Welcome as a guest in the Astrodienst forum. You can login to your Astro profile or register as a forum member.You can also remain in the guest status and navigate through this forum as a reader. 03.09.2014 at 05:36 [UT+1]

Forum Rules Home Help Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Astro-Databank: Maya Angelou (Read 241 times)
Astro-Databank
Global Moderator
Astrodienst Staff
Adb editor

Astro-Databank: Maya Angelou
« on: 04.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

Discussion about
Maya Angelou, born 4 April 1928 at 2:10 PM in Saint Louis MO

This discussion is imported from the  comment board on the  previous astrodatabank.com website.

That face! That voice! That spirit! Maya Angelou is a much-loved American sage, a multi-talented, multi-lingual writer who has lived the American dream of rags to riches while expressing the human need for meaning. She has shared her challenging and joyful journey with the world. Giving us the benefit of her wisdom and insight, she has endeared herself to us for all time. Let's examine her chart to see what it might reveal about this powerful voice
  • Angelou's work is deeply personal yet expresses the universal human experience. Where might such contributions show up in her chart?
  • If you've ever heard her speak, you know the deep resonance of her voice and her gorgeous, rich style of expression. Where would we see this in her chart?
  • This amazing woman experiences deep depression and isolation from time to time and then seems to rebound with renewed energy and lust for life. What in the chart represents this ebbing and flowing in her life, from darkness to light, from the depths to the mountain-top

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

re: Maya Angelou
« Reply #1 - on: 08.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jotown

1. Angelou's work is deeply personal yet expresses the universal human experience. Where might such contributions show up in her chart?
Sun conjunct Jupiter shows one who is wired to find a deeper meaning in all personal experiences, and the natural tendency to personalize the universal. Also Venus/Mercury conjunct in Pisces, disposited and in quincunx to Neptune (conjunct to, and probable ruler of the Ascendant) gives one the ability to look behind the veil and see that which connects us all. The Venus/Mercury conjunction in Pisces can give the ability to think in archetypal/symbolic/universal terms, and give expression to those values.
2. If you've ever heard her speak, you know the deep resonance of her voice and her gorgeous, rich style of expression. Where would we see this in her chart?  
Again, I would think that the Venus/Mercury conjunct in Pisces along with Neptune conjunct the Leo Ascendant go a long way towards her dramatic style. That same Venus/Mercury being square Saturn, and trine Pluto would lend power and resonance to her voice as well as well as her writing.
3. This amazing woman experiences deep depression and isolation from time to time and then seems to rebound with renewed energy and lust for life. What in the chart represents this ebbing and flowing in her life, from darkness to light, from the depths to the mountain-top.
Saturn trining Sun/Jupiter while also squaring Mercury (mind) and Venus which is also ruler of the third house, can lead to a tendency toward depression. Sun conjunct Jupiter gives the pathological optimist who can always see the light at the end of the tunnel. I would think this to be a sure recipe for bi-polarity in a less conscious soul.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #2 - on: 08.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Penelope

1. Jotown covered this one for me. I might add that the Taurus MC ruled by the Piscean Venus would also open up the Taurus energy, which is the personal and private and sensual to a more universal expression.
2. I also see these placements as what gives her voice such resonance - Taurus rules the throat and the Venus conjunct Mercury adds to the beauty of her spoken words as well as that which she writes.
3. As with many of the other charts we've seen on this page - there is a cardinal T-Square: Sun/Jupiter opposed to the Moon and square Pluto with the empty leg in the 5th house of creativity, romance and children. Her children are her poems and likely where she works out her challenges.  
There is also a square from the Venus/Mercury to Saturn which doesn't bode well for relationships and would address the isolation issues. This aspect is also what helps her hone her writing to a fine edge.
Mars isn't at its best in the 7th even with the Venus/Mercury, particularly since those planets essentially on the cusp of the 8th house. Its placement in Aquarius would make her pretty independant and the opposition to Neptune might make her a bit unrealistic about the partners she does choose.
Her Sun/Jupiter gives her the optimism to keep going - combined with the Leo ASC. Although Neptune on the ASC with the Leo placement is an indication of someone who is also a good actor, so it's difficult to say if the bouyancy is always real. Sun and Jupiter are in the 8th, after all.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #3 - on: 08.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

