shown by the grand trine in fire...Venus in Aries, Neptune in Leo and Moon/Saturn in Sagittarius shows a real go getter...energetic, passionate and optomistic...The grand trine funnels out to Mercury well placed in its own sign of Gemini in the creative fifth house...showing enormous potential for arts and creative organizations..she used the kite formation very well from this configuration...
Jupiter ruler of the midheaven at the nadir and conjunct the north node in Venus shows the potential for a lovely voice...The pleides despite their also negative connotations also can bestow a beautiful voice...angular and with the north node as well as in the sign of beauty, Taurus, shows the potential of a sweet voice and stage presence....
Her beloved husband is the sun, ruler of the 7th house in Gemini at the exact degree of the north nodes exalt, well aspected and sextile the Mars in Leo..he was a decent man and the marriage was a happy one...
The children's problems arent easily shown, however, Mercury ruler of the 5th house, in its own house, opposes the moon exactly and is opposing the retrograde Saturn...the moon shows congential problems and Saturn shows limitations...Mercury's only positive aspect is to Venus, but Venus is weak in Aries and can offer little help...
The moon as the most elevated planet in the chart and part of a grand trine in fire, brought her enoromous success with the public, especially women..
Her child star talent is shown by Mars, ruler of the third house of childhood, in Leo the sign of the perfomer, well aspected in sextile with the sun at the north nodes degree of exaltation and in trine with Uranus in Aries, a good position for Uranus, ruler of brilliance and both trining the midheaven...this brought her early fame and prominence
Mercury/Moon=Jupiter/Pluto, in the fifth house of artistic talent this bring the potential for enormous wealth..esp as the funnel of a grand trine in fire...A planet sitting on this midpoint brings potential for wealth thru hard work, which is exactly how she revamped the city opera...

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 13.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Zart  

A great part of fame is knowing how to move (in) a crowd. The chart's (traditional) ruler Saturn is at home in the 11th. Add to that Sagittarius' influences over the 11th via cusp and placement of Luminarie and you have someone inclined to do things in a big way.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 14.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Venus by Evelyn

In reading the chart for Beverly I always look at the degrees of planet PLUTO and URANUS - this, "in my opinion" will detail an individuals life. A brief summation is: I feel the squares are indications of some of the ups and down as well as some of the sicknesses she endured. Additionally, the planet placements in her 7th house (relationships) shows "again" indications of ups and downs for her husband; and, in the placement of planet SUN the greatness of this wonderful lady is (with her dual attributes) are perfect indications of how she survived (through it all) she made it! Note her determination re the placement of her planets in Taurus.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 15.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carol

Sun in Gemini conjunct Jupiter in Taurus says so much in this case, i.e., creative expression (Sun) by communication (Gemini) with a rich, abundant (Jupiter) voice (Taurus).

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 15.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User C arol

Also, that potent Jupiter is also ruling the MC (career).

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 15.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User cynthia

Venus by Evelyn
Would you share more detail regarding the degrees of Pluto and Uranus? I'd love to understand your method, specifically what the degrees in BS's represent.
thank you

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 15.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User sandstone

hi m, i was looking over the chart, reading the adb questions before reading the comments here and was wondering if you would see the jupiter/pluto midpoint and what it pointed to! kudos.. you seem to like that midpoint. i think that opposition and saturn thrown in contribute to her organizational skills as well.. her ability to not be bitter strikes me as the emphasis in fire, but the sun/jupiter loose conj will do something similar. of course the moon/saturn could do the opposite, but given the emphasis in fire, i think fire has a hard time getting stuck in the past.. that is something more water, which her chart doesn't have a lot of.
lots to look at and will probably comment on it more later.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 15.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User M

Hey Sandstone...
After reading that article by Basil Fearrington, i decided to check out the Jupiter/Pluto on the charts of famous people...its interesting, a great deal of the time, not always, but alot, with wealthy people and movie stars, ull either find a planet on the midpoint, the planets square or opposing each other or the aries point falling on their midpoint, giving 2-3 degree orbs...
In the biography part of Beverly Stills it said she was excellent at raising money and reversing fortunes of the opera house, so i naturally looked it up and what do u know, right there is mercury/moon, part of the grand trine and emptying into the fifth house of arts, the kite of the trine..
I agree alot of fire moves on, but we should note that a conjunction between the moon and saturn, while definately sobering is far different in a sign like sagittarius, than a sign like cancer or even leo, for in sagittarius, neither planet is particularly weak and the fire element is still overly optomistic I

