Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 17.04.2014 at 17:19 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Charlton Heston (Read 466 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Charlton Heston
« on: 10.04.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Charlton Heston, born 4 October 1923 at 07:55 AM in Evanston IL

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

In recent times Charlton Heston has been most closely associated with the National Rifle Association. You've probably seen the video clip of Heston holding up a rifle and proclaiming defiantly "Out of my cold, dead hand." Perhaps you saw him being challenged by Michael Moore in Moore's documentary "Bowling for Columbine." Yet Charlton Heston's life and career included a long and varied series of achievements as actor, activist, and fund-raiser. Let's study his chart this week to see where his varied roles, on screen and off, are shown astrologically.
  • Where in Heston's chart do you see the magnificent voice, the career in acting, his varied talents, interests and activities? Can you pick out from his chart the astrological representations of some of his famous roles like Moses, Ben-Hur, El Cid, Michelangelo, John the Baptist, Marc Anthony, President Andrew Jackson? Where's the head of Screen Actors' Guild and the NRA?
  • How do you interpret the 12th house? Notice that Heston's Sun, Venus and Saturn are all there in Libra, with Venus serving as a midpoint between Sun and Saturn. How would you factor into your interpretation this trio's placement and relationship with each other?
  • Except for his Midheaven and Neptune, Heston has no fire in his chart. What might the lack of this element signify in his personality and life choices?  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Charlton Heston
« Reply #1 - on: 24.04.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User M

The strong features, sharp eyes, almost hawkish looks are typical of Scorpio rising..very masculine temperment..No planets rise or are angular so the ascendant remains "naked" giving the full thrust of the rising sign..Jupiter in the first house albeit not rising can add height and he was indeed tall..
Neptune is very important, sole in fire and the only singleton it is exactly conjunct the part of fortune in the 10th house and exactly squares Jupiter this overrides the normally weak 10th house ruler, the sun in fall in Libra and in the 12th house to boot without any strong reception...the Sun-Venus conjunction is somewhat better than not as Venus is in rulership there..this helped his looks even though its locked up in the 12th house..Neptune rules the screen its high in the sky with part fortune and makes a very strong square to Jupiter in the first house..excellent screen presence.. both planets rule religion and that is what he is remembered for, Moses and Ben-Hur..larger than life religious figures..since fire is so weak, he overcompensated by being "thunderous" and energetic...this plays into the NRA presidency..he felt weak, so guns and rough activities appeal to him..
Strong grand trine in water...good for feeling emotions, good for acting..emotionally self contained though..his marriage lasted because he didnt need much more than himself..she was supportive and he did what he chose to, a strong personality and helpmate made for a good marriage..
Chart empties into Uranus and the south node..ruling the 4th house end of life is problematic..Saturn c0-ruling strong but in the 12th led to an isolated end of his days..Uranus in Pisces making a wide opposition to Mars in the mutable signs can give problems with mental issues as those signs rule them..to boot Mercury is in rulership-exalt and at the critical 29th degree and retrograde..this does not help the prognosis of Alzheimers..Short term memory ruled by Saturn in 12th house squaring functional ruler of the body moon doesnt help, event though both are in their own signs
Saturn in same sign of Sun even though far from conjunction plus squaring moon shows problem of parents marriage..Venus-Saturn in rulership-exalt shows a faithful union and very much fated esp as Venus rules the 7th house cusp

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 24.04.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Carol

Guess it makes sense that his chart ruler (traditional) is Mars in the 11th, what with his having been the biggest crusader on the planet for rampant gun ownership.
But on another tack, many many years ago when they were shooting some scenes for the movie Airport '75 in the Salt Lake City Airport, I got to see him and some of the other cast members "up close and personal" as they sat around all afternoon waiting to be called to do their scenes. And the thing that struck me about Heston was that he was SO unapproachable, consistently walking around like a stiff board with a yellow turtleneck on and his nose about as high in the air as it would go, while George Kennedy and Ed Nelson sat casually talking and laughing with anybody who came up and asked for their autographs.  
Anyway, I always kind of wondered why a presumably "nice" Libra Sun would be so "stuck up", but now I think maybe it had more to do with his reserved (perhaps suspicious?) Scorpio Asc. than anything else, which come to think of it also goes along with his thinking that everybody and their dog has a perfectly good reason to be armed, lol.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 25.04.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User james

i would look to his 12th house saturn to explain a lot of that carol.. same with whacked out bush, who sees a terrorist in every closet... these guys feel the need to arm the planet up the yin yang to compensate for there own scary shadow that lurks in the 12th... hestons sun/pluto square 9 to 12 just amplifies paranoia.. moon in cancer is usually unduly protective anyway, but squaring the 12th house saturn, it is in overdrive for all the wrong reasons baby..  
the crusader thing- neptune/jupiter square connected to the midheaven.. this combo fits that of a religious fanatic, in this particular case - religious gun advocate..  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 25.04.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Anny van Berckel-deKok

