Uranus12Aries34'35"r4n21
    Neptune5Pisces5'11"10s20
    Pluto12Capricorn41' 1"20s39
    TrueNode16Libra48'26"r6s36
    Chiron13Pisces22'19"2s12
    Explanations of the symbols
    Chart of the moment
| My Astro | Forum | FAQ
Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 18.12.2014 at 00:41 [UT]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Mohandas Gandhi (Read 387 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Mohandas Gandhi
« on: 17.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

Discussion about
Mohandas Gandhi, born 2 October 1869 at 07:11:48 AM in Porbandar

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

When I contemplate a resolution to the endless rounds of violent reprisals in the Middle East, my thoughts turn to Mahatma Gandhi. Many prominent peacemakers, such as Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, have acknowledged Gandhi and his philosophy of non-violent resistance as a core inspiration behind their work. So let us study the life, thoughts and chart of this great man of peace to see what we can learn about achieving peace without violence.
  • Ironically Gandhi's chart shows the two most violent planets (Mars and Pluto) in maximum tension. It is often said in astrology that what we don't exhibit, we attract into our lives. Gandhi struggled against violence all his life, including his own temper. What makes this the chart of a man who was able to take this struggle and make it a core moral force to lead a nation?  
  • He called his philosophy of non-violent opposition "satyagraha" (truth force) and his "soldiers" were called "satyagrahi." Can you find satyagraha written in his chart?  
  • At the age of 37, Gandhi committed himself to celibacy. This was not an easy decision for him; he continually tested his resolve by being massaged by young women and having them sleep next to him. He denied himself food and comfort on a regular basis through his many fasts, jail stays, and pilgrimages for causes. To deny oneself food, shelter and sex takes an iron will. Can you find the asceticism and iron will in his chart? What was going on in his chart when he took this vow of celibacy in July 1906?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Mohandas Gandhi
« Reply #1 - on: 17.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Bill Lindsay

Here is my commentary on Mahatma Gandhi's chart...  
1. <b>Mars and Pluto</b>...I don't agree that Pluto is necessarily a violent planet. These two planets are in opposition, and not necessarily at odds with each other, so much as they are cooperating. The body that is in tension here is the Moon, which shows a problem with reconciling his personal basic needs with what he had planned for his life. Frustrations with being comfortable at home, I can see that there would be a lot of political tension and power struggle within his home country, with Pluto and Jupiter being square to his Moon. He is at home among the masses, with the Moon being near the 11th and his 4th being near Aquarius. 2. <b>Satyagraha</b>...the aforementioned combination, Pluto and Jupiter conjunct, is right there near his 8th. The 8th House shows what we do for change. Jupiter has a thirst for the search for truth, and here lends his strength to otherwise powerless Pluto. Truth has a very subtle strength and if paired with persistence, as it is here, it inevitably wins. 3. <b>Self-denial</b>...Saturn in Sagittarius is denial through faith, and can sometimes encourage a systematic kind of privation based on one's religious aspirations. But then we also have that same combination---Pluto and Jupiter in the 8th(big-time spiritual connection here) square to the Moon. This shows his struggle with his faith. Privation was the name of his game. In '06, those same two planets were approaching his 9th House so they had an extra philosophical meaning. I also notice Uranus and Neptune were square his Libra Sun (which placement is not necessarily supportive of privation, especially in sexuality) from Capricorn and Cancer, respectively, so they give some assistance in keeping him stable. Saturn was moving through the 6th in Pisces and sextile to the natal P-J conjunction(and trine to Mars-Venus), but square to that same transitting conjunction in Gemini(and square to his own position in Sag), so I can see that this was not an easy conviction to make. The Sun and Mars were both running through his 10th House, which add to his boldness, as they were passing over his Uranus and nearing Leo. Mercury and Venus had already passed through the 10th and through Leo. It was a time to begin a reputation.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 17.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User peter penzini