One other point - I had no idea she was so tall. Neptune on the ASC again with the chart ruler Sun conjunct Jupiter. A truly larger than life human being.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #4 - on: 08.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User luis

Penelope Hi, I could not find the charts comments section in astrosalon.I think she is tall because her chart's ruler is between Uranus and Jupiter two planets known to produce tall people.
Drastic changes in life, Sun conj Uranus related to Divorces,relationships,conflicts in partnership, her sign's ruler Mars in VII,also, Sun, Jupiter and Uranus in Aries(self)Aries and Leo the most selfish signs, opposing Moon in Libra, this woman is so busy thinking on herself, writing on herself that she has no time for another person in her life.
Her early rape, Sun in square aspect with Pluto in cancer(sex,violence in the house)disposed by Moon in Libra, caused by her mother's boyfriend.
Saturn in Sag is often found in persons working as writers, publishing,books, in addition,Neptuno strongly related with poets is disposed by her Sun ,opposed by her sign's ruler.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #5 - on: 09.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Zart

Obviously the woman was born for prose and poetry. (dance is the body's poetry)
The aspects that stand out to me begin with the Pisces Mercury conjunct Venus combined with her chart ruler Sun in Aries in the 8th. I think that is where the poet originates. The ruling planet of the 8th house, Neptune, conjunct Leo ASC house is what gives her the oratory showmanship to display her unconventional wares with elan rather than as one whose poetry would be read by someone else. As already mentioned the Venus MC gives her voice the rich quality.
The oppositions to her Libra (Venus) Moon in the Virgo (Mercury) 2nd from Jupiter/Sun in Aries (Mars) looks like a tug of war between her heart and the higher calling of her destiny as a consumate artist. N-node Gemini (Mercury) in the Taurus (Venus) 10th. The higher calling had to win as the 5th house ruler Jupiter conjunct Sun trines 6th house ruler Saturn in Sagittarius posited in the driven Scorpio (Mars) 4th house. Libra Moon square Pluto (Scorpio) in Cancer (Moon) and inconjunct Mars (Scorpio) indicates to me that emotional balance was derived in her case via the Jovian influenced task master posited in her 4th (natural house of the Moon) ... Saturn.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #6 - on: 09.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Jotown

PENELOPE: I was wondering about the T-square as well. It seems that charts with a Sun/Moon opposition can show one who can be argumentative, and/or have a tendency to project there lunar issues onto the other. When you toss in the square that both of these planets receive from Pluto, I would think you would get a potentially volatile personality, especially in matters of the 4th house which Pluto rules. I would be interested to hear how others see this.
Also there is another pattern, and I have not been able to find a name for it. I refer to it as a square Yod. Mars in Aquarius in the 7th receives a sesquisquare from both the Moon and Pluto who also square each other. To me this would imply that in relationships (7th house) the Pluto/Moon square would find itself being expressed to the partner in a not so conscious way. Also with an Aquarius Mars there may be some aloofness in how the volcanic Moon/Pluto affects the partner. In other words; this would be very difficult person to live with, especially in conjunction with the T-Square whose focal planet is Pluto and rules the 4th (Home)  
Again, I would love to hear how others see this pattern, and I would really like to know if there is a name for the Square Yod.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #7 - on: 09.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Dawn Woodhouse