Uranian astrology is good for such interesting chart Mr Hestons's Mc-in the sidereal zodiac-is in Cancer 17°10'. Ruler Moon is in Cancer 2°22'in 9th house; conj.Zeus(ruler Leo creativity) conj.Pluto in 9,in Gemini. Cupido is involved with acting and good voice = conjunct MC conj.Neptune. In leo is the Moonnode + Juno + Mars + Apollon ruler Gemini. In Virgo: Mercury+Sun+Venus+Saturn. In Libra Asc + Vesta and Jupiter. His illness in 2002 is clearly visible via Neptune+Hades-Mercury is 17°19'= in Capr.exact conj.rx IC opposite Kinetic Sun exact square rx Black Moon in Aries/Admetos in Aries opposite rxAscendant/Kinectic Ascendant.The time of his death could have been 1:50:23 PM. Then I see tr Mars in 8 rx is conjunct Pluto/Vulcan rx square Sun rx

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 26.04.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Marjorie

What's curious about him is that his support of the gun lobby makes him sound like a real red-necked ultra-right wing fanatic - and Michael Moore did a fair demolition job on him in Columbine. Yet he was also one of the few who spoke out publicly for the Civil Rights movement and Martin Luther King early on which must have taken guts. It struck me as very Uranian - a contrariness which will stand up for what he believes no matter how much it goes against what others might think of as contradictory viewpoints. His Uranus opposition Mars is a key driving factor in his chart since it's tied (widely) into a kite to that secretive, self protective Water Grand Trine. With Mars Uranus he presumably quite liked causing a stir and some excitement, indeed he thrived on danger. His 9th house Pluto certainly hold trenchantly strong views, especially squaring onto the 13th house Libra planets.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 26.04.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Marjorie, interesting comments about Heston's Uranus and earlier days of supporting the civil rights movement. I was also surprised to learn that after Robert Kennedy's assassination he was one of a group of prominent actors that issued a statement calling for support of the Gun Control Act of 1968. But by the 80s he opposed affirmative action, supported gun rights, and changed from Democrat to Republican, campaigning for Republican presidents.
What's also interesting is that not only is Uranus in a driving position (being the handle of a fan), but it's also closely conj. his South Node in Pisces, which some consider represents a subconscious need to finish out in this lifetime what that SN/planet represent from previous lifetimes. But the ideal situation is to get that unfinished business taken care of as soon as possible, so you can go on to what you're really supposed to do to grow and develop in this lifetime, i.e., play out your North Node. And if you stay in that SN mode/focus too long, it can become a very negative, unhealthy thing 'cause you're supposed to be moving on already.
And that's where I think Heston went wrong. In his earlier days he played out his Pisces SN/Uranus so positively with his compassionate support of groundbreaking Uranian causes such as civil rights and gun control, but then it seems he got stuck in his SN (instead of moving on to his NN stuff), and that's how all his misguided, destructive fanaticism for the wrong causes got started and lasted the rest of his life. Most unfortunate.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 03.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

I am not sure if this was addressed yet here but if it was I apologize to who addressed it...
Mars sits at the Saturn/Neptune suggesting a problem inherent in its foundation, medically this planet is very weak..that it rules the 6th house of illness and that it opposes Uranus and the south node is not good...Mars is the natural ruler of Aries and head...this can suggest amongst other things Alzheimers, which is what killed him...the Saturn/Neptune seems to be a major problem in terms of health

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 04.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User LWood

"But by the 80s he opposed affirmative action, supported gun rights, and changed from Democrat to Republican, campaigning for Republican presidents."
That fits his major transits quite well Carol. In 79/80 Pluto finished a long transit over his Lib placements, and made a couple of stations on his Saturn. During that time tr Saturn conj his Pluto. All of this set off his Moon sqr Saturn which in the end, as one ages takes hold as fear, generalized and specific and made worse with his 12th house of undefined concerns. It must a been a real tough and fear-inspiring process for him. He sure came out with a personna much different than he held 12 years earlier.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 05.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