1- Chart of the peaceful leader: Even though this planets are known as the most two violent planets, when used for a good cause they can provide powerful energy to fulfill a need. Mars and Pluto opposition : Extreme force, persuasion, control, brutality, excessive effort. But is also hard work passionate attack to achieve an objective.
 We find in Gandhi's chart that Mars and Pluto are in opposition, but also they square the Moon. The T square is an opposition axis given strong developmental potential by and in term of the planets squaring that axis.The T square is actually a direct midpoint picture. The midpoint Moon = Mars/Pluto can be interpreted as: Daring, taking a chance, playing the powerful hunch, self believe, publicity. We also have to find out what is the need of the Moon. The dramatic (Leo) Moon needs to be respected, loved and honored ,and they are fulfilled by the energy to please and gain recognition( Sun in Libra) . So this dramatic need is fulfilled powerfully by the developmental potential of the Mars-Pluto opposition and the social Sun in Libra.
 In Gandhi's case, the Sun Moon blend sets up a social idealism that is expressed dramatically or artistically; this is the position of the "noble romantic": the King or Queen doing good work and enjoying the love of the people.
I also notice that the Aries point (represents the potential for public Projection of the individual to the external world - related to the specific planet or point in contact with the AP) AP= Saturn/Uranus tension between the avant garde and the conventional, the new and the old, need to fifth for gains. He was a rebel : public projection of the revolutionary self. This is why this man was able to take this struggle and make a moral force to lead the nation in a peaceful and social (sun in Libra) way . 2- Satyagraha: Truth force. Uranus= MC.  
FORCE: Again the Mars and Pluto blend brings the " Extreme force", persuasion, control, brutality, excessive effort in the chart and also hard work passionate attack to achieve an objective. TRUTH: Jupiter is the ruler of the church and spiritual movements and is in conjunction with this Force of Pluto described before. Also we find the midpoint Node= Jupiter/Neptune dealing with others simplistically, The fight for the truth (Jupiter) and the dreams ( Neptune) becomes public (Node)
3 Asceticism and iron will
There are conflicting energies shown on his midpoints, on one side he was a very sexual individual (Pluto= Venus /Mars: Powerful sexual drive, the conquest)and charismatic ( Neptune quincunx Mars) .But on the other side there are many inhibitions (Venus= Saturn/ Neptune) deluded love feelings, inhibitions ,diminished emotional expression, sexual activity and also austerity is important as part of maturity and reliability, conservationism is comfortable( Saturn= AS/MC). At 27 the AS/MC= Saturn was triggered by the Venus Solar Arc = Ascendant, bringing restrictions to the sexual expression. Also Solar arc Saturn squared natal Sun helping Gandhi on the celibacy commitment. Tr Saturn= Venus, triggering the Saturn/Neptune midpoint also, and tr Saturn opposition Pluto triggering the Moon- Pluto- Mars square. This Saturn transits brought in the organizational energy needed. With the help of Saturn ( ruler of the military) Gandhi found a revolutionary ( AP= Saturn/Uranus) and peaceful way to bring down the English power in a non violent way.  

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 19.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Mary Phillips

To me it seems that Neptune is what is most activated here. This is a Neptunian thing he has done. And very 12th house. And look at what Neptune is doing in terms of aspects -- He is close to conjuncting the Desc (thus opposing the Asc), and depending on which TOB you take, Neptune is either in the 6th or 7th house -- he trines Saturn in the 2nd, quincunxes Mars and Venus in the same house -- opposes the Sun 10 degrees (an Orit I accept, with the Lights) in the 12th -- trines the Moon in the 11th house -- and is in an approaching square with Uranus.  
Neptune is very busy in this chart. And Neptune is Extremes (among other things), and extremes on a spiritual and cosmic level. Neptune is Christ's love for all humanity, and for all time. Neptune is immersion,total and vital. Neptune is leaping out there, into the void, no limits. And Gandhi's Neptune is being activated by Uranus, Moon, Venus, Mars and Saturn, all on the left side of the chart... which means it was HIS decisions that were what counted. The events didn't control him, he controled the events. Uranus gave him the forward vision, the encouragement to break the boundaries, and to help the People, the masses. To help everybody in his world. The Moon in Leo in the 11th, trining Neptune, gave him the Show-Biz pizzaz and the sensitivity needed to pull off what he wanted to do. His motivations were emotional and spiritual, and "For The People" (11th house). But, Saturn was there, trining his Moon, making sure that he walked the walk, that he took care of things along the path to liberty, that he stuck to Justice and as much as possible, to Legality. And the Sun in Libra was there, almost opposing Neptune, so imposing a bit of Ego and Essence on the Neptunian exuberance.  
And on top of that, Neptune is Quincunx to Venus and Mars.
What's a quincunx? Lynn Bell said once that it was like a nagging tooth-ache. Bil Tierney talks about Virgo and Pisces when he talks about a quincunx. In my experience, it appears to be some karma that you have to "meet" or deal with several times throughout a life-time, in order to learn about it.  
What did Gandhi have to learn from this Quincunx? Well, he had to learn Mars and Venus stuff, didn't he! He had to learn how to handle peaceful aggresivity, passive action, love and anger, and peaceful revolution. He had to learn how to deal with celibacy and he was a married man. He had to learn about what is "beautiful" and what is "ugly". He spent his life learning that. That's a Quincunx, I think!
The Sun opposing Neptune speaks to me of the relationship between Essence/Ego and Spirit. Obviously there were times in Gandhi's life when those two were involved in some major tension. Mind, intuition, Conscious voice, feeling. He had to find a middle ground in a situation as tricky as Passive, Non-violent Revolution. He had to find a middle ground, on a personal level, between mariage and celibacy, between faith and action. Pluto was there to help him take control when necessary, and Jupiter close by,so that luck (and his faith) would be on his side.  
Mars and Venus in Scorpio...? In the 2nd house (or around there anyway!) ... maybe that just assured that he would get what he needed, in terms of action and partnership and creativity, as long as he followed the path of his Grand Trine (The Saturn/Neptune/Moon path). He could work his fingers to the bone, if it was to provide security, if it was to transform the social picture.
Looking at his chart, I'd say that he had a hard time giving up love and temper. He really worked at it this time around!
So... one Astrodienst question was : what makes this the chart of a man who was able to take this struggle and make it a core moral force to lead a nation?"
It is Neptune and his aspects, the T-square and its tension, and through having the Sun in his 12th house that Gandhi found his way. He had to have a spirit big enough to real-ize that all of us came from the same mother, that every breath any one of us takes, affects the breath of all our brothers and sisters. And once he real-ized that, he found the force needed to lead a nation of individuals to a moral victory over their oppressors. He had the courage to take the necessary risks.
Sun in Libra, an air sign, and in the 12th also, says to me that Intuition played an enormous part in his decisions.
An those oppositions... they just put the spice in the pot... kept things interesting, as it were. Except maybe the Sun opposite Chiron, which I have found to be an indication of healing powers. People that lay hands on, and such.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 21.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Gimelstar