Seventh house extremely afflicted with the malefic combination of Mars, Saturn, Ketu and Venus occupying it is responsible for her early rape in Mars ruling period.
Saturn signifies the partner of the mother, hence the rape by the mothers boyfriend.
As the seventh house is so afflicted, its very hard to form lasting partnerships in life.
What is interesting is that a jaimini Rajayoga for rise in life is also is created by the Atmakaraka Mars and Amaytakaraka Saturn together in the highly afflicted seventh house. As Saturn is Yogakaraka for Taurus Lagna thats a combination for increase in material fortune.  
Shes a very tough individual.
Saturns position in the nakshatra and sub of Mercury/Venus shows the nature of her rise in writing. 1971-1991 Saturn ruled.
Jupiter Uranus in the 11th house is a good combination for making money.
The disposition of the second house of accumulated wealth makes me wonder if she has retained or spent her wealth?

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #8 - on: 09.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

Dawn - I'm not familiar with Vedic, but the Tropical chart has Saturn in the 4th, close to the 5th house cusp. I don't see how it can be read as 7th house. Also, and this is just curiosity - how can Venus in the 7th be read as a malefic. Again, I don't have knowledge of Vedic and have seen you comment on Venus in this way in the past, so assume it is part of the Vedic system of delineation.
Jotown - I have never heard of a square Yod, but will research it. Love looking up new stuff.
Her Moon is also opposed to Uranus - another sign of difficult interpersonal relationships.
Going back to my original suggestion - my sense is that she has taken all of her enormous energy and put it into her creative work. Saturn is close to the cusp which puts great demands on her creativity, but also allows her to solidify the work and promote it. Nice to have a business sense along with the talent.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #9 - on: 09.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User dawn

my error, chart miscalculation

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #10 - on: 09.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User Dawn.

Well I looked at the chart and really as MA is not anyone I have ever heard of I did not wish to be disparaging about her talents which were not at all obvious in the chart I was looking at, in case someone was upset on the forum. As it happens the lack of talent showing was due to my misreading the birth details, and drawing up a completely different chart. laughs. oh well...  
As it happens, Venus ruling 3rd and 10th house, conjunct with Mercury and rajayoga karaka mars aspecting Neptune should give poetical and dance ability. Mercury Neptune is very imaginative. Venus will help make it soft and appealing.
Mercury Mars gives physical dexterity.
Amakaraka and amatya karaka by coincidence is Venus and Mercury placed in the 7th house, a jaimini raja yoga. Its a hellava lot nicer one that Saturn Mars. which was quite horrible.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #11 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

Hi Dawn - I don't think anyone was upset. You are generally so thorough that I thought I had missed something.
MA does have quite a lot to deal with in her chart without Mars/Saturn in the 7th (an condition I live with). It can be difficult, it's true. But, much like the person who is born blind, I don't know anything other than that aspect and have learned to live with and deal with it.  
In your earlier post, you did mention something about Venus as a malefic. I realize that you edited that, however, would Venus still be an issue in her chart as a malefic? If not, when would Venus be considered a malefic, since I have read that in at least one of your other posts.
We've had many discussions about good and bad aspects and I am aware that too much of a good thing, is not a good thing. So this would make sense with both Venus and Jupiter.
Also, since many of the charts we've been looking at are of successful people and contain difficult aspects - this one is a prime example. Maybe these challenging aspects are what propel them.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #12 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User dawn

What I said was 'malefic combination' which means a combination, not that each of those planets is malefic. smiles.
Any house or planet that recieves the joint aspect or occupation of Rahu Saturn Mars is under extreme affliction. It will be allievated if either Saturn or Mars is acting as a temporary benefic.
Well i must admit I mistyped or misread the chart information, and did not look at the chart on screen. Also I was unfamiliar with MA or her work, and I admit at the time since you are bringing this up repeatedly penelope, my attention was elsewhere: I was a little surprised that Astrodatabank chose someone anonymous internationally when theres so many newsmaker figures actually featured in the news recently. For example Russell Crowe, whos filming of eucalyptus fell apart, then he revealed his near kidnapping by al qaida. Prince Charles and Camilla the wedding and ongoing drama, the BTK killer, Kofi Annan, Belosconi etc. I am sure everyone can think of many more. I was thinking 'why are we looking at this person?" instead of checking chart details.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #13 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User