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 15.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Beverly Sills has a very tight Jupiter/Pluto septile so she has a very strong and direct Jupiter/Pluto connection. Jupiter/Pluto has long been associated with those who amass large fortunes or big power.
You will find Jupiter/Pluto overly represented in the charts of billionaires and the extremely wealthy.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 16.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Jupiter with the NN (Rahu)suggests to me a powerful need to perform. The inconjunct to SAturn and Moon might suggest what drove her, but the results were extraordinary.
sandstone, I know you are fascinated by the navamsa, take a look at that of Lady Bird Johnson.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 16.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

cynthia, yes interesting 9th harmonic on lady birds chart! i don't know anything about her so my ability to appreciate the symbolism is lost.
has anyone pointed out how the chart is almost a perfect hexagon? it is missing only one point in libra. that suggests a lot of adaptability and flexibility, not to mention someone who is good at networking! it is in the fire/air signs as well and she has aquarius rising a sign given over to broader ideas, with a focus on humanitarian, utopian or social/collective causes. she would seem like a natural to lead the city opera.
i know folks like to think of singing as venusian - the throat and i think it is here as well being placed in the 3rd house, sextile mercury. why does it just have to be about taurus? jotown it is interesting you think of a septile as indicative of a strong connection between planets. do you think the same of the other septiles in the chart- moon/pluto s3, moon/jupiter s3 - what is essentially a septile pattern pointing to the moon? i think that pattern would cut to the chase on the jupiter pluto dynamic a lot more and that is where the significance of midpoints is driven home, whether in or out of a significant aspect pattern such as it is in her chart.. then there is the sun/saturn s3 - (s3=tripseptile in shorthand), the venus/mars s2 and the ascendant uranus septile.. to recap - the jupiter/pluto septile is significant due it being part of a broader pattern which involves the mercury/moon opposition, otherwise it would be just one of a number of septile aspects to the chart.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 16.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

in thinking about the idea of something being 'fated' and 7th harmonic aspects, it is interesting to consider this moon at apex of jupiter/pluto septile. when i think of motherhood, family, and child rearing, i think of the moon as having an important connection..  
don't you wonder about the present state of astrology where in sills chart the mercury in the 5th is supposed to somehow explain the nature of her children and it not doing it in the 'traditional sense? i think this is where one needs to explore other areas of astrology such as midpoints as they can help shed light on what would otherwise be an 'unexplainable' facet to a chart... that is the way i look at this anyway.. i am curious to hear others thoughts on this.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 16.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

fwiw ADB - i use the unobvious aspects on my chart display and get rid of the trines, squares and sextiles. when i looks at the chart picture above it appears like a mush of lines with different colours that are basically indistinguishable.. maybe i am alone in this regard, but i doubt it.. it is difficult to see the oddball aspects - quintiles, septiles and noviles etc, but one way to see them is to remove the obvious aspects off the chart.. my 2cs, lol.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 16.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

<b>sandstone wrote: </b> "jotown it is interesting you think of a septile as indicative of a strong connection between planets. do you think the same of the other septiles in the chart"
I have always used septiles and quintiles in my delineations here at ADB and I do consider them both to be major aspects. However I do find that the true Septile (51'26") and true Quintile (72') to be stronger and more influential than the Bi-Quintile or the Bi and Tri-Septile.
I still use the other 5th and 7th harmonic aspects but unless they are part of a bigger aspect picture I don't find them particularly useful.
In this chart we have a very tight Septile - 50'57"- or a 29 arc minute orb. An aspect of any kind that tight between two planets - especially when one is the MC ruler and 2nd house (money) ruler - stands on its own.
Again; I use the Bi-Quintile or the Bi and Tri-Septile but I find that there are usually aspects in a chart that are much stronger and louder than the extended 5th and 7th harmonic aspects; unless they are part of a larger 5th or 7th harmonic aspect pattern.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 16.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

sandstone I agree with your post regarding the "unexplainable" facets of a chart. I'm not sure where exactly we should look for them.
I feel "uncomfortable" with Sills birthtime. I look at both tropical and Vedic charts and it seems that she is so much bigger than the chart. Perhaps the septiles or midpoints are the answer. But I wonder, is talent truly visible in a chart? If yes, where do we differentiate between talent, fame and opportunity?  
sorry to ramble, but am enjoying the different posts with little concrete to say. I find the angular Mars and the Jupiter conjoined NN to show her drive in pursuit of fame, and even her push for for perfection, but where are the opportunities and the enormous talent?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 17.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Allen