The startling feature here is the double opposition in fixed signs. There's real power and self-control. Pluto conjunct Jupiter integrates that tremendous reservoir of force into social action that is acceptable and harmoniously executed . The tension with the Mars-Venus pair in Scorpio, desposited by Pluto, adds to the unstated grace (Venus) and purpose (Mars) of the testimony made by this focus of will-power and control of energy. Violence isn't internalized, it is held in balance, with the Moon in Leo as a demonstration of purpose (10th house). That's yoga.
The sun in Libra (more tension in purpose) in the 12th house (universal unconscious) with only one aspect, the semi-sextile to Saturn, the planet most closely aligned with strength, focus and control. That's Mahatma Ghandi.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 25.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Pankaj

Simple: Convert this chart into a Sidereal one:
Moon is in nurturing and watery sign Cancer !! in the 10th house.
Venus is in Own sign Libra and it is Mars that is in detriment(indicating in a way concept of Non Violence and satyagraha).
His 12th house(renunciation) Sun was applying to a Conjunction of Venus in Libra and seperating from the opposition of Jupiter in 7th would,I guess,end up in a conflict resolution of this type-celibacy.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 26.05.2002 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Southern Cross

Presumably, rectification work was once done for 7:11:48 AM, but this was long ago and the supporting data are not available today. I therefore often try to replicate such hypothetical times, and my own progressions indicate Gandhi was born some minutes earlier. Modern astrologers who use Chiron can see this with transits, since Gandhi died of his wounds after being shot. Using 7AM(accurate to within 5 minutes), the converse Asc/converse MC made exact semi-sextiles with Moon/Jupiter, respectively, in July 1906. TrJu-Pl also conjoin the ninth-house cusp(Koch), which brings us back to Mary Phillip's emphasis on Neptune for interpretation. Natal Neptune forms an exact semi-sextile with natal Pluto/Jupiter, indicating the great political(Jupiter) power(Pluto) of idealism(Neptune). Neptune is also renunciation, and in the sixth house(of virtue) Gandhi practiced bramacharya, giving up such creature comforts as sex(Pluto) and fine food(in Taurus) to increase(Jupiter) his kundalini energy level(Pluto). Neptune(18*25'Aries)-Mars(18*24'Scorpio) is the most exact aspect on his chart. According to Robert Pelletier, this quincunx makes it adviseable to avoid machinery, and Gandhi led an anachronistic campaign against modern textiles in favor of the home loom. Going beyond this, he made a virtue of being assaulted and even killed by enemies(Scorpio Mars rules seventh). Gandhi was so sincere about passive non-violence that he resigned from the Congress Party in 1934 when he felt others were using it as a mere tactic. On 21March1939(TrSaturn 18*Aries), Gandhi called for universal disarmament, and when WWII broke out anyway he advised Churchill to stack arms and let the Germans occupy England. Learning later about the Holocaust, he felt the Jews should have committed suicide to call public attention to Hitler's evil. Like Jimmy Carter, another double-Libra man of peace, Gandhi had both his twelfth-house Sun and Ascendant in the sign of reconciliation. Gandhi, moreover, was a take-charge popular leader(MC ruler Leo Moon in tenth) and "Mahatma", whose Jupiter(great)-Moon(soul) was part of an augmented T-square. His unique approach to non-violence reflected his experiences as a lawyer for fellow Indians in South Africa(Uranus in ninth) which awoke his fearless Mars and other extremist Scorpio planets. As Roberta Feuerlicht points out, this works only when you have a civilized opponent, and Gandhi was powerfully(Pluto) lucky(Jupiter) to have the British as enemies(in the seventh). Hitler advised them to shoot Gandhi, but they didn't. Gandhi was raised in a tradition of Jainism and Vainavism, and was later influenced by Western pacifists such as Thoreau and Tolstoy. In his book "Stride toward Freedom", Martin Luther King's sixth fact about non-violence is that the believer has a "conviction that the universe is on the side of justice"(Libra) and a "great faith in the future"(Uranus in ninth). This mirrors US concern about justice for blacks(Saturn in Libra on US chart) as well as our belief that tomorrow will always be a better day. To the extent these values are exportable(Gandhi's Uranus and US Moon both in ninth houses), satyagraha's forward-looking Aquarian appeal is always valid. However, it can also turn out sterile(Uranus). Gandhi's own son broke with him and turned Muslim before dying an alcoholic, and Indian leaders have honored Gandhi more with words than non-violent deeds. Hindu tradition, moreover, does not mandate non-violence. In the Bhagavad-Gita, Lord Krishna offers himself as charioteer in the battle against the Kauravas. Reminding the reluctant warrior Arjuna of his duty to fight, Krishna says everyone born must die, and therefore universal justice is more important than mere human existence. Gandhi himself was an active(Mars) martyr(Neptune), and felt that violence was a lesser evil than passive cowardice.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 11.11.2002 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Julie

I completely understand the agony of the the tipping of the scales he endured, a constant weighing and challenging of what is right, and what is hidden inside ourselves. I was born ON OCT 2, 1969, one hundred years to the day as Gandi, I have and always have had a feeling of importance of my being here, and it has everything to do with the resolving and curing the human relationship via communicating, and doing so with little or perferably no conflict. Though I too struggle with my inner conflicts of anger, temper, and temptation just as he, I only hope to get past this and live up to what God has put me here for

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 11.05.2006 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User hugh balls

confusing

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 20.03.2007 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User andreas

c0o0ll i got gandhis astrology!!!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 04.05.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User ashok

it is so much interested

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 03.08.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Julien Peter Benney

Gandhi's T-square in fixed signs is undoubtedly the source of an iron will, especially with such planets as the Moon, Mars and Pluto involved. With Jupiter, the planet of values, added to this, we get an extremely intense focus on the fixed mode. Because fixed signs adhere to values very strongly, one obtains a person who will never sacrifice exceptionally strong values and will go to great lengths to maintain them.
Worth mentioning in this context is another great exponent of nonviolent struggle, Dorothy Day (whose chart I have studied because it is noticeably similar to my own natal chart). Day had a stellium in Scorpio just like Gandhi's, opposed to a Moon in Taurus, and she also was renowned for a violent temper and strong passion. Yet, Scorpio, though seen as wary, can actually be the most idealistic of signs that will never move from what it sees as principles that cannot be violated. that was seen throughout Day's work as muchas Gandhi's.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 13.10.2007 at 13:30 [UT+1] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User NAILESH PATEL

This chart has the assassination so obviouly shown, the meteoric rise to fame, the legacy, the record books - ita ll there - good chart for beginners of Astrology

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

As one of the largest astrology portals WWW.ASTRO.COM offers a lot of free features on the subject. With high-quality horoscope interpretations by the world's leading astrologers Liz Greene, Robert Hand and other authors, many free horoscopes and extensive information on astrology for beginners and professionals, www.astro.com is the first address for astrology on the web.
Homepage - Free Horoscopes - Astrodienst Onlineshop - Astrology Knowledge - Ephemeris - Authors and Staff - My Astro - Direct Atlas query - Sitemap - FAQ - Forum - Contact Astrodienst