Any penelope, in terms of being upset, I recall when it was mentioned that the Mars Rahu Moon aspect in the 6th house was very malefic of Moore, a number of people became very upset. I have no idea why, but some people take aspects personally.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #14 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

In my assessment of a maleficly influenced Venus I would like to add my two cents about the negative possibilities concerning the pretty planet.  
I think it's possible for Venus to put a nice face on a negative quality camouflaging it with aesthetic appeal and charm. It puts an "It's not how you feel but how you look" quality on things.
Then there is the quality where a person is not taken seriously because of a strong Venus placement.
Orrrrrr.... it can draw unwarranted attention upon the person as may have been the case surrounding the rape of the 7 year old (Saturn squared) Marguerite Johnson (Maya's birth name).
In MA's case Mercury/Venus conjunction in the Aquarius 7th where it resides with Mars receiving strong aspects from Moon/Pluto and Neptune. I think she learned the hard way how attractive she appeared (as well as bold in an unconventional sense). Her best bet was to stop all communication until around the time her Saturn was making its first move in opposition of the natal position and she learned to channel this quality towards better ends.
I think the 7th house Aquarius cusp is more indicative of "progressive thinking" parents who didn't reign in her charming qualities and an aptly timed Saturn transit stepped in. As the sapling is bent so grows the tree.
My feeling about her marriage "problems" or multiple encounters with the institution has more to do with her suitors fell in love with image and not with soul. An Aries soul in a Pisces house cusp would be a "hard dog to keep under the porch" with out at least a snorkel but better yet a deep sea suit is in order.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #15 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

Thanks for the clarification, Dawn. Soemtimes it takes awhile for new information to sink in. The concept of Venus combinations being difficult, especially with Saturn, as is the case in MA's chart. As far as getting upset, things on that page did get heated. Personally, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf in that area - Uranus transitting all my Pisces stuff - talk about distractions!
Anyway, I offered Rader's birth time to ADB and was asked to secure a copy of the birth certificate, which I don't have access to. I believe that they are trying to post charts where there is complete and validated birth information since a few charts on the page now have questionable times and make for faulty observations.  
RE MA: It's likely that due to her wide acclaim in the United States it was assumed that she was equally well known internationally.
Zart: Regarding Venus - I like to look at the actual physical nature of the planets when dealing with charts. For example, Saturn is filled with gas and is physically very light - so light that if it were possible, it would float on the Atlantic Ocean. Pluto, on the other hand, is very dense and heavy - deceptively so.
Venus is surrounded by poisonous gases and the surface isn't visible because of this noxious fog. This is not to say that falling in love isn't a great thing, but beauty can be deceptive. Also, to create beauty often takes extreme effort and hardship. I always think of how lovely a ballerina looks when dancing, but am also aware of the long-term physical damage that beauty causes to the feet and hips.  
This is obvious in MA's work - a person who has suffered greatly, but creates beauty out of an in spite of the damage. This is probably the best expression of the Venus/Saturn Square.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #16 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

Hi Again, Dawn: I tried to find birth data on Kofi Annan and keep seeing "birth time unknown." I did a comparison of his solar chart with the Tsunami, which was fascinating.
I think if you can provide birth info that can be confirmed, Pat would be more than willing to post that chart. At least that's the response I have received to my requests.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #17 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

And, yet again, Dawn...
Regarding getting upset over aspects being called one thing or another. It's tough to share an aspect or combination with someone on these pages and have that aspect addressed as "horrible" or whatever. When I discovered that Dolly Parton shared that stinker of a Mars/Saturn with me, my estimation of her rose immeasurably. Nothing like shared misery to instill a sense of sisterhood!