Reference: SUN is disposited by Mercury (in other words, the Sun is in Mercury's sign). MERCURY is disposited by Mercury. VENUS is disposited by Mars. MARS is disposited by Sun. JUPITER is disposited by Venus. SATURN is disposited by Jupiter. URANUS is disposited by Mars. NEPTUNE is disposited by Sun. PLUTO is disposited by Moon. MOON is disposited by Jupiter.
We start here: Sagittarius is the sign on the MC and its ruler is Jupiter (possibly more than 1 vocation indicated).
 Jupiter is in Taurus in the 3rd house of communication. Taurus is sometimes associated with finance (we'll keep that in mind in case it is relevant later). Jupiter is disposited by Venus, 3-ruler, in the 2nd house. More references to communications and possibly finance. We also keep in mind that both Taurus and Mercury have to do with the throat (we are thinking perhaps signing). Note that Venus is trine Neptune in the 7th (also, Jupiter in the 3rd is square Neptune). BOOM! We now have "art" and communications" tied in with Jupiter, which can be "broadcasting". Neptune in the 7th suggests that this art will be showcased publicly (7th). Venus is disposited by Mars (2-ruler), which is disposited by the Sun (in the 3rd house), which is disposited by Mercury, the final dispositor. Mercury is in Gemini, the sign of communications. Boom! No doubt. This person must be involved with artful communications, possibly involving the voice. We note that Mercury also rules the 5th house of theatrics and drama and the 7th house of public projection.
 The Moon is in the 10TH HOUSE - and in the sign (reigning need) of Sagittarius.
 The Moon's sign tells us the reigning need of the individual. From my notes: Moon here is the need to have opinions respected and rewarded, to bring knowledge forward to benefit others, and/or international philosophical pursuit. The Moon's position in the 10th house says that she needs to be the leader, the one in charge, the one who heads up the show (combine this with her Aquarian Ascendant and you see that she has her own unique way of doing things). Notice that the Moon is brought strongly into the vocation because it is in the 10th house and it is also opposite Mercury, the final dispositor. Note also that the Sun opposes the MC (and squares Neptune). This, too brings leadership and showmanship qualities to the vocation. The Sun rules the public 7th house - showmanship in front of the public. We see that Saturn (at the Aries Point) is part of the grand trine with Venus and Neptune. This brings in business administration to the artistic expression.
 Mercury is in its own sign and is a final dispositor - see above.
 JUPITER is the oriental planet.
 From my notes: need to invite testing, challenge, responsibility in order to prove how reliable one is, meeting a deadline is the best of achievement, opportunities for coming through without any doubt invigorate the person and allow individual value to be proved, and/or getting things done quickly is fulfilling because it calls attention to one's competence.
 MERCURY is quintile URANUS MARS is quintile JUPITER ASC is quintile MC
 3 or more quintiles in a chart tells us that the person MUST have a creative outlet through which they may channel their energies. Note that Jupiter, 10-ruler, is involved, as well as our very strong Mercury. The quintile between ASC and MC suggests that her vocation will somehow creatively use her personality.
 MERCURY is quindecile MC N. NODE is quindecile MC
 The quindecile aspect (165 deg) is an indication or statement of intensity or obsession, of enduring focus, a laser-like beam of attention within development. Note Mercury is involved as well as the Node (the Node represents public outreach or big public exposure - needing a large audience - note Jupiter, 10-ruler, is conjunct the Node). And both of these are connected to the MC, which represents vocation and social status.
 NEPTUNE is configured with the Sun-Moon midpoint - this again heavily influences the Neptune energies in the chart (show business, creativity/inspiration/imagination - with Sun = theatrical, to be dramatically on display, the creative entertainer).
 MERCURY is configured with the Jupiter-Pluto midpoint. MOON is configured with the Jupiter-Pluto midpoint. MC is configured with the Jupiter-Pluto midpoint.
 Fame? Success? Mercury, Moon, and MC are all configured with the Jupiter-Pluto midpoint, which is a midpoint of success.
 Mercury is configured with the VENUS/ASC midpoint (wouldn't this be a natural placement for a singer? - voice - communication - art - personality).
 MC opposes SUN. MC trines MARS. MC trines URANUS.
[continued in next posting]

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 17.07.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

[continued from posting above:] by Allen
MC squares NEPTUNE (even more reference to art and theatrics).
 More thoughts: Note that Venus in the 2nd rules the 8th house of other people's money. I suspect Beverly was involved in philanthropic ventures (a natural for an Aquarian rising individual). Mars, 2-ruler, is in the 6th of social services and disposits Uranus, the planet of humanitarianism.
 SATURN is at the Aries Point.
 AP is configured with the MERCURY/MC midpoint. AP is configured with the MARS/JUPITER midpoint. AP is configured with the MARS/MOON midpoint. AP is configured with the MARS/N. NODE midpoint. AP is configured with the NEPTUNE/MC midpoint.
 Considering that the Aries Point is a thrust to the public, and that a planet associated with the AP is brought forward, noticed easily, asks to be noticed, and gains ascendancy in expression, well, is there any doubt that Beverly has known renown?
 Mars is trine Uranus, suggesting that Beverly was technology-oriented or had an interest in science. Perhaps she was involved in the lighting in her productions as Uranus rules lighting, if I recall correctly.
 Jupiter is also squaring Mars (which is trine MC), bringing promotion and energy (Mars - beating the drum for a cause, tooting the horn) to the vocation.
 This chart just "sings", doesn't it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
21-Apr-2014, 04:31 UT/GMT
Sun1Taurus0' 1"
Moon15Capricorn55'31"
Mercury25Aries27' 3"
Venus16Pisces40'11"
Mars14Libra21'39"r
Jupiter13Cancer35'55"