LWood, thanks for the illuminating stuff about Tr. Saturn's and Tr. Pluto's roles in that whole transformation Heston did by the 1980s. Also, besides all that, Tr. Pluto in the vulnerable 12th was also Squaring his self-protective Natal Moon in the 9th (belief system) during 1982-3, which was probably the clincher!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 05.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

I think the conservative political bent is the 9th house ruler, the moon in Cancer..i find that moon in cancer placements, in general, start out liberal and get more conservative as they age because of their natural cling to familiarity and security...Cancer is a compassionate sign so in youth they are more oriented towards fairness and sensitivity..but as they get older they resent the changing political worlds and social revolutions that are many times the fruit of their earlier efforts..naturally aspects to the moon will alter this but cancer resents change to a large extent, peculiar for a cardinal sign. but the glyph of cancer actually moves forward and backwards showing the sort of impasse that Heston shows...liberal in youth but resentful of change as they age, which ends up being conservative
If you look at his viewpoints, he wanted equality with the civil rights movement in the 1960s which he believed were inherent rights of all men...his views really did not change, since he viewed affirmative action and tighter gun laws as sort of restrictive on earned rights and an overcompensation for regular civil rights to minorities
The square with Saturn showed a definite resist to drastic change...any aspect between the moon and saturn resists anything drastic..I doubt so much Heston thought his views any different in his older age

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 06.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

M, you make such a good point toward helping explain Heston's extreme turnabout in his thinking (9th house Cancer Moon is naturally more liberal in the beginning and then gets more conversative with age, etc.), but then you basically cancel it out all out by saying:
 "his views really did not change, since he viewed affirmative action and tighter gun laws as sort of restrictive on earned rights and an overcompensation for regular civil rights to mninorities."  
Anyway, I think your first point is a very valid, correct, and pertinent one, and you should have stuck with it and thrown out all the meaningless, flimsy cancellation.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 06.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

I should rephrase then....in his own mind his views did not change...so subjectively he was still the same, but objectively he went from liberal to conservative, but as far as he thought it was really the same in his own justification...better?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 11.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User colleen quinn

Placidus, Tropical
I must answer #3 first as it fairly SCREAMS out at me. Look closely & see that Mc & neptune are conjunct, but the part of fortune is almost exactly conjunct Neptune. Then again, we see the yods that involve Mc, S node (skills from past), & sun, as well as a close secondary leg on that yod that involves uranus and venus. Due to lack of fire...it ensures that it will be much more pointed in his choices & much more specific, as opposed to another person w/more elemental balance. Almost as if the few items in fire make it almost a fresnel lens for the personality.
For #1 I see the 11th to 6th to 1st house yod as supportive of voice, varied talents & friends (networking). Jupiter in 1st very common w/great actors; 10th shows accumulated karma (payoff this time) along w/indicators of screen presence of neptune, the added impetus of an exact part of fortune along w/the only fire in the chart. The roles I see as represented in 8th by Vtx connected to Saturn/Venus, but possible through all of the air (gemini libra). As to SAG & NRA; A secondary uninvolved (directly that is) yod is that of mars (11th) to chiron (6th) to jupiter (1st). This shows the aggressive quality of networking (11th & friends) to healing of self (6th & chiron itself) and back to jupiter (1st self/acting).
#2 - I do Placidus, so for this chart I see sun in 11th & venus/saturn in 12th. I see this as his unconscious choices contributing to the beauty of what he is.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 12.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Margarette Kaylor

It looks to me like Heston has Chiron also in fire at 19 Aries 08 Rx. That means he DOES have some fire in his chart. Chiron trines Neptune from the 6th to the 10 house, too.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 21.05.2008 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User tethy

1. Magnificent voice- ruler 2H JUsco (op tau); MEvir/lib11sxtMO9H; SUconjVElib. Playing the roles of great historical figures - JU rising sq NEleo10H. Leader of activist groups - MA11H op UR. 2. Full 12H - artist, actor, generous, charitable. SU-VE-SA lib 12H - concrete expression of all the percieved beauty and harmony of the world-this would also support the voice. Spiritual understanding reflected out through the roles of leading thinkers. 3. The lack of fire is only apparent - JU rising brings adequate fire to the chart, especially in the MA ruled scorpio; plus leo on MC. Anymore fire and he probably would not have been able to accept the persona of other characters with such understanding.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
17-Apr-2014, 16:19 UT/GMT
Sun27Aries34'24"
Moon26Scorpio54'31"
Mercury18Aries24'56"
Venus12Pisces47'30"
Mars15Libra36'37"r
Jupiter13Cancer9'32"
Saturn21Scorpio40'31"r