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #18 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

Maya's chart ruler the Sun in 8th with Pisces (natural 12th house ruler) on the cusp and Neptune in the 1st may be the reason that this internationally recognized figure is a "headliner" where ever she appears and somehow manages to escape notice of the "tabloid" news media.

IP Logged
Adb web user
Ex Member

« Reply #19 - on: 10.03.2005 at 12:30 [UT] »

reply by Astrodatabank Web User cynthia novak

Hi All
There is a lot of energy flowing today <great grins>
Penelope, I do understand the sting when an aspect is called "horrible." But some times they are. What the individual makes of that tough combination is the real testament of the spirit. I'll put my T-squares (yes more than one) up to anyone's trines any day. (she says with the passion of Pluto aspecting everything.
Dawn, in the US MA has come to be a symbol of life transformation. I believe that she acknowledged being a prostitute when she was young. Oprah quotes her as saying something like this: When a child didn't know better she couldn't do better, now she knows better and so will do better. I think I've butchered it but you gett the idea.
To be a black woman at that time in the US, to rise out of limitation and become a loving, giving powerful maternal figure is part of her great gift. If you ever heard her voice you would feel how big she is as a person. and that voice!
Astrologically, that voice must be the tight union of Mercury and Venus. The depression and ultimate practical mysticism is the Mars Neptune. Now that might be the prostitution. It surely is the multiple marriages. It's not an easy aspect. But she took it and transformed it into something great.
That Jupiter (speaking sidereally now) in Pisces in the 8th is the great teacher. But the 8th is the house of Life and Death. That journey into the underworld with much to share upon return is shown in this 8th house. Sure, another person might get stuck in sex and money, but she having once sold herself for money takes that experience and offers the hope that anyone, no matter how difficult life (or aspects) can ascend. She tells her story so others can step out of shame one experience at a time.
That Jupiter is in tight union with the Sun. It makes a raja or powerful union, but it falls in the 8th house. She chose enlightenment and has been financially rewarded. It is the house of other people's money. Her dear friend Oprah Winfrey treats her with the grace and dignity of a wise mentor and the love of a daughter. Oprah's word or praise translates into a best seller. It give a vehicle for the teachings. Wow! What a way to manifest the tricky 8th house.
Still, it is the 8th so another indication of depression. The SUn is the life-force energy and it goes to the underworld in this chart. It comes out as teachings.
There is even a school with her name on it. They take the children from really difficult circumstances. They take them before school, keep them after school and give them counseling. I heard it described as trauma internvetion on NPR today. The percentage of these kids who go on to college is 80%. Her name and her value for education goes out into the wor.d
That is Merucury lord of the 11th (groups) with Venus lord of the 3rd (writing, cretivity, courage) and the 10th. A wealth producing union but again brings her out into the public eye. Mars is lord of 4 (home, family happiness) and 9th (dharma) Making that Mars a raja yoga and shows that while her marriages were likely difficult (probably as much because of her will as the man's) she transforms the experience. Mars with Merucury is a wealth producing combination, Mars with Venus another raja yoga, Venus Mercury is wealth producing. So you see, the combinations are there for success.  
 I suspect it is her personal will and broad-reaching quest for understanding that pulls her up. Otherwise, she might have simply been in the business of making money through her partnerships and contacts (all those 7th house planets). Instead her wisdom brings her in contact with powerful people and she is marketed to the world for that compassion and wisdom.
One more thing...I know I'm rambling. HEr Venus and Merucry are in the mansion called (the happy feet) I swear that keeps coming up in the charts of folks who love to dance.
Keep the good conversation flowing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Current Planets
3-Sep-2014, 04:36 UT/GMT
Sun10Virgo37'17"
Moon19Sagittarius46'48"
Mercury1Libra26'30"
Venus26Leo53' 6"
Mars22Scorpio58'36"
Jupiter10Leo36'49"